PDA

View Full Version : Exceptions again (sorry!)

cockatoos
11-12-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm looking for a bit of advice re exceptions. I work with an assistant and from next year, on Thursdays we will have 6 under 5s. We then will be picking up a 4 year old from school nursery which we have done for a while, so having 7 under 5s from 3- 5pm. All children in question are already here or continuity/ siblings. One child is only contacted for the morning but often we are asked to have him for the afternoon.

My options are;
1. Tell mum of morning only child that we can't look after her child later than 3 pm on Thursdays.
2. Write a variation every time she needs care after 3pm.
3. Write an ongoing variation for sibling baby covering 3 - 5pm.

Number 3 seems the best for all, but what would you do?

shortstuff
11-12-2014, 01:22 PM
i would probably go with option 3 but write in there it will be occasional.

sarah707
11-12-2014, 08:16 PM
7 under 5 = huge floor space! Have you measured it carefully? An inspector could arrive with a tape measure - Space Requirements (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/spacerequirementseyfs2012.html)

I would also suggest you check with planning permission - if you don't have it and you need it you will not be insured - Planning permission rules - ENGLAND (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/planning-permission-rules-england.html)

You can't leave an assistant with more than 3 under 5 on their own bear that one in mind x

cockatoos
12-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for this - I am well aware of my responsibilities under the EYFS with regards to space requirements, ratios plus local planning laws, but I wasn't really asking those questions! I am trying to do my best to fulfil all of my parents requests and just needed a bit of advice regarding what would be the best way of doing this, with the least amount of extra paperwork for me.

Shortstuff - thanks for your help. I'm still undecided to be honest, and think I may go with option 1 after all!