PDA

View Full Version : Help

Smileyface
01-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Hello just after some advice really I've been having trouble with a 5 year old boy I mind for some time ....
On Friday he told me he was going to tell mum and dad that I hit him... I told parents immediately and they said not to worry but I can't help but worry I really want to give notice.

Mindful Mama
01-12-2014, 07:05 AM
write up the incident and I think in this case I would get the parents to sign it....

I think personally if I had a child who was threatening to lie to his parents about me hitting him I would give notice to safeguard myself...

VeggieSausage
04-12-2014, 06:27 PM
You must protect yourself and your family against an allegation of abuse. What if he carried through with it.....weird thing for a 5 year old to say. I think you should give notice and terminate the contract immediately......

sarah707
04-12-2014, 08:20 PM
If he tells his teacher you had hit him she would have to tell the head who would ring safeguarding. The first you know about it would be a knock on the door and closure notice :(

Personally I would suggest to parents you are not the best place for him any more x

LilMisConfused
05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
At only 5 I would suggest that the fact he is threatening you with this could be a safeguarding issue in itself - it seems like something he shouldn't really understand in this way at such a young age (the idea of threatening you with lying about physical abuse). Write it up and report it - you never know if there might be something bigger going on, that this sort of information can feed into at local authority level. And even if not, at least you can say you did everything you could to address the issue.

CSR2014
06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Oh dear, how awful for you to have this situation. Like others have suggested, I would speak to the parents and explain to them that you are no longer confident that you are the right person for him to be with. By this I don't mean for a second that you have done anything wrong. What I mean is try to end things with them in the 'right' way so that they understand that it is your concern for the child and the future that is causing you such distress that you cannot continue.

It is tempting to say just write it up and carry on but it is not good to continue and have this hanging over you as a threat.

I hope this is resolved without further distress to you. Best wishes.

Daisy De
06-12-2014, 07:13 AM
I don't think I could carry on minding this child after what has been said.

Many years ago a fellow minder had a little boy around 5 I think who told his parents the minder was drinking wine during the day and was drunk when driving. The parents knew it wasn't true and the lady continued to look after the boy for several years. Nowadays, I dread to think what might have happened!

Smileyface
11-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Hello
I have since been told the school think he has autism the parents were told months ago and failed to mention this to me.
I'm not in a very awkward position as I can't give him the care he needs and there is no childminder with space around here.
Any advice welcome please I feel awful letting them down .

k1rstie
11-12-2014, 07:50 AM
It's not your responsibility to find a new childminder for him. If the local childminders do not have spaces that's not your problem.

Ripeberry
11-12-2014, 07:52 AM
I mind a 4 year old and he can be quite 'nasty'. We were talking yesterday about Father Christmas and that he only gives presents to good children. All that afternoon he had been hitting and pushing his other siblings (2yr old and 6 yr old) and he looked me in the eye and said ' If Father Christmas doesn't give me a present I'll punch him in the face!'
Well, that's not the way to win friends and influence people....:rolleyes:

Mouse
11-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Hello
I have since been told the school think he has autism the parents were told months ago and failed to mention this to me.
I'm not in a very awkward position as I can't give him the care he needs and there is no childminder with space around here.
Any advice welcome please I feel awful letting them down .

You are not letting anyone down. You are simply acknowledging that your setting is not the right place for him. You will be doing the best you can for him by getting parents to arrange childcare that suits his needs.

You might feel bad about it now, but how much worse would you feel if he made an allegation against you and there was an investigation? A little bit of awkwardness now will be a lot better than a lot of upset later.

It may be difficult for parents to find alternative childcare, but that is their responsibility and not something you should stress about.

:group hug: