PDA

View Full Version : "Reception" class -what age?

mumofone
09-01-2015, 08:36 AM
What age is a child in "reception class" and how are the school years structured now? It's changed since I was at school!

Simona
09-01-2015, 08:45 AM
What age is a child in "reception class" and how are the school years structured now? It's changed since I was at school!

Children enter reception at 4 ..so the terms after they reach their 4th birthday even those children born 31 August...and youngest in the class

mumofone
09-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Children enter reception at 4 ..so the terms after they reach their 4th birthday even those children born 31 August...and youngest in the class

Thanks Simona :-) and then how is it done until they go to secondary/high school at age 12 into year 7?

Simona
09-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks Simona :-) and then how is it done until they go to secondary/high school at age 12 into year 7?

Oh my goodness...I am not the best at this but I believe it is in Key Stages ...KS1 and KS2 ...KS1 is year 1.... after reception.... and so on
I am sure someone else will explain the school system better than I can :thumbsup:

moggy
09-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Sept after 4th birthday = start reception year

Infant school =
age 4-5yr reception
5-6yr Y1
6-7yr Y2

Junior school (can be in same school as infant years, know as 'through primary')=
7-8yr Y3
8-9yr Y4
9-10yr Y5
10-11yr Y6

Senior school=
11-12yr Y7
and so on for Y8 and Y9
Y10 and Y11 are GCSE years
Y12 and Y13 are A-levels etc 'sixth form college' or at school etc

EXCEPT areas that have 'middle school', and they are different.

mumofone
09-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Sept after 4th birthday = start reception year Infant school = age 4-5yr reception 5-6yr Y1 6-7yr Y2 Junior school (can be in same school as infant years, know as 'through primary')= 7-8yr Y3 8-9yr Y4 9-10yr Y5 10-11yr Y6 Senior school= 11-12yr Y7 and so on for Y8 and Y9 Y10 and Y11 are GCSE years Y12 and Y13 are A-levels etc 'sixth form college' or at school etc EXCEPT areas that have 'middle school', and they are different.

Fantastic, thanks so much Moggy :-))) (as always!)

bunyip
09-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Oh my goodness...I am not the best at this but I believe it is in Key Stages ...KS1 and KS2 ...KS1 is year 1.... after reception.... and so on
I am sure someone else will explain the school system better than I can :thumbsup:

Thanks Simona. Mein Gott, but it's a relief to know I can finally come out of the closet and admit to being confused by all the years/key stages, and not be all alone.

The only thing I know is: no matter how old they are, any child undergoing transition from preschool to infants; from infants to juniors; or from juniors to secondary, will be going up to "Big School." :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

k1rstie
09-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Don't forget 'rising 5's' -the time they are in a reception class or equivalent, between the age of 4 and 5

mumofone
09-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Don't forget 'rising 5's' -the time they are in a reception class or equivalent, between the age of 4 and 5

Lol just to complicate matters! Thanks kristie :-))

Simona
09-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks Simona. Mein Gott, but it's a relief to know I can finally come out of the closet and admit to being confused by all the years/key stages, and not be all alone.

The only thing I know is: no matter how old they are, any child undergoing transition from preschool to infants; from infants to juniors; or from juniors to secondary, will be going up to "Big School." :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

Bunyip...I have lived in England for more than 40 years and still can't make 'head or tail' of the school system :angry:
Every time I think I have got it...along comes the next govt and changes everything....so I assume Tristram Hunt will do the same as Gove and confuse me even more :rolleyes:...that is if he gets elected but then ....anything is better than Gove and his successor :D

bunyip
09-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Yeah, like I'm not confused already. :p

bunyip
09-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Bunyip...I have lived in England for more than 40 years and still can't make 'head or tail' of the school system :angry:
Every time I think I have got it...along comes the next govt and changes everything....so I assume Tristram Hunt will do the same as Gove and confuse me even more :rolleyes:...that is if he gets elected but then ....anything is better than Gove and his successor :D

I just think that if you're not prepared to go out and riot, then do you have the right to complain about the way the country is run? :rolleyes: