PDA

View Full Version : Monetary gift

KatieFS
03-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Happy new year to you all!!

A generous parent gave me a monetary gift as a 'bonus' for Christmas. I spoke with a friend who works at a nursery who told me they are told not to accept money as a gift from anyone and I should give it back. I understand she is told this is to stop favouritism by way of giving money for preferencal treatment for a child.

It's a bit different for us/me as I work alone and the bonus is just for me. But can see how might be judged as attempting to bribe.

But you could say that about any gift - couldn't you!?

What would you do! ?!?

Mouse
03-01-2015, 09:58 PM
How could it be judged as a bribe? What would a parent be trying to bribe you about?

Over the years I have had some very generous parents who have given me cash, vouchers or expensive presents. I wouldn't dream of saying I couldn't accept them!

I'd say your friend is a bit envious that you have received such a generous gift and she hasn't!

KatieFS
03-01-2015, 10:03 PM
Totally agree mouse! I have 'earnt' that bonus! For what it's worth and without blowing my own trumpet I feel I totally deserve it! Been a tough couple of months with said family. I think they recognise how challenging it's been, wrote me a beautiful heartfelt card, case of wine and some money. Quite blown away by how generous but hey they can afford it!

And I've spent it anyway!

blue bear
03-01-2015, 10:13 PM
It sounds like a nursery policy much like nurses can't accept personal gifts.
You enjoy your bonus, as self employed it's up to you to decide what's appropriate or not regarding payment/gifts. if I was a parent and the childminder told me they couldn't receive my gift I'd be most hurt.

Jiorjiina
04-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Don't think of it as a bribe for future favouritism, think of it as a tip for excellent previous service.

Other workers get financial bonuses after working hard, so I don't see why childminders shouldn't. Though having said that, I can also see why a nursery wouldn't allow their staff to accept it either.

Ripeberry
04-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Your nursery friend sounds jealous. You are self-employed for goodness sake, what's it got to do with her? Enjoy it! :D

Tealady
05-01-2015, 09:26 AM
I used to be a buyer, and we had to declare personal gifts, but was still allowed to accept them. This was anything from a bottle of cheap wine to things like balloon trips and Mont blanc pens (I only ever got the cheap wine LOL). We were still allowed to accept them though and if you think about it gifts like that could be seen as a bribe as it was down to us whom to award contracts to.

However we provide a service to families, and it isn't unusual to "tip" service providers. Waiting staff, the hair dresser, Christmas boxes for the postman or bin man etc. so why not your childminder?

hectors house
05-01-2015, 12:38 PM
What is the difference between you getting a money present to share with your staff (just you then) and the Nursery getting 10 boxes of biscuits and 5 tins of Roses to share with their staff!

It's a gift - a thank you for the great job you do, it's not a bribe and the parent would be insulted if you tried to return it.

Treat yourself that's what the parent intended :thumbsup:

KatieFS
05-01-2015, 01:05 PM
I like the 'tip' idea. Thanks guys. Brought myself some lovely posh hunter wellies. Not something I would have usually splashed out on but thought its money I wouldn't have had, and dreamed about a pair for ages!! Feels good treating yourself!

rickysmiths
05-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Happy new year to you all!!

A generous parent gave me a monetary gift as a 'bonus' for Christmas. I spoke with a friend who works at a nursery who told me they are told not to accept money as a gift from anyone and I should give it back. I understand she is told this is to stop favouritism by way of giving money for preferencal treatment for a child.

It's a bit different for us/me as I work alone and the bonus is just for me. But can see how might be judged as attempting to bribe.

But you could say that about any gift - couldn't you!?

What would you do! ?!?

I would prefer not to be given cash a voucher would be better. I would write to them thanking them for their present so it's receipt is acknowledged and then I would enter it in my books as the income it is and accept I will have to pay tax on it. I might then thank them very much personally and explain I would feel more comfortable with Vouchers next time.