PDA

View Full Version : I've just been accepted on a childminding course!

Rarara
21-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Very excited at the prospect of being self employed doing something I really enjoy! Hope to get to know you all better x

natlou82
21-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Hi :-D good luck moving forward on your journey. This time last year I was just about to apply to ofsted. It's been a whirlwind of a year, I was lucky to find myself busy really quickly, I'm full now! I've learnt so much in such a small time (things that may not have crossed your mind yet). This forum is a wonderful source of advice and support, and it's good to know your not alone with issues you may come across. I look forward to your posts :-)

Rarara
21-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi :-D good luck moving forward on your journey. This time last year I was just about to apply to ofsted. It's been a whirlwind of a year, I was lucky to find myself busy really quickly, I'm full now! I've learnt so much in such a small time (things that may not have crossed your mind yet). This forum is a wonderful source of advice and support, and it's good to know your not alone with issues you may come across. I look forward to your posts :-)

Thank you x it does feel like a great place here, I've been lurking whilst I found out if I'd got a place. It's great to hear that people are 'successful' childminders iykwim?

CSR2014
21-12-2014, 08:21 PM
Hello & welcome!

Kiddleywinks
22-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum :waving:

DON'T DO IT! RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY :laughing::laughing:

Only joking, honest lol

The forum is a mine of information to help prepare yourself and support you once you register.
No question is too silly or daft if you don't have an answer, so ask away, the search facility is also a fab way of finding others who have asked a similar question and the (various) replies make interesting reading.
Before I started my course I used the forum lots to clarify things in my head, especially over what to include in my policies (my bible on how I run my business)

One thing I would say, particularly as everyone has a different viewpoint/way of doing things:
There is no right or wrong way - take on board the things you think will work for you, but don't try to take on everything - you'll wrap yourself up in knots if you do :laughing:

It is a long process, and sometimes a painful one, and once registered, it can take a while to get started (I waited almost 8 months for my first mindee :panic:), so try not to feel despondent if things aren't happening as quick as you'd like - good things come to those who wait ;)

On the plus side, having waited 8 months for 1, the rest followed quickly, and I too am full (well, as full as I want to be with 9 on my books) and have been for 2 years.
Had a few 'gulp' moments along the way that thankfully were quickly resolved, and it's a massive learning curve, but it is also an enjoyable and very rewarding one.

Good luck :thumbsup:

bunyip
22-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Hi Rarara :waving:

(You're not related to that CBeebies lion, are you....? :rolleyes:) Welcome anyway and pleased to hear you got a place on the course. :clapping:

Embrace the paradoxes of the Childcare Universe (it operates in an entirely different dimension, did you know?)

Examples:-

Once you've got the course out of the way, you'll be able to learn so much. :rolleyes:
Parents want someone sane to look after their children, but you'd have to be nuts to want to do it.
Ofsted don't pay us a penny, but they seem to want to tell us what to do. :(
All the mums will sit in the beauty parlour, paying £70 for an hour's pampering whilst bemoaning amongst themselves "the high cost of childcare."
The politician on Breakfast TV discussing the high cost of childcare will, at that moment, be paying £10ph for their domestic cleaner to tidy up their mansion.
.... and the TV presenter interviewing them will be paying £10.50ph to have his/her dog walked. :p
Your phone will only ever (and always) ring when you're up to your elbows in baby poo.
You'll find yourself asking vacuum cleaner salesmen if their product gets glitter out of soft furnishings. :D

... and so on. ;)

KateA
22-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Good luck hope you have fun in career x

Rarara
22-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Thank you all x sounds like I'm in for treat!