PDA

View Full Version : Older children

clarep
19-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but have been childminding for the last 8 years. In the past I've put on activities for all my mindees and normally everyone has joined in, however I'm finding the older children are becoming more reluctant to join in (10 and 11 years). I always ask at the beginning of each term what activities they would like to do, so it's not always my choices but even then, the TV/electronic gaming are the most popular choices!! I like to offer a home from home experience and often think about what my kids would do and that is loll around on the sofa, watch tv and unwind after school (not every day but more often than not towards the end of term).

I live in North East Scotland, where it's dark by 4 so playing outside isn't an option currently; during the summer we're out at the park lots and all the kids have an excellent run around and play. I have Lego, Knex, games, craft activities etc.

Has anyone encountered this before and what ideas/solutions have you come up with?

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to any suggestions,

Clare

sarah707
19-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I am lucky that I have a separate room - I often put lots of craft on the table and let them loose - they are busy until tea time.

Yes they do like to sit and chill and we provide a laptop and tablet as well :D

Kirstylob
21-12-2014, 05:40 PM
I don't have many older children, oldest mindee is 8 and he's only here for about 1/2 hour after school so not much time to do anything.
Sorry not very helpful but will be watching to see what others ideas are.

natlou82
21-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Personally I would be providing a quiet space where they can do homework whilst I do activities with the younger ones and once finished they could have free time which could be TV / video games.

blue bear
21-12-2014, 07:52 PM
My ten and eleven year olds like to 'help' run the activities, lots of craft but not structured just what they like. Cooking, colouring, TV, iPods, digging in mud in the dark with torches is a favourite.

clarep
27-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Personally I would be providing a quiet space where they can do homework whilst I do activities with the younger ones and once finished they could have free time which could be TV / video games.

Thanks for your replies...

I would prefer they do homework BUT I can't force them to do it, if they want to then there is space for homework to be completed. I've never had this age of minded children before, apart from my own. My daughter (10) loves art/craft stuff so that's an easy activity to cater for whereas the 11 year olds (boys) are somewhat more trickier!!

Will reissue another questionnaire and ask what parents think...