PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old that should be in school

Georgiepoo
09-12-2014, 09:54 PM
I have a 4 year old who is on reduced hours at school, only at school till 10:30 and with me for the rest of the day.
Obviously I am concerned he is missing out on school time and I have been trying to get him to do small amounts of 'school work'. Nothing too much just reading books and doing letter and number work but he just really does not want to know, he won't even entertain it or try, he says it's school stuff and it's for school!!!
I am concerned that when ofsted cons this is going to reflect badly on me as this sort of stuff is part of the 'early years outcomes'

natlou82
09-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Can you get any support from school? I don't honestly know where you stand with this and I would suggest you seek further advice because I would have thought that he should be provided with home tutoring to some degree as he is now school age.

lisbet
10-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Hi :)

Obviously you know the in and outs of the situation the best, but I am just guessing that he is on those hours either because:

a) there is an already identified physical/ learning need for him to just attend part time and several agencies have agreed that

or b) his parents feel it is best for him to attend part time and the school is happy to accommodate that

Either way, I would imagine that they have decided that it is best that he only has a limited amount of the school experience, so I wouldn't try and do any formal school work with him unless he wanted to. I would just carry on as you would for any other early years child - after all, the reception year is still part of the Early Years Foundation Stage and it is based on play. Either way, as long as you can explain (verbally or in writing) to an Ofsted inspector how you are working with his parents and any other professionals supporting him to meet his learning needs, then you are doing just what you need to do with him in your home already. My youngest daughter didn't even start her free nursery hours until she was four because of her September birthday, and she's doing fine in school, so don't worry - I am sure your mindee is having fun and learning loads with you x

Edited to add: He is not of compulsory education age until the start of the term after his fifth birthday, so you can just take account of the EYFS with him until then OR until he starts attending school full time.

Georgiepoo
10-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Today we made snowmen christmas cards for mums and dads. I did this with my 2 year old son, my 14 month old mindee and this 4 year old mindee. The youngest two listened and made lovely cards with help and me showing as I did with them all and the 4 year olds was totally half arsed (excuse my expression) and later when we sat down to write in them I did 'dotted letters' for him to copy over and he got as far as 'To Mummy' before scribbling over the rest and saying it takes too long and he doesn't like school work!

Mouse
10-12-2014, 04:58 PM
Today we made snowmen christmas cards for mums and dads. I did this with my 2 year old son, my 14 month old mindee and this 4 year old mindee. The youngest two listened and made lovely cards with help and me showing as I did with them all and the 4 year olds was totally half arsed (excuse my expression) and later when we sat down to write in them I did 'dotted letters' for him to copy over and he got as far as 'To Mummy' before scribbling over the rest and saying it takes too long and he doesn't like school work!

In all fairness, that does sound a bit too much like school work and not very child led. If I were you I would stop trying to cover what you think he is missing out on at school and treat him as any EYs child - plan for next steps based on what he does now, don't looking at what he might be doing if he was in school. As someone else has said, school should be dealing with that, so don't feel it is your sole responsibility. If you do want help, ask at school.

I would try to think 'outside the box' to find activities that interest him and include learning.

Does he like superheroes? I've used this pack before with children who are reluctant learners, but who love superheroes. It's amazing how much they learn without even knowing it.

1+1+1=1...Batman Preschool Pack (http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/Batman.html)

blue bear
10-12-2014, 08:36 PM
School is not compulsory until the term after a child turns five.
For whatever reason it has been decided this child is not ready for full time school, I wouldn't be worrying about school type work, follow his development and next steps.
So many children end up going to school when they are not ready because it seems the thing to do because everyone else does.

moggy
11-12-2014, 09:22 AM
I agree, it is not that he 'should be in school'. The term after 5th birthday is the time for school- The carrot of free childcare, the inability to defer a school place to Y1 and following like sheep, has lead to most children going into Reception at just 4 in England. And don't get me started on 'Pre-school' (and the pre-pre-school for 2 year olds?)!

If he is not interested in writing then stop pushing, do not mention writing, don't 'try' to get him to do any, forget the 'dotted letters'. Go back to fun mark making, water on walls, paint, sticks in sand, gross motor skills if he is not ready to build up to the fine motor skills, scribbling is good.

Boys, particularly, at this age are often completely put off writing/reading as they are not ready, my son wasn't ready and it all came to him in Y1.

Have things around that fit with his interests- little clipboard with pencil attached by the mechanics garage, chalk for drawing out race tracks on patio etc so if he wants to do that kind of thing it is there for him. Model things like using a tick list, or writing name labels etc as part of your play, even if he does not copy he is watching and taking it all in.

Talk to the school- ask them how you can support him at your setting. Can you visit school during a session there to see what kind of things they are doing? The teacher may be really helpful.

And if you are concerned about him not meeting the EYGoals then again, talk to the school- they have plenty of experience of how a 4-year-old boy progresses through those last stages of the EYO to the ELG. They are reporting to the LA on his EYG at the end of YR, not you, so don't feel under pressure.