PDA

View Full Version : Fuming!

Ripeberry
02-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Parent has just texted me (not even paid on time) to say that her two other boys have an INSET day on Monday. I sent the invoice on 23/12. Any mention of this? NO! I was going to take the little one (2yrs old) and my own daughter to the cinema. Now I have to scrap that plan and have them all for over 11 hours, just because the dad can't be bothered to take one day off. Funny how last year, every single INSET day he always had the eldest, but for some reason having two of his sons is too much.
Aargghh! :censored:

loocyloo
02-01-2015, 04:48 PM
I'd be saying that as very little ( no ) notice, I was unable to care for the older children on Monday.
they will have known on the last day of term, if not several weeks before that it was an inset day.

good luck xx

Mouse
02-01-2015, 04:59 PM
I'd just say that I was sorry, but due to short notice I wouldn't be able to have the children.

I have never changed my plans because of a parent's incompetence. If they haven't sorted out care in time I'm afraid it's not my responsibility!

Maza
02-01-2015, 06:01 PM
I would insist on being paid in advance.

AliceK
02-01-2015, 06:07 PM
I too would not agree to have these children at this short notice unless it suited me which in your case it wouldn't as you have already made plans. I need all parents dates at least a month in advance as I fill vacant spaces with adhoc children. Just say No to them.

xxx

bunyip
02-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I agree with the other members. Rather short notice to suddenly demand you change all your plans. Or do your contracts oblige you to make amends for the parent's idiocy? :huh:

Lack of planning on mum's part does not constitute a crisis on the CM's part. :thumbsup:

FloraDora
02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Agree with others about not really a lot of notice, but perhaps dad has used up holidays and they have been useless at reading school info/ organising childcare or dad was going to care for them but now work has a crisis or something and he can't now.
2 full 11 hour days is lucrative financially and gains brownie points for being such a great childminder!

blue bear
02-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Sounds to me the use of no on your part might wake them up to the fact they take you for granted.

AliceK
02-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Agree with others about not really a lot of notice, but perhaps dad has used up holidays and they have been useless at reading school info/ organising childcare or dad was going to care for them but now work has a crisis or something and he can't now.
2 full 11 hour days is lucrative financially and gains brownie points for being such a great childminder!

I have learnt that you can bend over backwards for parents and they will think you are the greatest childminder ever until the day when things don't go their way and then they throw their toys out of the pram spectacularly lol. I will always do what suits ME now.
Def wouldn't accommodate this one unless I wanted to.
xx

Ripeberry
03-01-2015, 12:38 PM
I would insist on being paid in advance.

I'm making sure of that, don't you worry :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
03-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I've said yes, mainly because she 'begged'. But it has annoyed me. I've asked her to provide a full list of INSET days so that I can at least be ready in the future. We will most likely spend the day in the woods as it's free! I was just very annoyed yesterday, had a nice 'girly' afternoon with my eldest, watching a film with some popcorn and then that text came through.
They will be paying extra though as it's £5 an hour for non-booked hours. :D

k1rstie
03-01-2015, 05:04 PM
I know it's not your job to do so, but it only takes a few minutes to check out your kids school websites for term dates, inset days, world book day events, non uniform dates etc. forearmed is to be for warned they say!!!!

KatieFS
03-01-2015, 09:59 PM
I have parent who chops and changes her plans and it's annoying! I like it when it's in my favour like picking up early whoop! But not when she wants to drop kids off 15 mins early - I love quiet mornings and miss that extra 15 mins with my lo. The money isn't worth 15mins of previous time and only agreed to help. Same parent who is regularly late paying or pays wrong amounts. Argh!!

Only do it if it suits you! X

Ripeberry
04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I know it's not your job to do so, but it only takes a few minutes to check out your kids school websites for term dates, inset days, world book day events, non uniform dates etc. forearmed is to be for warned they say!!!!
This is a small village school with a useless website.

FloraDora
04-01-2015, 02:46 PM

I have learn't now and I look in school bag, scan letters with dates and put on my calendar/ in file so I know what is going on in school via letters home just like the parents. I always ask parents if they need me on the next inset day, I know they should be organised and ahead of the game but if they aren't, I am, so we all know what is happening

bunyip
04-01-2015, 04:34 PM

Oh, how I identify with your plight. Well, for my part, I'd additionally prefix the word "school" with "useless" too. :(

I can't even rely on scavenging the children's bags either. They have a way of losing letters the instant they get them: assuming they get them at all. I often end up telling the parents about inset days, cos they never got a letter.

What makes me cross is that the school emails all such information to the local afterschool club/workhouse - but we mere CMs are not important enough to get emailed like the 'proper' childcare settings. :mad: And the head bangs on about how her excellent 'partnership working' contributed to their Outstanding grade.

As for saying "yes" or "no" to such non-contractual requests, I just think we should all feel free to make a simple mature, considered decision. It should be nothing to do with 'giving in' to parents by saying "yes" nor making some kind of point by refusing.

FloraDora
04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Good idea about schools putting childminders in the loop, perhaps we should all approach schools to arrange.

At a school I was at a childminder requested copies of all letters and was on our text messaging service too, so that she knew if clubs were cancelled, reminders for meetings that she might like to come to or snow days etc.... I approached the other childminder that I knew to ask if she wanted the same liaison and she was really grumpy with me, saying the parents would take it for granted if she was told these things that she would have the children. In my experience she always did have them but she was doing the ' principle' thing of parents being the ones to keep her in contact. The nursery staff approached both and got two different behaviours too.

We sort of need a local communication launch so expectations both ways are discussed including childminders, nurseries and schools and health visitors too - joined up thinking!