PDA

View Full Version : "Free flow" to outside space

mumofone
27-12-2014, 09:29 PM
I have patio doors that open out onto a patio area in my house which would be perfect for children to have "free flow" to outside play areas but unfortunately I don't want to use this area but instead would like to use another area of grass garden but access to this is only out the front door meaning I would have to take children out myself and thus I don't think ofsted would consider this "free flow" to outside space. Would this be frowned upon by ofsted dyou think?

clareelizabeth1
27-12-2014, 09:35 PM
You don't need free flow you just have to allow them to have access each day to an outside space. So those in flats would go on walks to the park and such. What you plan sounds fine.

blue bear
27-12-2014, 09:44 PM
My understanding is that you must give them daily access to outside. So if a child asks to go out and you get everyone ready and you go out to play you are meeting the children's needs and given free access to outside in the way you can.
A friend got pulled up on an inspection when a child asked to play outside and was told not just yet as I'm talking to the ofsted inspector, we will go out after lunch. she was told she should respond to the child's request to go outside and not hinder his access to outside play (or something like that) no mention of having easy access for the child to let themselves out to play whenever the fancy took them (which is what sounds like your idea of free flow)

Maza
28-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Don't worry about it at all. It's what you do with the space that matters, not where it is. I live in a first floor flat and so we definitely have to all go out together - through the communal landing, down the stairs, through the communal hallway and then through the front communal gardens until we get to our private garden at the back of the building. Not all schools and nurseries have direct access to an outdoor area. x