PDA

View Full Version : Childrens Sleep Needs vs the Routine of the Setting

Tealady
07-01-2015, 10:42 PM
What do you all do about children in your care who need to sleep:

-Do you try and adjust your routine so they can sleep in line with their routine at home.

-Do you ensure they get a chance to sleep for the amount of time (or near enough) parents feel they need, although sleeps need to fit around your routine. So whilst they get more or less enough sleep it may not be at the same times as home.

-You have your schedule and routine that doesn't necessaily factor in time for naps. Children sleep where and when they drift off.

-Or something else?

natlou82
08-01-2015, 06:46 AM
I tend to go out first thing (toddler group or similar) then on the way back the little ones tend to fall asleep in the pushchair. They are a similar age and parents both prefer 1 long sleep midday so it works great at the minute.

AliceK
08-01-2015, 07:59 AM
I will make sure LO's have the amount of sleep they need but it may not be at the same times as they might at home but I find they generally get into a new routine pretty quickly. I always like them to have the amount of sleep they need otherwise they just get really really grumpy. Usually sleep time is after lunch here.

xxx

clareelizabeth1
08-01-2015, 08:36 AM
I always tell parents I'm child led so I watch the children and put them down when they need it this does tend to be about the same time each day.

Yesterday the 6 month old had a nap at group in the sling and then had a sleep for most of the afternoon in a carry cot. Yet on Monday she needed three sleeps

The two year old had 1 sleep in the afternoon and that tends to be the same each day unless coming down with something.

Ripeberry
08-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Where and when they drift off. Over the years my mindees have always wanted to nap just when it was the school runs. So they sleep in the car, I just leave a bit earlier and drive around before getting to school. Otherwise, if I let them sleep in the house, I'd have to wake them and they'd be grumpy all the time and not get their sleep.

moggy
08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Mine have mostly started with me at about 12mths old and they have all fallen into 'my' routine of short morning nap in buggy on the way to an activity (or cot if at home) and a long nap after lunch. The rest of the time we are busy active or eating so they are awake anyway.

I encourage these sleep times by lying down in buggy in morning when going out + dummy or comforter, and our naptime routine in the afternoon (lunch/nappychange/up to cot) works well and they know the song I sign then too. Then they drop the morning nap after a few months and carry on with the afternoon nap which then becomes a 'rest' and story CD for the older ones.

Even though some have come to me with completely opposite nap routines they have all fallen into my routine and it works well for all- the long afternoon nap helps them keep going through the afternoon and evening (some here to 5.30/6pm). I can't get buggy in house so if they fell asleep on school run at 3.30pm it wouldn't work at all as I'd have to wake them after 10-15mins :panic:. I rarely drive with them so can't use that time for naps either.

I often have all 3 napping for 1-2 hours after lunch at the same time, so I can get LJ/paperwork etc done... and a hot cup of tea!:blush:

smurfette
08-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Mine have mostly started with me at about 12mths old and they have all fallen into 'my' routine of short morning nap in buggy on the way to an activity (or cot if at home) and a long nap after lunch. The rest of the time we are busy active or eating so they are awake anyway. I encourage these sleep times by lying down in buggy in morning when going out + dummy or comforter, and our naptime routine in the afternoon (lunch/nappychange/up to cot) works well and they know the song I sign then too. Then they drop the morning nap after a few months and carry on with the afternoon nap which then becomes a 'rest' and story CD for the older ones. Even though some have come to me with completely opposite nap routines they have all fallen into my routine and it works well for all- the long afternoon nap helps them keep going through the afternoon and evening (some here to 5.30/6pm). I can't get buggy in house so if they fell asleep on school run at 3.30pm it wouldn't work at all as I'd have to wake them after 10-15mins :panic:. I rarely drive with them so can't use that time for naps either. I often have all 3 napping for 1-2 hours after lunch at the same time, so I can get LJ/paperwork etc done... and a hot cup of tea!:blush:

This is what I do too

Rubybubbles
08-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Mine have mostly started with me at about 12mths old and they have all fallen into 'my' routine of short morning nap in buggy on the way to an activity (or cot if at home) and a long nap after lunch. The rest of the time we are busy active or eating so they are awake anyway. I encourage these sleep times by lying down in buggy in morning when going out + dummy or comforter, and our naptime routine in the afternoon (lunch/nappychange/up to cot) works well and they know the song I sign then too. Then they drop the morning nap after a few months and carry on with the afternoon nap which then becomes a 'rest' and story CD for the older ones. Even though some have come to me with completely opposite nap routines they have all fallen into my routine and it works well for all- the long afternoon nap helps them keep going through the afternoon and evening (some here to 5.30/6pm). I can't get buggy in house so if they fell asleep on school run at 3.30pm it wouldn't work at all as I'd have to wake them after 10-15mins :panic:. I rarely drive with them so can't use that time for naps either. I often have all 3 napping for 1-2 hours after lunch at the same time, so I can get LJ/paperwork etc done... and a hot cup of tea!:blush:

Now this is what I have been used to for the past 10 years, everyone sleeping 2-3 hours after lunch. Well I just haven't got that with this mix of children haha! Just started back after christmas and have cut down so I only have am school run so hopefully will be able to start getting everyone into a routine again! I had one asleep 11-1, another 12-2 and one awake!! We shall get there haha!!

Made lunch a bit odd today !

I use travel cots unless they fall asleep in pram which I can put right up to my door and see/hear in secure garden :-)

loocyloo
08-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Mine have mostly started with me at about 12mths old and they have all fallen into 'my' routine of short morning nap in buggy on the way to an activity (or cot if at home) and a long nap after lunch. The rest of the time we are busy active or eating so they are awake anyway.

I encourage these sleep times by lying down in buggy in morning when going out + dummy or comforter, and our naptime routine in the afternoon (lunch/nappychange/up to cot) works well and they know the song I sign then too. Then they drop the morning nap after a few months and carry on with the afternoon nap which then becomes a 'rest' and story CD for the older ones.

Even though some have come to me with completely opposite nap routines they have all fallen into my routine and it works well for all- the long afternoon nap helps them keep going through the afternoon and evening (some here to 5.30/6pm). I can't get buggy in house so if they fell asleep on school run at 3.30pm it wouldn't work at all as I'd have to wake them after 10-15mins :panic:. I rarely drive with them so can't use that time for naps either.

I often have all 3 napping for 1-2 hours after lunch at the same time, so I can get LJ/paperwork etc done... and a hot cup of tea!:blush:

Me too!
Only downside is newest LO doesn't have a comforter at all so am trying to introduce a cuddlie at sleep time so that I will then be able to sort sleep time out!