PDA

View Full Version : Settling in

emz31
24-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Hi do any of you charge for settling in sessions and how long do you do them for? And can you only do settling in visit once iv recieved my certificate? Xx

KateA
24-11-2014, 10:18 AM
hi, I do 2 x 2 hour settling sessions which I don't charge for, but if parents feel they want more than that I charge at my normal houry rate.
No settling in sesions booked until contract, deposit and first month fees paid at contract signing.

I don't think you can work or do settling in until you have your certificate x

bunyip
24-11-2014, 10:31 AM
I normally offer 1-2 free settling-in visits of 1-2 hours, when the child is here without the parent. I usually offer 1 or more free 'stay and play' visits before the settling-in visits: these are where the parent stays too. This can help with the settling process, but are frequently a complete waste of time. They tend to help anxious/guilt-ridden mums more than the lo's for whom nothing can replicate the shock and gradual realisation that mum has been gone a lot longer when they're attending here 'for real'.

I sometimes permit or suggest more visits than that, depending on what I or mum think is required. I tend to offer these for free if they're my suggestion, which is usually cos I think they might save me some grief in the long run. I charge if mum requests more visits and I don't feel they're really needed.

It's difficult knowing when to start the visits, especially with a family who've signed up well before the date they require care. You don't want to leave it too late, and you want to keep in contact and keep the momentum going. But then again, if you start too early, then you kinda settle them in then send them away to 'unsettle' IYSWIM.

If you've not yet registered, then you may find it best to limit yourself to what I call 'stay and play' visits, where the parent is present the whole time. Otherwise, you will not be insured for taking responsibility for the child. Any sort of pre-reg visit presents its own problems, as it is unwise to sign any contracts before you have your certificate.

I personally do not do any settling-in visits before the contract is signed and I have a deposit in my possession. From time to time in our area, we have instances of CMs who've done settling-in visits for lo's before contracts are signed, then they never see the parents again. Some parents have been abusing the visits as if they were trial-runs or, we suspect, to have an hour or 2 of free childcare whilst they go shopping or to the hair salon. :mad:

emz31
24-11-2014, 12:47 PM
I have this parent who wants to out her lo with me for mornings.she keeps mentioning settling in visits and when can I start them,her lo is with another childminder at the min but she saying she's charging her full fee for the mornings as she says she could be filling that space with a full timer.iv told her I can't do settling in visits until I receive my certificate and pli.so she came back with but we can still have a visit so I basically said yes as long as your with your little one then by all means. Thing she just wants everything for nothing lol xx

bunyip
24-11-2014, 02:07 PM
I have this parent who wants to out her lo with me for mornings.she keeps mentioning settling in visits and when can I start them,her lo is with another childminder at the min but she saying she's charging her full fee for the mornings as she says she could be filling that space with a full timer.iv told her I can't do settling in visits until I receive my certificate and pli.so she came back with but we can still have a visit so I basically said yes as long as your with your little one then by all means. Thing she just wants everything for nothing lol xx

When you say the other CM is "...charging her full fee for the mornings..." I'm reading that to mean she's being charged for the full day, yes?

I've a considerable degree of sympathy for the mum in that respect. Like a lot of parents in that situation she probably feels she is being taken advantage of. However, that gives her no right to take advantage of you. There's a strong possibility she wants to switch CMs asap to one (ie. you) with a fairer fee structure, but don't let her rush you into more than you're comfortable with.

If it is really about helping the child to settle in (and you're happy to have her) then mum will be sufficiently committed to give up her own time, as you would be doing, to have visits where she stays with the lo for the duration. When you have your certificate, maybe mum ought to be prepared to pay for the settling in visits you can then offer without mum being there. I'm on mum's side when it comes to not wanting to pay the other CM a full day for a morning's care, but the corollary to that is that she should not be expecting you to work the settling in visits for free. Whether or not she wants to have it both ways may well prove the surest indicator of whether this is about genuinely settling her child or just a money-saving exercise.

Either way, you need to make it absolutely clear to mum what you are/aren't prepared to do before you have your certificate.

emz31
24-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Yeah full day.after the last conversation I haven't heard from her.she needs to understand that my hands are tied in terms of having her child until I have my certificate and my PLI. But I also won't be a walk over either. Xx

emz31
30-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Just wondering regarding this woman who i spoke about previously...she asked me would she be guaranteed a place formher lo..I already have one lo lined up to start when my certificate comes...should I say she needs to pay a retainer fee to secure her place? Don't feel comfortable taking her on to be honest.

moggy
30-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Just wondering regarding this woman who i spoke about previously...she asked me would she be guaranteed a place formher lo..I already have one lo lined up to start when my certificate comes...should I say she needs to pay a retainer fee to secure her place? Don't feel comfortable taking her on to be honest.

Firstly, go with gut instinct every time- if this family do not feel 'right' with you then politely say no thank you or say you no longer have a space etc. You need to be able to work closely with them, feel comfortable discussing money and their child- the two most sensitive subjects! It is easier to say no now then try to give notice of things go wrong later on.

If someone wants to secure a place with me and I am happy to keep the place open for them (so 1-3 mths in advance approx) I need the following to secure the place: signed contracts, signed policies and permissions and a deposit equal to 4 weeks fees (deducted against first month's fees). Until I have all those things the place is NOT theirs. Without registration, though, you can not sign contracts (Pacey contracts require Ofsted Reg number).

I think you might be best waiting until you have your certificate and maybe this family will go elsewhere, which may be for the better. Work will come along, no need to jump on the first enquiry. Concentrate on settling your other new mindee, get into the new CM routine and work will come- it pays to be picky and only take on clients you actually like and think you can get on with.

emz31
15-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Well the person I was talking about was only on temp contract at work so won't be taking her lo on anymore.