PDA

View Full Version : Potty training while chldminding

alex__17
13-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Any tips?!

My son is 2.5 years and doesn't have accidents if nappy free at home asks to use toilet/potty, and tells me when going in his nappy so thought since I have 2 weeks off over Xmas we will give potty training a try.

If he's not ready fine, but if he is I'm expecting he won't be able to give me loads of notice of needing to go and I like to get out and about with childminding kids each day, are there any decent (small!) portable potties? Saw a huge thing in mothercare, couldn't lug it around, and a smaller one but it needed bags which were really expensive...

Anyone found one that is good? We go to parks/national trust garden type places not always a toddler group where I can run to a loo at a moments notice, first child so all new to me and complicated with having other kiddies to look after too

clareelizabeth1
14-12-2014, 12:33 AM
With my son I just pop one of his old advent weaning pots in my bag and he stands and does a wee in that it's leak proof. I risk it with poos as he can hold them longer and just have a change of clothes but he tends to only poo at home which makes it easier. He also won't wee if I pick him up so when he says I need a wee i scoop him up if we are 5 mins from a toilet I know we will make it. Although often we still use a pot as being a boy it's just easier for him to pee in a pot than the toilet.

Jiorjiina
14-12-2014, 02:16 AM
I use a potette plus (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Potette-Plus-Travel-Potty-White/dp/B001RH2RW4/ref=pd_cp_by_1) when we're out and about. It's great because you can either use it like a potty if you're nowhere near a loo, or a trainer seat on a normal loo seat. Plus it fits into a changing bag, and because the liner bags fold over the seat you can use it for multiple children easily.

Cannot recommend highly enough!

By the way, if it was this one that you though the liner bags were too expensive (believe me, I understand!), I have often used it with just a small bin liner and a nappy inside. As long as there's something absorbent to catch whatever it is and a bag to bag it up in afterwards, then you're good.

alex__17
14-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Brilliant thanks yes it was potette plus I thought liners were a lot, especially as I have 4 2 year olds (not all at once!) I mind who will be potty training over the next few months, I felt I could be getting through lots of bags!
Think I'll see how we go over Xmas then invest if he seems to get the hang of it

moggy
14-12-2014, 10:02 AM
And if you are using the Potette on grass for a wee then you don't need a liner at all! (well, maybe not on some one's lawn but out at park/woods etc!)

You can use any old plastic bag as a liner and either a nappy or a cheap sanitary towel inside if you want to have something absorbent.

Daisy1956
15-12-2014, 10:55 AM
I love the potette and get the liners on amazon when on offers.

RachaelStevens
16-12-2014, 04:34 PM
When potty training my own two children I stayed home for a week and half and after that carried a normal potty and nappy bags and toilet roll around for a few months and maybe if out for whole day. They each got use to going before we left the house and then I would make sure they went at lunch time and snack etc. They soon catched on. One boy one girl each march born and each started at 25 months old.

hectors house
17-12-2014, 11:45 AM
I just take a normal potty in a bag but one of the parents has a good fold up potty, she just uses a normal carrier bag inside it and puts kitchen roll in the bottom and disposes of the contents when she passes a bin.