PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your Funding rules please

Kiddleywinks
16-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Well, after a long battle, the DofE stepped in with my LA and I've been informed by the DofE that the LA will no longer be insisting on other criteria before good/outstanding CM's can offer funding

Great news, as this has been a battle I've fought on my own, or at least, I've not been aware of any other local CM's tackling the LA.
However, I'm sure this will have gone down like a lead balloon with the LA, as they have actively stonewalled me every step of the way, so I need to know what the 'correct' procedure is for getting the funding, in case they continue to make it 'difficult' discreetly.

What happens in your area when you approach the LA to offer funding?
How many forms need to be completed? What are they for?
Is there any 'monitoring' that needs to be done? Audits etc?
Any other advice or guidance of what to expect is gratefully received lol

hectors house
16-12-2014, 09:18 AM
I challenged my LA when I completed my funding forms as they were still asking for a level 3 certificate, I told them that in "more affordable childcare" the need for level 3 qualification was dropped, they have since amended their forms but still ask for a level 3 certificate (if you have one) as this means you get an extra 72p an hour. This is how they have adapted it but are still calling the shots. I do have a level 3 but just wanted to inform them that they couldn't insist on it.

I have only been doing funding since May - in that time no-one has contacted me, inspected me (other than Ofsted last month), I am keeping very accurate records of attendance so that no-one can challenge me on the amount of funding I am claiming and I have a spreadsheet that shows the amount of funding taken each month and the amount still left to be used.

I know my local authority weren't very helpful in advising me how to complete the initial forms, I got more help from fellow childminders on "who was my SENCO" (turned out that was me!) and how to work out the "stretched" funding offer, again person on phone didn't have a clue.

Well done on tackling your LA, hopefully other childminders will now start offering funding now that you have paved the way for them. :thumbsup:

Simona
16-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Well, after a long battle, the DofE stepped in with my LA and I've been informed by the DofE that the LA will no longer be insisting on other criteria before good/outstanding CM's can offer funding

Great news, as this has been a battle I've fought on my own, or at least, I've not been aware of any other local CM's tackling the LA.
However, I'm sure this will have gone down like a lead balloon with the LA, as they have actively stonewalled me every step of the way, so I need to know what the 'correct' procedure is for getting the funding, in case they continue to make it 'difficult' discreetly.

What happens in your area when you approach the LA to offer funding?
How many forms need to be completed? What are they for?
Is there any 'monitoring' that needs to be done? Audits etc?
Any other advice or guidance of what to expect is gratefully received lol

Sad to hear you seem to be having the same problems...I can empathise with that having thought a long battle with my LA and approached every organisation I could think of.
It would be good to know what the DfE will do about it as they are aware that many LAs are still putting barriers up ...the main issue is what is in the Contract ...or Conditions of Funding...that Cms have to sign in order to be 'granted' access to funding....and I say 'granted' because that is what it feels like.
This issue too is one our representing associations should fight on our behalf...they too are aware of the barriers.

Good luck.

Kiddleywinks
16-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Simona, is there an official document with regards to the 'Conditions of Funding', or is it down to each LA?

HH Thanks for your reply, I too already have a level 3 - although I doubt that'll be recognized financially
I hope my local CM's do take advantage of this turnaround, at least it will show the LA that they were wrong to put additional criteria in the way for the sake of justifying their own position! They sure as heck weren't doing it for the children (IMO)!

Simona
16-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Simona, is there an official document with regards to the 'Conditions of Funding', or is it down to each LA?

HH Thanks for your reply, I too already have a level 3 - although I doubt that'll be recognized financially
I hope my local CM's do take advantage of this turnaround, at least it will show the LA that they were wrong to put additional criteria in the way for the sake of justifying their own position! They sure as heck weren't doing it for the children (IMO)!

This is the DfE Early Education and Childcare which LAs must follow and which I have quoted to my LA...they can then have their own conditions of Funding reflecting this
It became effective 8 September 2014

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/351592/early_education_and_childcare_statutory_guidance_2 014.pdf

p5 may be useful to you when you ask about audit and running our business
Also look at p10 sections A3.2 3.3 and 3.4

Kiddleywinks
16-12-2014, 12:10 PM
This is the DfE Early Education and Childcare which LAs must follow and which I have quoted to my LA...they can then have their own conditions of Funding reflecting this
It became effective 8 September 2014

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/351592/early_education_and_childcare_statutory_guidance_2 014.pdf

p5 may be useful to you when you ask about audit and running our business
Also look at p10 sections A3.2 3.3 and 3.4

Many Thanks Simona, ironically, this is the document I've been arguing the toss over with the LA :laughing:

Up until this week, my understanding was that the LA could also impose an ITERS audit - (Infant and Toddlers Environment Rating Scale) - am I right to assume that this is not the case?

It will be interesting to hear what our LA are going to say when they respond to my enquiry about taking up the funding offer ;)

Simona
16-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Many Thanks Simona, ironically, this is the document I've been arguing the toss over with the LA :laughing:

Up until this week, my understanding was that the LA could also impose an ITERS audit - (Infant and Toddlers Environment Rating Scale) - am I right to assume that this is not the case?

It will be interesting to hear what our LA are going to say when they respond to my enquiry about taking up the funding offer ;)

You are correct in saying LAs must not use any quality or other audit to allow access to funding...this is covered in the document in A3.4 p10 ... LAs must rely 'solely' on the Ofsted or agency grading
This is my understanding unless there has been a recent change I missed while we blinked ?:panic:

Wish you all the best and keep us updated

AgentTink
16-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Hi Kiddywinks, so happy to hear that the DoE supported you in the end with the issues with your LA.

As you know i had the same battle with my LA but touchwood since they agreed to offer the funding they have been really easy to deal with.

I had one form initially to sign with terms and conditions, there was nothing on there that i couldnt do, so i happily signed it.

Since then all i have to do is get my parents to complete an application form if they want the 2 year old funding, and if they want 3/4 year old funding i ring the funding team to advise them of childs details. At the end of each term i need to send back an attendance tracker which has to simply show how many hours each child did with each week.

hectors house
16-12-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi Kiddywinks, so happy to hear that the DoE supported you in the end with the issues with your LA.

As you know i had the same battle with my LA but touchwood since they agreed to offer the funding they have been really easy to deal with.

I had one form initially to sign with terms and conditions, there was nothing on there that i couldnt do, so i happily signed it.

Since then all i have to do is get my parents to complete an application form if they want the 2 year old funding, and if they want 3/4 year old funding i ring the funding team to advise them of childs details. At the end of each term i need to send back an attendance tracker which has to simply show how many hours each child did with each week.

Wish ours was that simple, we have to send in an "Estimate" form which they use to pay us 90% of funding on, then we have to fill in an "Actual" form, nearly at end of that term, then an "Adjustment" form where we have to show any plus or minus funded hours, then we get the remaining 10%. Parents have to fill in a form which I send back to go with the Actual form. I regularly have to ask fellow childminders for help with the forms!

FussyElmo
16-12-2014, 05:17 PM
All of ours is done online now.

So we fill out the application to funding for 2/3/4 and then we get paid 70% in advance and then the remainder later in the term.

We also have to sign a provider agreement and every year fill out a census :thumbsup:

Lal
16-12-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm still trying to get my head round ours- there are different amounts depending on flexibility, start times, end times, staff qualifications, grading, deprevation....... :confused:
I think if you sign up you are stuck with the amount for the year so if you add more sessions, gain a higher qualification or get a better ofsted grading you can not get a higher rate till the next year starts. I think for be because I only want to work 3 days a week it isn't worth it because I wouldn't be deemed as flexible enough.

blue bear
16-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Here you contact la and attend two briefing sessions about how funding works, how to claim your money etc.
You then register online to accept funding, give your bank details.
Once you have a child lined up you contact the funding team the term before they are due to start advise them of hours.
You get parent to complete a form stating hours, if they claim elsewhere, asks for birth certificate to be seen by childminder, this form is kept by childminder and completed each term by parent (3 times a year)
Childminder completes a head count form three times a year which generates your money.
You get paid monthly.
Once a year the parent form is photo copied and sent to funding team.
Once a year the development worker visits childminder for audit, checks what has been paid equals what parent has claimed. That you saw birth certificate etc.

It's really straight forward now adays compared to how it was