PDA

View Full Version : Oh for goodness sake!!

smurfette
06-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Grr sorry just having a rant! Have worked with one mum for the last four years, had the older one who is now in school since 18 months and still do sometimes, middle one been with me since one month and new baby born in oct hasn't yet started .. I had a space come up in oct and talked to mum about what she needed for baby (she is self employed ) and she was all no don't need anything for ages.. So I filled the space. Now happily full I think until June .. Unforeseen circumstances not withstanding ! Today she says to me have you any space for baba?! No! Can't just produce one to order! I know it's an enviable position but I have had my times when can't fill the Spaces but honestly she never thinks ahead (we have a free playschool year here at age 3, and her plan was to move older one to that for three full days a week to free up space with me for middle one .. But didn't get organised in time and lost the preschool space!) you would think she would have learned. Oh and this is also the mum who has been moving house for the last two years but can't actually decide if staying in or moving out of area so I never know where I am! Just before Christmas they had house repainted and put a lot of furniture into storage and dropped into conversation she would be leaving it there as house going on the market ! (In past they were gonna buy one but not sell theirs just rent it out) now she is talking about sept with me as middle one is due for the free year . Head spinning!!!

shortstuff
06-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Your patience must be being tested to the max!

loocyloo
06-01-2015, 08:15 PM
HUGS.

how frustrating for you. I'm frustrated and they are not even a family of mine !!!

I've got a new LO starting tomorrow ... granny has been looking after LO, but only wanted to do 2 days, not 3 ... mum said she had been explaining to granny that it wasn't a 'pick and choose what day' type of thing, LO booked in with me on a Wednesday as per grannys preference! mum rang tonight ... granny has now told her that actually, she only wants to do 1 day a week! I don't have a spare day! I 'might' have a day coming free in march ... who knows! mum was very frustrated with granny! ( and its her mum! )

oh and I also had a phone call from someone saying ' we'd like to start at the beginning of feb ' ??? who are you ??? ... turns out to be someone I spoke to about a year ago! they didn't even come and visit or anything!

samb
06-01-2015, 08:49 PM
I have a family the opposite - super organised but frustratingly so as they want to know definite spaces now for months in advance. I thought I had offered them amazing package and she is still pushing for more. Im getting really frustrated. Older one I have had since 10 months and is due to start funded hours from Easter. Funding here is 66% of my usual fee and mum is cutting hours to only use funded hours whilst on maternity and I am charging a 30% retainer for baby's space. So basically I am getting paid less for both spaces than I would for 1 child who is not funded. I've now been asked to put in writing more changes for sept (when baby is due to start). Just getting frustrated now.

smurfette
06-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Wouldn't this job be so much easier without the parents lol?! Loocy loo you were having same probs as me last year weren't you, I had four of my 5 parents all pregnant and leaving at different times do you remember? You couldn't get yours slotted properly in together either.! Granny I suppose will have to manage on two days Til you get a second one what else can they do?!

Apparently dad of this one said to mum 'it would be awful if smurfette couldn't take him' .. Then why not organise yourself when I asked you so I could?! Like I said they have been moving for two years lol!

smurfette
06-01-2015, 09:09 PM
I have a family the opposite - super organised but frustratingly so as they want to know definite spaces now for months in advance. I thought I had offered them amazing package and she is still pushing for more. Im getting really frustrated. Older one I have had since 10 months and is due to start funded hours from Easter. Funding here is 66% of my usual fee and mum is cutting hours to only use funded hours whilst on maternity and I am charging a 30% retainer for baby's space. So basically I am getting paid less for both spaces than I would for 1 child who is not funded. I've now been asked to put in writing more changes for sept (when baby is due to start). Just getting frustrated now.

Samb that actually Sounds worse my sympathies!! You have been more than fair she is getting a good deal there!

smurfette
06-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Your patience must be being tested to the max!

Yeah huh! Certainly is!

loocyloo
06-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Wouldn't this job be so much easier without the parents lol?! Loocy loo you were having same probs as me last year weren't you, I had four of my 5 parents all pregnant and leaving at different times do you remember? You couldn't get yours slotted properly in together either.! Granny I suppose will have to manage on two days Til you get a second one what else can they do?!

Apparently dad of this one said to mum 'it would be awful if smurfette couldn't take him' .. Then why not organise yourself when I asked you so I could?! Like I said they have been moving for two years lol!

Yep ... That was me! Got them all settled and sorted and then another set of conundrums occurs!
It will work out ... I find it usually does. I'm trying to be more relaxed about it all!

Hope yours settles down... Can you take a sibling baby under continuity of care?

loocyloo
06-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Yep ... That was me! Got them all settled and sorted and then another set of conundrums occurs!
It will work out ... I find it usually does. I'm trying to be more relaxed about it all!

Hope yours settles down... Can you take a sibling baby under continuity of care?

Lol ... Just had another mum text me ... Child is upset at coming so mum wants to discuss. She thinks its because he associates being with me when mum and dad are away ... They were away individually alot last term (always one at home ... But preoccupied ) And actually I was the only stable thing! Child was with assorted different friends other days and even got dropped off and picked up from me by friends and really didn't know if he was coming or going as no routine! Poor thing. Obviously child can't articulate that and so is creating about coming to me. Just got to work out how to tell parent this!
Plus child is not boss in my house and this has been a hard lesson. 2 weeks hols and constant parental attention is going to make it hard again! Arghhh!

smurfette
07-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Lol ... Just had another mum text me ... Child is upset at coming so mum wants to discuss. She thinks its because he associates being with me when mum and dad are away ... They were away individually alot last term (always one at home ... But preoccupied ) And actually I was the only stable thing! Child was with assorted different friends other days and even got dropped off and picked up from me by friends and really didn't know if he was coming or going as no routine! Poor thing. Obviously child can't articulate that and so is creating about coming to me. Just got to work out how to tell parent this! Plus child is not boss in my house and this has been a hard lesson. 2 weeks hols and constant parental attention is going to make it hard again! Arghhh!

Ah no that's not fair.. Sounds like you were the only consistent one!! All a nightmare now they are back love my time off but don't like resettling them and re establishing we are boss! Hope chat goes ok with mum

All the pregnant ones are gone on maternity, one I had to give notice to early cos I simply couldn't make it fit to get someone to replace and I kept losing money as they were all leaving a day at a time.. Felt awful but had to look after is first

One emigrated, one has got an au pair as daddy does shift and I couldn't fit both little ones in .. Couldn't hold two spaces full time for what was either one or two days a week or sometimes non at all. The fourth one is the mum I posted about.

We don't have continuity of care here, (Ireland) just a limit of three under preschool age. I can ask to have more if I want to take more on a full time basis but it is more red tape cos I have to notify another department and this then triggers inspections etc., I am classed as casually minding now and we don't have to do any paperwork etc! The problem really is I took her middle one on odd hours when I had her older one cos I could manage as the other three I had were 2.5/3 years and it was just odd hours so was ok.. But now on the days I have her middle one and therefore the days she would want me to have baby I also have a one year old and the others are toilet training or just about to. To be honest I don't feel inclined to make my life harder for the few euros she would pay me wouldn't be worth it! ESP if they aren't possibly staying! She should have got herself organised .. Due back at work next month! She can do a lot at home even with the baby I think it's meetings really she needs help with., well daddy will have to have some time off or someone in family will have to help!

natlou82
07-01-2015, 07:57 AM
You do need to be super organised to do this job and I don't think parents realise that. Yesterday I had a little one not picked up on time cause both parents had not communicated what time pick up was!!

smurfette
07-01-2015, 12:22 PM
You do need to be super organised to do this job and I don't think parents realise that. Yesterday I had a little one not picked up on time cause both parents had not communicated what time pick up was!!

For real?! That's crazy!

Kiddleywinks
07-01-2015, 01:42 PM
oh and I also had a phone call from someone saying ' we'd like to start at the beginning of feb ' ??? who are you ??? ... turns out to be someone I spoke to about a year ago! they didn't even come and visit or anything!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Can't believe I had exactly the same thing happen! Conversation went along the lines of
'Hi Kiddleywinks it's X again, Happy New year'
Errr... Happy New Year - sorry, who is it again?
'Oh, it's X ABC. Y and Z's mum'
Nope..., sorry...., can't place you. What can I do for you?
'Well, I'd like Y to start on Monday before and after school and Z to do 8 - 6pm, work have confirmed full time hours from Monday'
Ah right, well then, erm... we seem to have a problem, as I don't actually have any available spaces currently, and I can't see your name on my waiting list.... Have we actually met?
'Yes, I came over the other month and you said just to let you know what hours I needed. So what am I going to do now if you can't have them?!'
I'm really sorry, but when you say the other month - which month exactly as I still can't see your name, and to be honest, I've not really had any spaces for the best part of 2 years....

It was 2 1/2 years ago!! When I first started up and had spaces galore!
Gave her some numbers and sent her on her merry way :rolleyes:

loocyloo
07-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Ah no that's not fair.. Sounds like you were the only consistent one!! All a nightmare now they are back love my time off but don't like resettling them and re establishing we are boss! Hope chat goes ok with mum

All the pregnant ones are gone on maternity, one I had to give notice to early cos I simply couldn't make it fit to get someone to replace and I kept losing money as they were all leaving a day at a time.. Felt awful but had to look after is first

One emigrated, one has got an au pair as daddy does shift and I couldn't fit both little ones in .. Couldn't hold two spaces full time for what was either one or two days a week or sometimes non at all. The fourth one is the mum I posted about.

;-) and I thought mine were complicated!

Well .. Mum came back for a coffee this morning... I explained that I thought LO was using me as a 'catch all' for everything plus with me, life was 'normal' whereas with the friends he was pandered to! ( Didn't quite say it like that! ) mum wants LO to carry on coming but 'has to listen to child' so if LO keeps creating, child will leave! Hey Ho! Will miss child but LO is hard work. Plus side ... currently uses some funded hours and if leaves mid term I still get funding paid for whole term!

But LO came happily, pottered round exploring and waved mum off without a backward glance!

loocyloo
07-01-2015, 01:52 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:
Can't believe I had exactly the same thing happen! Conversation went along the lines of
'Hi Kiddleywinks it's X again, Happy New year'
Errr... Happy New Year - sorry, who is it again?
'Oh, it's X ABC. Y and Z's mum'
Nope..., sorry...., can't place you. What can I do for you?
'Well, I'd like Y to start on Monday before and after school and Z to do 8 - 6pm, work have confirmed full time hours from Monday'
Ah right, well then, erm... we seem to have a problem, as I don't actually have any available spaces currently, and I can't see your name on my waiting list.... Have we actually met?
'Yes, I came over the other month and you said just to let you know what hours I needed. So what am I going to do now if you can't have them?!'
I'm really sorry, but when you say the other month - which month exactly as I still can't see your name, and to be honest, I've not really had any spaces for the best part of 2 years....

It was 2 1/2 years ago!! When I first started up and had spaces galore!
Gave her some numbers and sent her on her merry way :rolleyes:

:-) :-) :-) Oh that is fantastic! Made me laugh out loud.
Glad it's not just me who gets these phone calls!

I think sometimes they don't 'get' that we work with small numbers unlike a nursery that might have more flexibility.

Daisy1956
07-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Love it. They think we sit at home just waiting for their call.

smurfette
07-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Incredible kiddleywinks ., that must be a record!!! You obviously made a very good impression!

Kiddleywinks
07-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Incredible kiddleywinks ., that must be a record!!! You obviously made a very good impression!

Think I was more 'last chance saloon' :D

smurfette
08-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Think I was more 'last chance saloon' :D

Lol!

Sigh. So now I have another problem .. Mum wants baby three days a week from June. (Part time from feb) afternoons for middle one and poss older one from sept plus poss all day for oldest in summer . Got this out of her after text to say what are you up to?!! What are you needing??! Are you moving?!! (Offer in on local house apparently.. Sure don't bother telling me anything!)

Also have had text from a mum who used me ad hoc when she was home with her little ones, has gone back to work knew I was full and put them in nursery, not happy and can I take them?!
Lovely mum fab kids would love to!

All Change in sept as several need pre school run and just not sure I can do it (would be 12pm pick up then lunch and nap before 145 school run for my own.. Mental!)
Why doesn't it rain but it pours? !

loocyloo
08-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Oh my. I do feel for you.

I'd be sitting there with my spreadsheets and working out who what where and if feasible!
Good luck!

smurfette
08-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Oh my. I do feel for you. I'd be sitting there with my spreadsheets and working out who what where and if feasible! Good luck!

That's what I am at now lol! Exact same thing every year drives me potty you just get them all settled and happy and routine and bam!

Talked it over with dh.. Think after school not feasible, balancing under threes with five year olds and my own three. I seem to lose them at play school age as I don't want to do the runs suits me better to have the smallies .. Love them at 2.5 tho!

smurfette
20-01-2015, 11:26 PM
So the plot thickens! One of my three day a week parents has just told me she wants to drop a day!

It happens to be one of the days that I have this little girl whose mum wants me to take baby brother. However she will only temporarily want the full day for two of them if at all.. More likely she will want just dribs and drabs and not to pay for a whole day, / every week. And in sept older one will move on to preschool

Meanwhile I have been in touch with a parent who has consistently asked for a space since last August (before above baby was born ) she wanted the space from dec but couldn't afford a retainer, and has been in touch several times to see if I had space. Apparently they have a minder but the minder only minds their little one and they would prefer that she was with other kids , and no one compares to me! We did really hit it off !

She would be happy to take one day a week for now and add on the other days as they become available (which they will between now and latest sept but more likely June) however if I give her the day it will be the same one above parent wants for baby and she will take hump if I don't give it to her! Don't know what to do, can't lose out on a permanent three day space for what is only Til sept if even that, ESP
For a family who are not guaranteed to stay in area (they haven't given me update on house they were bidding on yet!)

natlou82
21-01-2015, 06:29 AM
You've got to take on the more permanent contract, just makes good business sense and the other mum just needs to realise that. Good luck :-)