PDA

View Full Version : Two under one?

rachelmarno
31-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi there,

My name is Rachel and Im new to this site! Im mummy to Jacob (4 1/2 months) and partner to Oli! Im hoping to register as a childminder in the near future, and was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me?

As Ive already said, i have a 4 1/2 month old baby! But by the time i start minding he will be around 8 months. A close friend of mine also has a 4 month old and she will be returning to work! She really wants me to look after her little one as she wants someone she knows and trusts, however when she goes back to work in december our two children will both be under 1.

I know that you are only allowed to look after one infant under one (including your own children) but I was wondering if anyone knew whether ofstead made exceptions and whether this would be a reasonable request?

I wouldnt have any other children in my care during this time or in the forseeable future and it would only be for 3 months until my little one turns one!

Thankyou in advance

Rachel :)

wendywu
31-07-2008, 05:19 PM
You can only ask. You may be lucky as you have no other mindees and it is only for 3 months. Good luck:)

breezy
31-07-2008, 05:27 PM
All you can do is ask Ofsted for a temporary variation as the child will already know you so it will be continuity of care of a sort, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Just realised if you havent started the registration process you'd need to do it soon to be minding in Dec, took me 4 months or more!

sarah707
31-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Tbh, while it's always worth asking, Ofsted only usually grant something like this for either very experienced minders to take on twins or in cases where it is short term for continuity of care or when there are 2 minders working together, sometimes they will be given variations...

Oh gosh, sorry, harbinger of doom tonight but... can I advise you to consider very carefully before you childmind a friend's child ... It does sometimes work, but many friendships have been damaged by money, child behaviour and other arguments which can happen over time.

Good luck with your registration! :D

son77
31-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh gosh, sorry, harbinger of doom tonight but... can I advise you to consider very carefully before you childmind a friend's child ... It does sometimes work, but many friendships have been damaged by money, child behaviour and other arguments which can happen over time.

This is what I was going to say Sarah!

You could comment that you have known this little one from birth & she is a very clingy child & therefore you are more suitable than a stranger.

Good luck with your registration. xx

rachelmarno
31-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you so much for your replies! And you have brought up some valuable comments, some that I hadnt even thought of!!

I do need to get a move on with registration, am hoping to be registered by january! Hope this is a reachable goal! :blush:

I agree also with what people are saying about mixing business with friendship! It was something I had to think long and hard about! However, in the end we decided the pros far outweighed the cons! We will be handling the situation properly with written agreements, and my friend will be treated the same way as any future parents I will be working with!
I think our main thing is that we have very similar parenting techniques, and she wants to be comforted in the knowledge that her child will be looked after the way she would want him to be! And also to know that he will be comfortable with someone he has always known rather than suddenly being left with someone he hasnt had time to be comfortable with. The final thing is that she has quite a demanding job that would require her to return a large amount of money were she not to return to work, and because of this she will be working long hours and needs to know that she can leave her little one with me and not have to worry if she gets kept behind for an hour etc!

I think i will have to cross my fingers that an exception will be made and I will be allowed to care for my friends child and mine at the same time! Maybe if I can display to them how I have cared for them both if I have just been babysitting him.

In all honesty I would be quite happy to look after him for free, I just dont think my bank manager (or my partner for that matter :) ) would be too happy! But I suppose if worse come to the worst I could always do that for the couple of months before my sons 1st birthday!?!?

Thanks again for your advice

Rachel x

wendywu
31-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes if you trust her do the first 3 months for free. The get three months money for the first month.:thumbsup:

devoncm
01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I think if you care for the child in there home not yours this would be considered babysitting and not childminding and therefore not illegal, maybe if you cant get a variation you could do this until your child is one?

Mrs.L.C
01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
I asked Ofsetd if I could change my registration to 2 under 1s after only just starting minding almost 5 years ago. I had currently taken on a baby (8months if I rem right) and had enquiries for another baby and was struggling to get work so I thought id give it a shot after hearing you can have your registration changed in certain circumstances such as twins.

I had to write them a letter asking for this and stating why I would not have a problem with it. I had 1 1/2 years experience in a nursery with higher ratios eg 1 adult:3 babies, I had a double pushchair and 2 travel cots and plenty of baby toys and would be willing to buy or hire anything else I may need. Ofsted registered me with no problems to have 2 under 1s and have never queried it since

So worth a shot asking and just mention the situation but you ahve to be sure you would be able to manage with 2 under 1's

rachelmarno
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Thank you so much Laura!

Its great to hear from someone who has had a similar experience! I think I will defeniately ask as all they can do is say no! And if that is the case then there are ways round it (like going to their house for a few months!)

Thanks for all your replys!

Rachel x

emma04
12-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi

I was a brand new childminder when i asked ofsted if i could mind 2 children under 1 year for a 4 month period (after this time the boy turned 1) and it was accepted within 3 weeks, so very fast, but they are quite quick here, i have heard it taking months for them to get back to you, so apply as early as possible!

I can send you the copy of the letter if you want?:)

kellsni
25-08-2008, 08:58 AM
I would start very soon as I did Ofsted came out to do my registration in April and I have just sent away for my insurance last week and this can take up to 21 days:( good luck hun:)

Chatterbox Childcare
25-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi Rachel and welcome

I have 2 under 1's permanently on my certificate and Ofsted give these on application.

It doesn't hurt to ask and they seem to be very accomodating at present.

Good luck.
Debbie