PDA

View Full Version : Childrens 'starting points'

mumofone
30-12-2014, 11:13 PM
What kind of thing do OFSTED want you know about a child when they talk about "childrens starting points" when they start in your care?

moggy
31-12-2014, 08:35 AM
What kind of thing do OFSTED want you know about a child when they talk about "childrens starting points" when they start in your care?

Sarah's got it all covered here, see Free Resources above, Free Downloads:

Starting Points (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/startingpoints.html)

I use an All About Me document completed by parents, any previous setting's LJ, observations I make in first few days/weeks.
Then I use all that to do the first of my termly reviews- get input from parents on how child is settling and any new obs or wow moments at home, looking at EYO and DM, checking where child is in each Area, marking on a tracker and I write a couple of paragraphs per Prime Area (for under 3s) which talks about 'what I can do' and some next steps- sit with parents to look through together, include their comments, both sign and goes in LJ. (I find this is a good point to talk about general 'settling-in' too and usually coincides with end of settling-in period of contract, so a useful time to sit together with parents for a chat.)
This Starting Points process would flag up any areas of concern. It is the same process I use for each progress review, same as the 2-yr check too, I just call it 'starting points'.

Simona
31-12-2014, 09:46 AM

You can also find guidance in these particular Ofsted's publications which should be the ones at hand during inspection
'Conducting EY inspections' (120087) ...page 10
'Evaluation schedule ...' (120086) page 7...both this documents will tell you what an inspector is looking for and how they judge for the grading

Sorry I have not put the link as OFSTED are migrating to a new website but they can easily be found :thumbsup: