PDA

View Full Version : New childminder advice! / Toys/equipment required!!?

Lucy Wardle
02-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Hello I will be qualified and registered next spring. I've got two young children myself with a variety of toys.

Has anyone got a list of the basic toys/equipment required in order to comply with ofsted?

I'm not referring to prams, high hairs etc. Just learning/development items that cover all the areas as stated in EYFS.

This is probably a lazy question but I just wondered if any new childminders had a ready made shopping list!

I'm new to this website.... Is their a section I should join for 'new childminders'?

Thanks

Rick
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
You're in the right place! You might like to say hello here:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/say-hello/

loocyloo
02-12-2014, 01:44 PM
hello, welcome and good luck!

I think most of us start out with the toys our own children have and then build from there! it really depends what age children you have and what they are interested in ... too easy to turn your house into a toy shop otherwise ( actually, its easy to turn into a toy shop whatever you do! :laughing: )

I would have a look to make sure you have a couple of items that 'fit' each of the 7 areas of learning, although some can cover more than one area! off the top of my head I would have books, puzzles, small world, construction (wooden blocks), vehicles, dolls, play food and musical instruments - all of which I expect you already have :D I also have a lot of treasure baskets and sensory items which are played with by everyone. oh and some 'craft' bits.

natlou82
02-12-2014, 11:09 PM
I just wanted to say Hello x I think loocyloo has covered most of it. It will depend on the ages of children I have a few after schoolies and I would recommend paper, lots of it, crayons, felt tips, craft items, glue sticks, paint etc (my lot are always drawing, colouring or making things out of recycling). My most popular toys at the minute with the little ones are the garage and cars, small world toys and the farm. Good luck with it all :-)

mumofone
03-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Sorry to jump In on this thread, could someone tell me what "small world" toys are? Sorry I'm new and as you can see, completely clueless! :-)

natlou82
03-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Eg:- happyland or other similar, where you can create scenes like a village, zoo, doctors etc

VeggieSausage
03-12-2014, 01:24 PM
If I was you I would trawl charity shops, boot fairs and jumble sales - only buy stuff in good condition - look out for books, wooden toys, cars and vehicles, interesting dressing up bits, dolls/ buggies etc, wooden puzzles, musical instruments.....don't spend loads as children will have differing interests according to their age etc.....

CSR2014
03-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Hi & welcome!
Just to add to what others have said, avoid any toys that don't have the CE mark for safety!

yummyripples
04-12-2014, 12:41 AM
I would say not to buy anything until you start then you will see what you need.
Its not the toys that cover the eyfs, it's the activities that you do in most cases.