PDA

View Full Version : winter story book?

loocyloo
02-01-2015, 08:04 AM
hello!

I'm sure its been asked before, but I can't find an answer, but I'm looking for a picture story book based in winter? I know there is the Percy the Park keeper one, but I was wanting to possibly not base it on snow if I can, as last year we didn't get any! I've got lots of books based on snow, but am looking for a winter story book!

any ideas???

I usually do a book a month, and was/am going to do 'jump into January' which is about months of the year, and will be great for my older ones, but I will have 5 under 2 yrs and thought something a bit simpler would be good too!

( unless anyone knows of a 'basic' months book too? )

THANK YOU!

not leaving my planning till the last month at all !!!! :D

blue bear
02-01-2015, 09:50 PM
5 Winter themed books for Toddlers to enjoy (http://rainydaymum.co.uk/winter-books)

Good ideas on here

loocyloo
03-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Lovely. Thank you x

Maza
03-01-2015, 09:55 AM
5 Winter themed books for Toddlers to enjoy (http://rainydaymum.co.uk/winter-books)

Good ideas on here

I keep the bookshelf full of Christmas books until the end of the holidays (still have a handful left to read) and then I swap them for my 'Winter' books. I have just been through them all and every single one is about snow! Hadn't really thought about it before.

We have the Jack Frost one and my daughter loves it and always asks for it on a frosty morning. There is snow in some of the pictures but it focuses on Frost. This is as closes an alternative as I can find.

We also have 'Winter' by Gerda Muller (we have each season, I love them) and there is snow on each page.

We have 'One Winter's Day' and it is full of snow.

Maybe there are some nice poems out there or non-fiction books which don't focus on snow. You could also print off some Winter/snowless pictures and make your own non-fiction books. Are there any nice books on hibernation which don't focus on snow? There are some sweet stories out there about rainy days and windy days.

If you do find any, let me know!

loocyloo
03-01-2015, 11:08 AM
:-) Thank you.

I've ordered the winter book ( and the rest of the seasons as been meaning to buy them for years! )

I've got non fiction books about winter but even they focus heavily on snow!

Kirstylob
04-01-2015, 05:17 PM
I bought a series of 4 seasonal books from The Works. Someone on here posted about them months ago.
They are about a group of animal friends who help each other out during the different seasons. I think they were 4 for £5.

FloraDora
04-01-2015, 05:35 PM
I have these too, but snow is in the winter one.

All the books I have seen with stories about winter are either snow related or American, with animals and language not brilliant for little ones.

Interesting thread.

loocyloo
05-01-2015, 04:18 PM
I just found a book called 'William's winter wish' in one of the cheap book shops in town.

a little mouse visits grandpa and talks about what it was like to have snowy winters ... he wishes for snow ... but sledges down the stairs, skates on the kitchen floor, makes a snowman out of old boxes ( as autumn leaves swirl around ) etc etc and at the end of the book it does snow! BUT ... mainly, its about wishing it would snow! so rather apt for my LOs.

( and ooops ... another bit of my 'no resource spending' resolution gone! )

sarah707
05-01-2015, 07:28 PM
say hello to the snowy animals by ian Whybrow is lovely we read it most winters :D

FloraDora
05-01-2015, 08:16 PM
say hello to the snowy animals by ian Whybrow is lovely we read it most winters :D

I love this book, very tactile, great for rhyming and making early sounds too ...but still all snowy.

Maza
05-01-2015, 10:32 PM
I'm determined to find one!!! I know that there are story books out there set in Winter (can't think of any off the top of my head though) but are not necessarily about Winter iyswim. I'm thinking 'Shirley Hughes through the seasons' type of thing for some reason. When I take my tree down tomorrow I'll look in my cupboard behind it where I keep most of my Shirley Hughes books.

Maybe by next year we'll have one!

loocyloo
29-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Lol ...

We've been reading Williams winter wish a couple of times a week. I picked up a snow globe in the charity shop yesterday. We read the book earlier and a LO held and shook globe very hard saying ' i wish it would snow '

It's now snowing... LO has woken up from sleep and said "loocyloo. My wish worked. The snow globe must be magic"