PDA

View Full Version : Going back to paper observations

gremlin
11-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi

Just after some advise please.

I currently use a computerised system for all my mindees observations, next steps etc and accounts.

I find sometimes that parents can't be bothered with the system and make excuses about logging in etc and think paper would be easier.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you go about transferring all the info from the system to paper?

Thanks in advance.

Sarah

hectors house
11-12-2014, 12:53 PM
I try reverse psychology with my parents regarding how often they have logged onto view Tapestry journal or whether anyone has left any observations or comments, I email them all saying things like "thank you all so much for adding such lovely photos and comments and it's amazing how quickly some of you log in and reply after getting a notification email - the current record is 7 minutes" - the parents who haven't logged on for a while feel very inferior and generally log on pretty quickly.

I wouldn't go back to paper, the photos I can share are much better quality and bigger than I could afford to print in their journals and I can add videos now too. I think my on-line journals contributed towards my Outstanding grade last month as I can really show that I am working well with parents and other settings children attend.

bunyip
11-12-2014, 05:45 PM
I don't know any of the computerised systems in any depth, so forgive me if I'm being a bit dumb, but can't you just print off from the computerised version and hand the hard-copy version to the parents?

mama2three
11-12-2014, 06:53 PM
I print off and keep a paper journal - parents like to take it home occasionally to share with grandparents etc as well.

blue bear
11-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Can you down load as a PDF and e mail to parents, keeping the PDF on your lap top. Then start fresh on paper version. So for ofsted visit you can bring up PDF on laptop to show the older stuff.

hectors house
12-12-2014, 08:30 AM
I print off and keep a paper journal - parents like to take it home occasionally to share with grandparents etc as well.

Lots of my mindees grandparents have got a log in to access the on line journals for themselves and I find the on-line journals a great way of including dad's who don't live with their children.

I think staying on-line but printing a version too is a good idea - it's so easy to do Summative Assessments, 2 year development checks and print planning sheets on my on-line system (Tapestry), it saves me loads of time and Mrs O loved how easy it was to use when I showed her last month.