PDA

View Full Version : Parents bringing in sick child!

Miss freckles
27-11-2014, 01:44 PM
So I'm writing this post from my bed as im closed today as I was yesterday due to a stomach bug :mad: and I'm so angry about it all.

I had a child come to me last Thursday and was sick in the afternoon twice, I couldn't get hold of the parents at all and the child had to stay with me until the normal pick up time. The mum text me the following day to say how the child had been sick and diarrhoea at home. Comes back Monday morning mum says he's been fine nothing has happened since sat morn which I thought conveniently fitted in with the 48hr exclusion period. Mum was saying he hasn't really been eating but he's fine. Anyway child was fine all morning then woke from a sleep covered head to toe in diarrhoea, the child had no spare clothes, and I couldn't get hold of anyone again for 30-40 mins, then dad collected.

I then wake up Wednesday morn with the sick bug, sickness, diarrhoea and not forgetting a fainting episode. I've had to close for two days losing a lot of money.

The last time I was sick like and had to close was back in January when the same parent bought her child in who was sick at the time. I've had enough of this now and now my own children are at risk of catching this.

I have lost count at the amount of times I write in newsletters about the importance of sending in sick children, they all have sick policies all of which have been updated and they were reminded of sickness only a month ago now. Has anybody got any other ideas that can help to drum it into them that sending in a sick child is unacceptable? I'm at my wits end now you think it would be such a simple task to keep a sick child away. And to top it all off one of the other parents has got the hump with me as I've had to close today :panic:

AliceK
27-11-2014, 01:56 PM
That's unforgivable. It sounds like you have done all you can your end but if a parent lies to us how do we know until it's too late. TBH if it were me I would terminate the contract, they've broken the terms of the contract and ignored your sickness policy. I would be so so angry.
I hope you feel better soon and hope your own children don't catch it.

xxx

smurfette
27-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Think I would terminate too now it has happened twice.. And it wil happen again. ! How have they won now they have lost care for two days.. It makes no sense why they do it, I suppose they hope we won't catch it! So sorry this has happened.. This and money are the two issues u hate in this job... Hope you feel better soon and your own kids don't get it xx

lollipop kid
27-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Think I would terminate too now it has happened twice.. And it wil happen again. ! How have they won now they have lost care for two days.. It makes no sense why they do it, I suppose they hope we won't catch it! So sorry this has happened.. This and money are the two issues u hate in this job... Hope you feel better soon and your own kids don't get it xx

Hi, I"ve written into my contracts that I will terminate the contract immediately if the parent knowingly brings a sick child to your setting. The first time they do this, remind them of the point in the contract and say if it happens again, you will terminate immediately and RETAIN their 4 week deposit in lieu of earnings. (Put this in the contract too!)

Works for me!

Hope you feel better soon,
L

rickysmiths
28-11-2014, 01:02 AM
I am exactly the same as lollypopkid. All in my Contract and I can claim loss of earnings if I am off sick as a result. I would not be having that child in my house again. I also state in my Contract that I have at least 2 sets if spare clothes for each child. If I don't get them I don't take the child until I do.

Miss freckles
28-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies, didn't know if I was overreacting or not.

Unfortunately my husband has now got it today and he works a second job on fri and sat nights on a self employed business so will also mean loss of earnings for us if he's too unwell to work tonight :mad:so if my children go down with it which would be quite likely seen as both of us have had it, may mean I could have to close again mon or tues possibly.

I will def be updating my sickness policy today stating that I will terminate contract immediately if a parent knowingly brings in a child sick and I will also state I will claim for loss of earnings, and think I'll print off the hpa guidelines for them all as well.

I really don't think they have any idea what the consequences are if we catch their child's sickness :(

lollipop kid
28-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the replies, didn't know if I was overreacting or not.

Unfortunately my husband has now got it today and he works a second job on fri and sat nights on a self employed business so will also mean loss of earnings for us if he's too unwell to work tonight :mad:so if my children go down with it which would be quite likely seen as both of us have had it, may mean I could have to close again mon or tues possibly.

I will def be updating my sickness policy today stating that I will terminate contract immediately if a parent knowingly brings in a child sick and I will also state I will claim for loss of earnings, and think I'll print off the hpa guidelines for them all as well.

I really don't think they have any idea what the consequences are if we catch their child's sickness :(

Good for you.

If you use the PACEY contracts, you're already covered for this. Have a look on page 4, point M under:
"The registered childminder may terminate the contract immediately for any of the following reasons (but not limited to):"

(It's the last bullet point. If you don't, then the wording says:)

"If parent(s)/guardian(s) brings a child to the setting knowing that they are ill"

Good luck!

L

KatieFS
28-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Absolutely shocking! The relationship between me and parent is based on mutual respect. Parents bringing children knowing they are sick is not acceptable and puts the relationship under great strain,
I could accept it happening once perhaps but twice I would terminate the contract.
The reason we have a sickness illness policy is to protect the children in our care, the sick child being one of these, and of course protect ourselves against infection. It is on the best interests of the child. I completely understand parents have to work, but they are parents first.

FloraDora
28-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I totally agree that it is wrong for parents to send them when they are sick, it is all about emphasising this, this morning I had a dad ring asking if he should keep LO at home because mum has been sick in the night, lovely that he asked, knowing the rules, but since the LO wasn't sick I said she was fine to come.
Like others have said review your contract and put in a clause around sickness and consequence if sent known.

A problem with this job seems to be that childminders are probably a bit run down and prone to picking up any virus going. Sometimes we forget about our health I think as there are an awful lot of childminders who seem to immediately 'catch' what the children have. I worked amongst children who I sent home with bugs and viruses for thirty odd years and rarely caught any, neither did my colleagues, wiping noses and bottoms, clearing up sick etc... But I am a bit OCD about washing hands. It has payed off though.

A strict hygiene routine is imperative, like in hospitals, for us working with children, it does work..... Anti bacterial spray regularly through out the day on surfaces , wash hands after every nose is blown or face and hands wiped, toys in mouths put on the side when been in mouths to be thoroughly washed later, toilets cleaned regularly and apron and gloves worn when changing nappies. Eat well, rest enough and keep a happy healthy mind. It is really important when loss of earnings is the result of picking up things from the little ones.

I hope you feel better soon ...risk assess and review your own practice too once you are feeling better and have decided the outcome for this family and the next time an unknown virus infected child appears you should be protected against it.

loocyloo
28-11-2014, 02:46 PM
I'd be cross too and would be discussing terminating the contract with parents. I have a sentence in my policies saying I may charge if I have to close due to inconsiderate parents.
I've been working as a childminder for over 10 years ( and in early years for over 25 ) and I rarely (tempting fate!) get ill. My immune system has built up over time. I do wash hands/clean toys etc but not over zealously as I think that houses/people that are obsessive have less germs hanging around and are thus more susceptible to 'new' or 'visiting' bugs.

Simona
28-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Policies and contracts are being discussed in this thread but the 2 are totally different in my view.

A policy is a statement of our ethos, practice and way we run our business...parents read and sign in agreement but a policy is not legally binding.

A contract is legally binding and that is where the Terms and Conditions of sickness/exclusion/payment or otherwise must be because it would also tie with the EYFS statutory requirement to minimise the spread of infection...that includes cared for children, our own and ourselves.

If your 'off the shelf' contract does not cover this add a clause and get parents to sign as part of your contract not as an acknowledgement that they have read your sickness policy.