PDA

View Full Version : christmas enquiry..

Karen1
03-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Just had an enquiry for 8 hours day 25th dec to 4th jan, every day !!! What do you all think?

Ive got a funny feeling on this seems odd to me. I know people work over christmas, but.... Do any of you work like this over christmas and what do you charge? If you dont nind me asking?

Ideas,what should i reply. I dont think i will be doing this, def not christmas day, boxing day!!

tigwig
03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Well if it were me I wouldn't want to do it lol. However lots of people clearly have to and I'm guessing the parent already uses someone who won't do it and has had a last minute change to work and is seeing what's available? Imo you need to charge double fees at least. Do you want to consider it? I guess it depends on the age of the child etc and whether you think they could fit in with your family. It could be a chance to earn some extra jan sale cash and help out a child and mum too.

tess1981
03-12-2014, 10:27 PM
You don't have to say yes... I don't open over Christmas and would not even reopen for one day even if a parent was stuck... but then it all depends what your holidays are over Christmas and if you open them dates

Karen1
03-12-2014, 10:52 PM
I have closed for two weeks. The more i think about it, the mire i think no. I dont know this child, so could b hard work and it is christmas, i want to relax with my own kids. Think decision is really made, but feel guilty. Just keep thinking of the child 15 months away from home at xmas! Just reminds me why i started this job in first pmace-my kids.

natlou82
03-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Karen, I say go with your heart and stay closed. I have decided to take a decent amount of time off over Christmas as I really want some precious time with my own family, this is clearly important to you too so I think you would regret it. What a shame this little one may have to spend this special time with someone they've never met :(

hectors house
04-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Feel very sorry for the child but think I would only consider this request if it was one of my existing mindees - same as when I get enquiries for overnight care, wouldn't do it for a stranger - not fair on me or the child.

smurfette
04-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Sounds a bit dodgy.. I had one like this last
Christmas but I think they said so they could go out with friends etc! They did ring but it didn't sit right. Yours may well be genuine but either way I would stick to your guns .. Reckon you would regret it xx

Maza
04-12-2014, 09:23 AM
It might not be a Christian child and therefore the family doesn't celebrate Christmas, so possibly not as sad/unusual etc as it first seems. Maybe because of this the parents have volunteered to work over Christmas as their Christian colleagues (and childminder/nanny) are using up their holidays then. I would say no, it's certainly not fair on my husband and daughter. I also need a complete break from work. You just say 'Thank you for your enquiry, but I am not available between (enter dates)'. You could direct them to FIS or suggest that they ask on your local Facebook network or the other parenting sites. x

Karen1
04-12-2014, 12:26 PM
I have said sorry no i am closed. If it had been existing mindee i would of do.e it, but this is completly new child and its my family christmas. We all need a break. Just feel for child having to do this. Have given her fis number etc. Will think of him though

kellib
04-12-2014, 01:15 PM
I would have said no even if it was one of my current mindees, christmas is my time!

tess1981
04-12-2014, 02:41 PM
I would have said no even if it was one of my current mindees, christmas is my time!

Totally agree... I had a parent once asking me to change my easter holidays by one day but I explained I have them 2 days off to spend with my own children and planned to do things... I had nothing planned but she knew my dates from the year before. I always Stick to the same holidays. Like everyone else we need our time off for our sanity and ours kids sake. Plus if you take a child who does not know you they may cry all day and ruin a peaceful Christmas. Plus no wine with your dinner lol

KateA
04-12-2014, 04:06 PM
hi good for you I too would say no as well for new or existing family as its my families time and time for me to relax have the odd drink.

k1rstie
04-12-2014, 05:20 PM
Don't feel guilty. You have deserved your break.

Kerry30
04-12-2014, 05:50 PM
I would personally say no as ive decided to close for 2 wks over xmas this year for the first time. It could possibly be a family that work in the emergency services or a nurse etc. I had a friend whose husband was a fireman and he had to work xmas day every other year. I know she hated it .