PDA

View Full Version : Do you supply baby food?

NinkyNonk
28-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Morning! As the title says really....what do you do about baby food? I have a potential parent coming next week, baby will be 8 months old. I've only ever had toddlers and up before so not sure what to do about baby food. I normally charge for lunch but if the LO is still on baby food, do I supply that or ask the parent to?

KateA
28-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Hi, I dont supply baby food as all my parents have to supply the food for their children for the day this includes formula.
Could you not blitzed down the food you give to the other children? This way you are providing all families the same service?

chris goodyear
28-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I always ask parents to supply baby food and when they progress to our food then I supply and I don't charge for it. I also ask them to supply if they have any out of the ordinary food e.g I have just taken on a 1 year old who may have a wheat intolerance so mum supplies any wheat free food,

AliceK
28-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Once a child has started to be weaned and mum is happy for them to eat "normal" food then I will supply whatever is on the menu for the day. I am a fan of BLW so all the LO's here have always had whatever everyone else is having. Never had a problem although my 7yr old DD still can't understand how one of my just turned 1yr olds can eat everything even though she hasn't really got any teeth lol. If mum insists on using specific baby food then they will need to supply that.

xxxx

hectors house
28-11-2014, 02:07 PM
I normally supply meals after child has turned 12 months, but have a baby who is only 9 months who has been coming for last month now and the mum has said she has looked at the menus that older children have had and said that she is happy for me to blitz them down for baby - am starting from next week. Mum has supplied baby food until now.

loocyloo
28-11-2014, 02:35 PM
I usually ask parents to supply food for a baby until babe is eating 'normal' meals. I'm happy to mush them up a bit if needed. I also like parents to provide babes meals for first few days so I can see what they give and quantities! Always interesting ;-)
If allergies or intolerances then I have conversation with parents to discuss what and how we work together to sort out meals.

lollipop kid
28-11-2014, 02:38 PM
I only supply food to children over 12 months old (and milk/bottle feeds etc.) Parents supply until then. I feel that this best protects me and the child.

L

Mouse
28-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Like others, I get parents to supply food until the child can eat the same food as everyone else (without it having to be blitzed or blended). I don't set an age limit. Once they are eating everything I take over supplying food.

VeggieSausage
28-11-2014, 07:44 PM
I do, I make sure I know what stage they are at.....i do purees etc....I charge for food though....

bunyip
29-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Depends what you mean by "baby food". If a parent is happy for me to feed a meal of my choosing to their baby then, as with all children's meals, it's no extra charge (and an excellent way of ensuring my latest allotment glut isn't wasted. :thumbsup: )

If parents stipulate a particular 'bought-in' baby food product. They are welcome to provide it at their own cost. Btw, this isn't to do with cultural/allergen requirements, but only if mum and dad say, "my lo is only to have XXXXX branded meals."

Maza
29-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I provide it. I will only make meals with food which has been tried already at home though. I personally wouldn't knock money off my bill if parents 'insisted' on providing their own as it wouldn't be worth me having their child for any less money that I already charge. I don't provide formula though.

moggy
29-11-2014, 09:04 PM
I would make baby food based on the dinner we are all having, so minus anything unsuitable and mashed/pureed as needed.

I would not be happy feeding jars/pouch food to a baby at all- it is processed food and against my own food policy and ethos.

The youngest I have had was 10mths old and all have been basically BLW so 'normal' food has not been a problem so far.

hectors house
29-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Have just blitzed roast chicken dinners and put in freezer for baby to start having my meals - hope she's not too addicted to jars of :censored: to appreciate home cooked food.

I asked my milk provider if I could claim for formula milk for her and they sent me an application pack saying that I had to buy the powdered formula (not cartons of ready made), I checked with mum and she said 9 month old baby is on follow on milk - but the milk provider said they only reimburse for first stage baby milk! This mum is following correct advice but, surely the milk company don't expect 9 month olds to be either still on first stage milk or drinking normal full fat milk?

moggy
30-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Have just blitzed roast chicken dinners and put in freezer for baby to start having my meals - hope she's not too addicted to jars of :censored: to appreciate home cooked food.

I asked my milk provider if I could claim for formula milk for her and they sent me an application pack saying that I had to buy the powdered formula (not cartons of ready made), I checked with mum and she said 9 month old baby is on follow on milk - but the milk provider said they only reimburse for first stage baby milk! This mum is following correct advice but, surely the milk company don't expect 9 month olds to be either still on first stage milk or drinking normal full fat milk?

You can buy powder follow-on milk formula, it is cheaper than ready-made cartons which is why the Nursery Milk scheme stipulate it I think.

hectors house
30-11-2014, 09:36 AM
You can buy powder follow-on milk formula, it is cheaper than ready-made cartons which is why the Nursery Milk scheme stipulate it I think.

No Cool milk said it had to be powdered baby milk not powdered follow on milk - I only have the 9 month old baby 3 days a week and she only has one bottle a day during time that I have her so mum isn't worried about supplying it, I just thought I could get it free for her and offer babies the same free milk as I do other children. In another 3 months I can add her to the "drinking lists" and get free whole milk for her.

NinkyNonk
30-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks everyone....I do charge an standard hourly rate which includes drink and snack - and charge extra for meals (lunch and dinner)...although this baby will only be with me between 8am and 4pm so won't be having 'dinner' as such. I guess I could just say we'll see what stage the baby is at when it comes to it - if she prefers to provide food that is fine.