PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Attachment disorder -

tori4
30-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Hi I have been asked by LA to provide care for 6yr old boy with behavioural needs and attachment disorder - at the mo that's all the info I have - oh as well as he has been expelled from x2 Sch and never been in Sch full time reading and writing for that reason r below expected.

I have a brief understanding of AD - but looking for any tips, info, advice or blogs so I can research in more depth.

The child will be attending Sch for Short periods in the new year so I do not believe I will have to consider NC - it will be more of learning those 1st. skills and COEL to enable the next stage.

TIA xT

Simona
31-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi I have been asked by LA to provide care for 6yr old boy with behavioural needs and attachment disorder - at the mo that's all the info I have - oh as well as he has been expelled from x2 Sch and never been in Sch full time reading and writing for that reason r below expected.

I have a brief understanding of AD - but looking for any tips, info, advice or blogs so I can research in more depth.

The child will be attending Sch for Short periods in the new year so I do not believe I will have to consider NC - it will be more of learning those 1st. skills and COEL to enable the next stage.

TIA xT

If you google Attachment Disorder you will find many articles that will be of help to you
Attachment disorder can be linked to children's mental health as well
These are a few...hope it helps

Attachment Issues and Reactive Attachment Disorder: Symptoms, Treatment, and Hope for Children with Insecure Attachment (http://www.helpguide.org/articles/secure-attachment/attachment-issues-and-reactive-attachment-disorders.htm)

http://socialwork.msu.edu/koehler/docs/Symptom%20Checklist%20for%20Child%20Attachment%20D isorder.pdf

Reactive attachment disorder of infancy or early childhood: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001547.htm)

FloraDora
31-12-2014, 06:19 PM
http://www.hollyhouse.derbyshire.sch.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/8-page-overview-of-PPS-to-go-with-video-or-to-send-as-info…1.pdf

I have a lot of experience with children with attachment disorder.

We followed the principles of a positive play - a programme produced by Deryshire CC - lots of good write ups, not specifically aimed at children with attachment but works!
I am surprised that he has a diagnosis, the health professionals are reluctant locally to give a diagnosis at a young age - largely I think because a diagnosis will mean an explanation and the explanation for attachment difficulties is that their front part of brain didn't develop in their first couple of years of life, usually through lack of affection/ response to a child - quite predominant in fostered/ adopted children where you can talk openly but more difficult to talk about with a birth parent.

The school sounds like it is in the process of dealing with it if they have put him on part time timetable, so they should be involving an educational psycholigist to support parents and school in setting up a behaviour management type plan so that everyone deals with behaviours the same - you need to be involved in these, if parents are happy to or at least have a copy of plan.
These children in my experience, can be caring and loving but have a fight or flight way of dealing with life - runaway / clam up or just get it out there how they feel. When working with a child who is cross/ angry I usually ask myself - what is he/she really trying to say? Not just the incident but triggers or lead ups or experiences. As an example a top end example with a little boy was that a dinner lady aproached him because his shoe laces were undone ....to help...he pushed her over quite violently - it seems that , he didn't knowingly have these thoughts but therapy helped get to the bottom of this type of behaviour- some new perfume the DL was wearing triggered an emotion linked with early abuse ( he was adopted) and he 'fought' in an automatic trigger way in defence.
Their thoughts, feelings and emotions can be very intense and mixed up - it is so sad - caused by lack of love intentional or not, not by hormones or hereditary.
Talk to the school - they will have expert advice on tap.

k1rstie
01-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Floradora, your reply is really interesting and thought provoking.
I agree it must be easier to discuss with an adopted child or one who is in care rather than biological parents. This is also true with foetal alcohol syndrome.