PDA

View Full Version : Help new mindee doesnt speak a word of english

mrsb79
09-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Morning all, new mindee started yesterday he will be 2 in February. My dilemma is that he doesn't speak English in fact he hasn't said anything just cried obviously it must be very scary for him to be left with a lady he doesn't know and someone who doesn't speak any of his home languages, mum is Latvian and dad is African so mum speaks to him in Russian and dad speaks to him in clicks. The poor little mite must be so confused as he also has 4 names and both parents use a different name to the other, I know it will take time for him to settle but I'm just after advice on any suggestions to make the transition for him a little easier. I have a talking pen so I am able to give simple instructions in Russian using that but I don't have a clue about the clicks ! X

Ripeberry
09-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Wow! Sounds complicated. Thank goodness for that talking pen. Don't think I could even say anything in Russian.

mrsb79
09-12-2014, 11:14 AM
When mum speaks to me she always sounds angry but that's just the tone of the language !!! I feel awful as he's so upset bless him but if I try to comfort him he just lashes out and throws things 😢 so I'm now in a quandary as to whether the issue is just the language barrier or a touch of Sen x

sing-low
09-12-2014, 12:57 PM
That must be scary for him! Would pictures help do you think? Say of a toilet/cup/food/toys/coat. That sort of thing. I would also talk urgently to Mum and Dad about what name they want you to call him. He might find that reassuring, if you use it lots and consistently.

k1rstie
09-12-2014, 01:01 PM
I think it's too early to be thinking of SEN.
What this little lad is time. As you say he must be scared and confused. I know I would be.
I would think it could be weeks before he speaks to you, don't worry.

Mouse
09-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Could you find some songs or nursery rhymes in a language he knows?

Music is calming anyway, but if he hears familiar words in the songs it might help him settle.

mrsb79
09-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the ideas 😊 I have a pictorial key chain that I'm trying to use but it's failing miserably 😢 it's like he can see the picture but is staring through it. I'm using the name mum has told me to use but I will be checking with her to see what name they are using at home. On the plus side he has eaten his lunch today. I know that I can come through the other side just hate the fact that he's so upset x

mrsb79
09-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Well mums just collected and as I went to speak to her she interrupted and said that he will be finishing with me on Friday as she can't afford to work and pay me !!! I did ask about tax credits and she said she will let them know, unfortunately I think she has been a casualty of a zero hours contract. At least little man will have the comfort of mummy next week, thanks for all the advice xx

CSR2014
09-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Hi,
You must have the patience of a saint!! Well done on getting this far. What a shame for the little one that the parent's work situation is so unstable, must be very difficult for the child. Oh well, onwards and upwards!!

NightOwl
10-12-2014, 01:45 AM
Wow poor child. He must be confused. How does the pen you mentioned work, sounds helpful.

mrsb79
10-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Hi night owl the pen comes with an interactive board ( like a poster ) for the life of me I can't remember it's name but it has a selection of languages on it and lots of questions phrases and words so you select the language then the phrase / or words and the pen speaks those in the chosen language the downside is if the child responds and you don't understand the language you hit another barrier. So I use the pen in combination with my pictorial key chain x

mrs robbie williams
12-12-2014, 06:11 AM
I know how u feel I've got a polish one who speaks no English and keeps having tantrums I assume because of the language barrier seriously considering giving notice as he isn't settling and it upsets the other children I have had him for three months and still no change :( it's exhausting :( am liking the idea of the pen if u remember the name can u let me know xx

mrsb79
12-12-2014, 06:48 AM
Morning feeling rubbish been sick through the night so have just done the rounds of texts to inform everyone and little mans mum hasn't taken it well 😢 it would be his last day however I'm not well and there is no way I would want any kids here let alone a frightened child who does nothing but cry and scream and won't interact with anyone and to top it all off I've had to throw the pen in the bin as he's thrown it and broken it!!! But if you have a phone with android or an iPhone I found some free children's translator apps which are good. Good luck with your mindee mrsrobbie Williams I'm going back to bed x

NightOwl
14-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the info. mrsb79. :-)

Simona
18-12-2014, 09:18 AM
When mum speaks to me she always sounds angry but that's just the tone of the language !!! I feel awful as he's so upset bless him but if I try to comfort him he just lashes out and throws things 😢 so I'm now in a quandary as to whether the issue is just the language barrier or a touch of Sen x

If you contact your EY team they will be able to support you and also signpost where you can get advice especially if this child is entitled to 2 year old funding.
First thing is to get mum and dad to give you key words to communicate with him...that will be a start...do a little sign language

There will be an Area SEN-CO who can suggest a few activities...the child may not have SEN just ...trilinguism...he is confused hence the tantrums?
you can also ring the Speech and Language dept in your LA and get them to give you advice....you don't need to give the child's name

Good luck!