PDA

View Full Version : Access fo fresh drinking water

mumofone
03-12-2014, 09:01 PM
One of the EYFS requirements is for children to have access to fresh drinking water all day but from a childminders point of view does this literally mean having clean running water in your house and being able to provide it to children upon request OR does it mean having a jug/cup of water available to children within their own reach at all times? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

tonib
03-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Hi! My lot have their own water bottles which I check are filled regularly and kept on a tray where they can reach them. I don't like the idea of a jug so they can pour their own - too many spill ages! They fill the bottles themselves if they are able too.

Don't know if this is correct in ofsteds eyes but it has worked well for us.

Toni x

natlou82
03-12-2014, 09:20 PM
I do pretty much the same. I tried the jug and cups with the older ones once but they couldn't lift it easily, it was a potential nightmare lol x

Mouse
03-12-2014, 09:37 PM
I put sports bottles on the table and refresh them during the day. The children are taught to go and sit at the table if they want a drink. They also learn which is their drink & not to take anyone else's!

moggy
03-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Mine are 1-3 year olds and have sippy cups (with fold-down nozzle) of water on the table to access when they need, also use them for meals. Different colour each.

sing-low
03-12-2014, 10:32 PM
My Development Officer told me that if I didn't have water available for the children to access themselves, then I would have to be frequently asking the children if they wanted a drink. Sounded like far too much work to me (and the sort of thing I would be bound to forget during an inspection!) so I have lidded cups (each child has their own colour) on a low shelf.

hectors house
03-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Mine all have different coloured cups - the younger children have ones with lids and have them down on the floor with them when they are playing, older children have theirs on corner of the table with a jug half filled with water on a tray also on table - if they want more drink they know they can sit up to table and pour more water or ask me to do it for them.

Simona
05-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Hi! My lot have their own water bottles which I check are filled regularly and kept on a tray where they can reach them. I don't like the idea of a jug so they can pour their own - too many spill ages! They fill the bottles themselves if they are able too.

Don't know if this is correct in ofsteds eyes but it has worked well for us.

Toni x

Your system works very well and used by many providers who also use water bottles like you do.....not much an inspector can object to because we are following the EYFS guidance and water is available at all times!!!

Many CMs also label the water bottles with the child's name.....a bit of literacy thrown in for good measure as well!

tess1981
05-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Our social workers ask do children have access to fresh drinking water and as long as we say yes that's it covered ... I would not leave cups jugs or bottles out too many spills and fight over she took my cup or bottle if they want a drink they know to ask

Simona
07-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Our social workers ask do children have access to fresh drinking water and as long as we say yes that's it covered ... I would not leave cups jugs or bottles out too many spills and fight over she took my cup or bottle if they want a drink they know to ask

Jugs can cause spillages and that is something you can decide on but sports' bottles have lids which the children can close themselves and learn a few more skills.
Children can mop up a few water drops and that would link to areas of learning and caring for the environment

Yes there maybe a few fights at first maybe but the children soon get used to going for their own bottles without any problem ...especially when they start to recognise their own name on it and bring it back to you saying it is 'half full ' or 'half empty' ...:thumbsup:

tess1981
07-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Jugs can cause spillages and that is something you can decide on but sports' bottles have lids which the children can close themselves and learn a few more skills.
Children can mop up a few water drops and that would link to areas of learning and caring for the environment

Yes there maybe a few fights at first maybe but the children soon get used to going for their own bottles without any problem ...especially when they start to recognise their own name on it and bring it back to you saying it is 'half full ' or 'half empty' ...:thumbsup:

I know they would quickly figure out who owns what bottle but I have two 2yo who would touch each others bottles to wind each other up... They spend the entire day thinking of ways to make the other cry

Simona
07-12-2014, 09:55 AM
I know they would quickly figure out who owns what bottle but I have two 2yo who would touch each others bottles to wind each other up... They spend the entire day thinking of ways to make the other cry

Oh yes...2 year olds seem to have perfected the 'winding each other up' art...the best bit is when they try and mop up the spillages with a mop and accidentally hit each other...Oh dear those are real screams!!!

tess1981
07-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Oh yes...2 year olds seem to have perfected the 'winding each other up' art...the best bit is when they try and mop up the spillages with a mop and accidentally hit each other...Oh dear those are real screams!!!

Makes me so glad I cm in n.Ireland. don't have as many rules to follow lol

Jayse74
10-12-2014, 06:19 PM
I bought my wife this "Monkey" water dispenser. Much like the water things you get in offices and waiting rooms but aimed at younger people hence the monkey theme/design. The Mindee's love it! When it was first placed on the table, it was a focal point and they were all wanting to have a go.

They can easily fill their own cup using it, so as long as the water container is filled with fresh water they are happy :)

Dragonfly
10-12-2014, 08:05 PM
I don't like sports bottles at home. Would rather children/toddlers use cups and use them properly ( lidded for under twos who have yet to master the no lidded cup)

loocyloo
10-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I have a small lidded jug on the table, along with plastic beakers ( would like to use glass, but with a tiled floor, just can't quite bring myself to use them yet! ) children help themselves and its out of reach for the littlies!

under 18mth/2 yrs ( depending upon child ) they have a lidded cup, but not one of those 'need super suck strength' ones! normal ones that pour over the floor should they wish to do so !! :rolleyes:

sometimes we take sports bottle out with us, and other times I take a bottle of water and a collection of plastic beakers.

Simona
11-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Makes me so glad I cm in n.Ireland. don't have as many rules to follow lol

Couldn't agree with you more!!!
Hurray for N Ireland if it has eliminated the obvious from some nonsensical rules!
Sometimes I wonder if we see rules where there aren't any just to be 'scared' of Ofsted?

tess1981
11-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Couldn't agree with you more!!!
Hurray for N Ireland if it has eliminated the obvious from some nonsensical rules!
Sometimes I wonder if we see rules where there aren't any just to be 'scared' of Ofsted?

When I read all the paperwork and eyfs work that has to be done in England Scotland and Wales I wonder how the poor cms even get a chance to play with the children or change a nappy. I always thought cm in a home should feel like a home. I don't display art much I stick it to the kitchen door then send it home that day. If they want a lazy day they have it. I take out a box of toys each day but do not leave art and craft stuff out. I either plan this or the children ask can they colour in. I do have a Facebook page I post to so parents see what we made. No learning journeys or 2 years checks.

Jiorjiina
12-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Sports bottles or lidded cups here for outside of meal times (including outings), cups or glasses and a jug on the table for during meal times. All three or under here during the day, so lidded cups/sports bottles because attention tends to wander and they get dropped or left lying around waiting to be knocked over...

CSR2014
12-12-2014, 10:29 PM
As you will see from the posts most follow the guidelines in their own way!! As always, the Inspectors are looking to see that the children have clean, fresh water and access at all times. How everyone provides this is open to personal choice!!

Simona
13-12-2014, 08:40 AM
When I read all the paperwork and eyfs work that has to be done in England Scotland and Wales I wonder how the poor cms even get a chance to play with the children or change a nappy. I always thought cm in a home should feel like a home. I don't display art much I stick it to the kitchen door then send it home that day. If they want a lazy day they have it. I take out a box of toys each day but do not leave art and craft stuff out. I either plan this or the children ask can they colour in. I do have a Facebook page I post to so parents see what we made. No learning journeys or 2 years checks.

Paperwork too is very much up to individual and personal choice as is how we provide water to children
the EYFS does require a certain amount of paperwork for the running of the business and documentation of children's progress...that has been really simplified recently.

We all do things differently but there is certainly an amount of bureaucracy that cms choose to do in addition when not really required.
EYFS 2014 has reduced the burden but when I read posts I feel cms add to it rather than reduce...policies in particular are an area where cms seem to have more than actually required....but it is a personal choice.

There is however the feeling that many cms do too much 'just in case' they get asked by the inspector... that will be dependant on which group she works for as free lance....is she from South or North?....
Inspectors should really only ask to see what is required by the framework not what the individual inspector thinks she ought to see....oh and then there are the DOs in lAs who seem to dream up paperwork at every opportunity???

There is also the fear of Ofsted which is becoming very unhealthy and quite worrying amongst cms.

Sorry for the deviation....my view of course