PDA

View Full Version : help - decorators

pinklady756
12-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Have decorators doing my hall landing and stairs, kids and sticky fingers!! Trouble is they're running behind and need to come when I'll be working. Do you think this is ok? obviously the children would be supervised at all time low and I'd ensure it's ventilated well. Do I need to get permission from parents?

AliceK
12-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Mine needs doing badly too but it's my idea of a nightmare to have workmen in that area whilst I'm working so either mine won't get done or OH will have to do it lol.
It really depends on the layout of your house and how much you need to use those areas whilst working. Do the children play in the hallway, do they need to use the hallway to go from one room to another, what about the toilet facilities, do you need to have LO's sleeping upstairs. The front door will be open a lot (in my experience workmen just love to come in and out the front door constantly :angry:).
It def wouldn't work in my house with my layout and the dogs would be seriously cross with it. Only you can determine whether or not you can work around the inconvenience. If you decide you can then I would write up a RA and let parents know but not ask for their permission .

xxx

pinklady756
12-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks, my first post isn't quite right. They'll be here for 3/4 days (2 of which I'm working) they'll start upstairs and only do downstairs hall when there's no kids. So I won't have issues of access to other rooms like toilet, kitchen etc and no little ones who sleep on those days. So I'm sure I can make it all work and can do the RA. Have a large downstairs area and separate playroom, with conservatory/dining room attached with access to garden plus I work with an assistant so an extra pair of hands. Just wanted to see what others thought...

I can also plan outings to local soft play etc and be out a fair bit of the time.

AliceK
12-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks, my first post isn't quite right. They'll be here for 3/4 days (2 of which I'm working) they'll start upstairs and only do downstairs hall when there's no kids. So I won't have issues of access to other rooms like toilet, kitchen etc and no little ones who sleep on those days. So I'm sure I can make it all work and can do the RA. Have a large downstairs area and separate playroom, with conservatory/dining room attached with access to garden plus I work with an assistant so an extra pair of hands. Just wanted to see what others thought...

I can also plan outings to local soft play etc and be out a fair bit of the time.

Sounds like you've got it all covered then :thumbsup:. It sounds do-able.

xxx

CSR2014
12-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Hi,
It sounds like you could make this work. I would ensure you keep parents informed and safeguard at all times for your own peace of mind!! Good luck!!

bunyip
13-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Sounds do-able.

I'd say the key things are:

do a temporary risk assessment for the duration
ensure clear separation between your working area and the decorated
be clear about safeguarding
don't let the decorators distract you (eg. you may be in the house, but they mustn't keep coming down to ask questions about this, that or the other aspect of the work.)
make sure the parents are on board

Personally, I'd want to get parental consent. This does raise the problem of what to do if they refuse, but it could be worse if a parent took exception to it and you'd not asked.

hectors house
13-12-2014, 10:16 AM
I once had a carpenter and his son laying new oak flooring in my hall, obviously I supervised the children going along hall to the toilet and even though I had known the carpenter for years I was still worried about the children being upstairs to sleep so when all of them went to bed (those were the days when 3 children slept at same time), I went up stairs too and spent an hour dusting my bedroom, cleaning the bathroom and tidying the airing cupboard just so that I could hand on heart say that no one had been able to go upstairs and be with children unsupervised.

Sounds like you have everything covered and wish I could get decorators in to do mine as it's a nightmare when my husband tries to do it in the evenings as you have to pack everything away again for the next day's work. We did last time have a painter in to do all the gloss on doors and door frames as there are 10 doors (some glass panel ones) off our hall, landing & stairs and my husband HATES doing gloss.