PDA

View Full Version : Looking after children of friends

LilMisConfused
06-01-2015, 08:04 AM
I have recently registered and was wondering:
-if I wanted to look after my friends children as a favour is it still ok to do that? (When I've not got any minded children so not working)
-does it matter if then I am not keeping to the ratios (I have an under 1, can I look after my friends under 1?)
-does it matter if I am also/will be minding them as a childminder at other times?

mama2three
06-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Whenever youre not working you can have as many children to play as you like! Ive had 35 here for a birthday party! Childminding rules don't apply and as long as youre not getting paid you can do what you like really!

Simona
06-01-2015, 09:59 AM
I have recently registered and was wondering:
-if I wanted to look after my friends children as a favour is it still ok to do that? (When I've not got any minded children so not working)
-does it matter if then I am not keeping to the ratios (I have an under 1, can I look after my friends under 1?)
-does it matter if I am also/will be minding them as a childminder at other times?

Think very carefully about childminding for your friends' children...one thing is having them for play ...another is actually being paid for it and being part of the registration/legislation/bureaucratic process and getting money for it.

Your friend would understand if you wanted to discuss this with her and think about your options.

natlou82
06-01-2015, 12:39 PM
I think whatever you do here make sure you and your friend are both clear how this will work. It sounds very grey sometimes a favour sometimes paid childcare - could get messy.

LilMisConfused
06-01-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I've thought through the childminding friends kids thing and we are going to sit down and talk about it, but quite happy with taking those risks.
My thinking with this is more - if I wasn't childminding I would be offering to look some after my friends children for one offs every now and again (as they might do for me) - legally am I still ok to be doing this as long as it's not when I am working - sounds like a yes!

natlou82
06-01-2015, 08:48 PM
If your not working there's no problem :-)