PDA

View Full Version : not getting paid?

jaykay79
05-12-2014, 04:33 PM
hi, I have a parent who keeps asking for little bits of overtime (an hour here an hour there) but is not paying me for it! she just pays me a set amount each week by standing order and so I don't do bills. how can I ask without sounding cheeky for my money, it might not seem much to her and therefore not worth bothering with (or maybe she thinks i'm doing it for free as a favour lol) but if no one ever paid me for these bits and bobs I do I'd be quite a few pounds down a week! I had decided i'd just not do any further overtime for her but then I though well why shouldn't I ask for payment for it! thanks all x

shortstuff
05-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Maybe create an invoice stating all the dates and fees owed. But ask if they would like to add it to their so or pay in cash?

JCrakers
05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Always do a monthly invoice.. that's my advice. Its more professional and if you don't, parents may think its just something you do to make a bit of pin money.

If she's asking for extra hours then add it onto the next months bill as extra hours.

AliceK
05-12-2014, 04:53 PM
If you don't do invoices then I suggest in this case I would do a special one and hand it to her. Make sure you put a payment req'd by date on it too.

xx

Mouse
05-12-2014, 05:20 PM
If you haven't asked for any extra money she probably thinks she doesn't have to pay it. Not her fault really, just lack of communication.

Next time she asks I would say "yes, that's fine. It'll cost £x. Do you want to pay it separately or add it to the monthly bill?"

Ripeberry
05-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Always do an invoice in case of a query from HMRC.

CSR2014
05-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Hi,
In my previous life, I was responsible for ensuring that a very large number of people were paid. I can assure you that if my poor Payroll Clerk accidentially forgot to put even a hours worth of overtime through her life wasn't worth living!! I exagerate of course, but you get the drift!! 99.9% of people who are employed want paying for any overtime they do. So I would imagine that Mum gets paid overtime by her employer, of course she does!!

Perhaps take the view of 'new year, fresh start' and when she asks for overtime say 'yes, no problem, I'll do you an invoice so you can amend your bank payment!!'.

Good luck!!

bunyip
07-12-2014, 12:57 PM
I can only agree with everything said by members here already.

But I would add that I have no idea where people get off on the idea that being asked to pay for the provision of a service is "cheeky." :eek:

jaykay79
08-12-2014, 06:47 PM
thanks guys, have popped a little note in detailing the figures over xmas and also adding on the overtime :) it's only a small amount but all these little small bits and bobs we do for people add up don't they :) I've also dropped a bill into someone else who I did a few school drop offs for who look like they weren't planning on paying me either! x