PDA

View Full Version : Smoking santa dilema!

Mouse
24-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Our Christmas activities this year are based on the poem The Night Before Christmas. It's always been a favourite of mine & my own children.

I started reading it to the minded children last week. They are all pre-schoolers, aged 2 -4yrs.

One part of the poem is describing St Nicholas and says "The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath".

I've always read that before without a second thought, but now I'm wondering - would you read that bit to the children? Part of me thinks yes, it's just a part of the poem, but part of me thinks no, I don't want them picturing santa claus puffing away on a pipe and surrounded by smoke!

What are your thoughts?

Simona
24-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Our Christmas activities this year are based on the poem The Night Before Christmas. It's always been a favourite of mine & my own children.

I started reading it to the minded children last week. They are all pre-schoolers, aged 2 -4yrs.

One part of the poem is describing St Nicholas and says "The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath".

I've always read that before without a second thought, but now I'm wondering - would you read that bit to the children? Part of me thinks yes, it's just a part of the poem, but part of me thinks no, I don't want them picturing santa claus puffing away on a pipe and surrounded by smoke!

What are your thoughts?

Wonderful choice and the children will love it

You are probably going to get quite a few opinions on this
Personally I would read the poem exactly as it is...it may trigger a discussion about smoking and related topics....but that can only lead to children learning about healthy choices and lifestyle

Enjoy it after all Santa is Santa !!

ziggy
24-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Wonderful choice and the children will love it

You are probably going to get quite a few opinions on this
Personally I would read the poem exactly as it is...it may trigger a discussion about smoking and related topics....but that can only lead to children learning about healthy choices and lifestyle

Enjoy it after all Santa is Santa !!

I love that poem and would read it anyway. I was quite shocked when i collected mindee from granny's house on Friday and granny was smoking in house but heyho

Maza
24-11-2014, 09:13 PM
It's quite tricky isn't it because some of the children will have parents who smoke and so while you can't condone it, you have to 'dis' it respectfully, if you see what I mean! I would read it all out and it might go over their heads but if they do pick up on it just see where the discussion leads you. I would probably say that we all use our imaginations to think about what Santa is really like and that this particular poet thinks that he might smoke, but he probably doesn't because he is too busy doing more exciting stuff. I love that poem!

clareelizabeth1
24-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I have a topsy and Tim book where their uncle stops for a smoke so far I've never left him having a smoke out and have never been questioned by tm the children either.

cockatoos
25-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Curious George smokes 'a good pipe' which always makes me chuckle - different era hey! Have to say I've never read it with childminded children though!

Mouse
25-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks for your thoughts.

I read it yesterday leaving the smoking bit in & none of them really took any notice of it. They listen out for the line that follows about him having a belly like a bowl full of jelly and think they overlook the smoking part as they're all poised to laugh at that bit :D