PDA

View Full Version : Very near to quitting

Ripeberry
23-11-2014, 11:58 PM
So at 11pm I get an e-mail to say that one child I have for 17 hrs a week will be going to a pre-school in January. The dad recently changed jobs and the pre-school is over 20 miles away so I can't take her. I know that the only other mindee I have will be going to pre-school after Easter. Parents trying to keep costs down. Well by then I'll tell them that I'm not hanging around for a few hours a week. They'll have to find something else!
Cleaning and evening jobs have never looked so tempting!

shortstuff
24-11-2014, 05:42 AM
Shocking behaviour. Hope you are ok.

Tealady
24-11-2014, 08:06 AM
That's the unfortunate thing about this job. From having four part timers that altogether brought in a reasonable income in September to being down to one for 6hrs a week.

However I get so cross when parents tell you these things by pinging you an email late at night. I've had it a few times now. I'm really not a scary person nor am I likely to have an emotional breakdown when told, so why it can't be done face to face I never know.

Hope something comes along soon for you.

chris goodyear
24-11-2014, 08:14 AM
After a few years of being quiet and this time last year really struggling to find enough work I now am nearly full to bursting!. Last week I had 2 enquiries in half an hour, 2 mums visiting and one starts on Wednesday and another visiting this Friday! it's gone mad. My daughter is my assistant full time so we have to earn enough for two and it's been tough for a while but now couldn't be better so if you really want to carry on childminding take heart and I'm sure it will change for the better, but only you when the time is right to quit. I've been minding for over 25 years and it's been up and down all the time.

hectors house
24-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I think I would have to point out to these parents who think that Nursery is a cheap option that they are far stricter on excluding for illnesses, often won't give medicines like Calpol or cough medicine, charge late fees and charge all year round whether child attends or not. Also children don't get the same "real world" experiences being cooped up all day in one place instead of having trips out into the local environment.

Hope someone who appreciates you comes along soon. :thumbsup:

Mouse
24-11-2014, 09:10 AM
This will be me next September. I'll have 3 definitely leaving to go to school, 3 possibly leaving to go to pre-school and 1 staying. I'll be having a good think about what hours and days I want to work and will only take on children that fit in with that. I've been so busy for so long that it'll be nice to be able to cut down a bit :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
24-11-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm not advertising any of the spaces as I was going to quit in July 2016. It just looks like it may be one year earlier than I had planned. I'm lucky enough that I have a second job that brings in some money, so I'm not in dire straights. I'll just carry on with that (data entry) and supplement it with evening jobs. I just want to get my house back and not have to worry about Ofsted!

smurfette
24-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm not advertising any of the spaces as I was going to quit in July 2016. It just looks like it may be one year earlier than I had planned. I'm lucky enough that I have a second job that brings in some money, so I'm not in dire straights. I'll just carry on with that (data entry) and supplement it with evening jobs. I just want to get my house back and not have to worry about Ofsted!

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise
Then Hun, probably nothing worse than having them leave in dribs and drabs and earning only a tiny amount xx

Hope it all works out for you, shocking the way they gave notice I have had that too (while on holidays!) don't know why people can't talk face to face I would!

FloraDora
24-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Because I can offer funding and my background my LO's will be staying with me until they go to school, I am starting to refer to my setting as a home base nursery as I offer the same education, if not more, as a school nursery. this seems to be attracting interest though I do not want to expand my numbers currently, it could be a way forward to attract clients.

The funding is significantly less than my hourly rate but the extra hours I do at a higher rate make up for this. Although I am in the position of this being my third income.

Personally I think the inconvenience of having a few toys around and a bookshelf full of Mark making more than makes up for having to work for someone else, commute to my place of work, the freedom of being able to walk out to various parts of the nature reserve whenever I like ( I have lived next door to it for24 years and used to just be able to visit on high days and holidays), know that you are making a difference to a family, be in for deliveries and work men and this morning, usually a day off the Little one has helped me dust all the surfaces and we have laughed and chatted such a lot and learned so much, counting, talking about the shapes and colours of the ornaments, remembering where everything goes on the mantleshelf etc...
Having spent a life time as a public servant it is a refreshing change to do what I want. OfSTED is looking over my shoulder, but as long as I keep up to date, and this forum is fantastic for that, Then I feel I am ready to discuss and show off my work with them.
Think carefully - the grass isn't always greener.....

KateA
24-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I am very close to quitting too after year of being registered only have one client one day a week. I advertise all over and get plently of enquiries but don't seem to get the follow up can we meet up and then get the client. Sometimes this is because I can't offer hours they want one was 4am start! made me wonder what job the mum had.

tess1981
24-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I am very close to quitting too after year of being registered only have one client one day a week. I advertise all over and get plently of enquiries but don't seem to get the follow up can we meet up and then get the client. Sometimes this is because I can't offer hours they want one was 4am start! made me wonder what job the mum had.

4am start..... that's the middle of the night. Can't see many willing go start at that time that would need to be an over night at the least poor wee child

FloraDora
24-11-2014, 02:14 PM

You do feel for these LO's - this family definately needs a nanny - no wonder you were not available.
Increasingly I hear of parents asking for unsociable hours and wonder if this is the way forward for childminders- to fill those gaps for families wanting more than nurseries can offer.

But 4 am isn't good for the child or the childminder!

Ripeberry
24-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Because I can offer funding and my background my LO's will be staying with me until they go to school, I am starting to refer to my setting as a home base nursery as I offer the same education, if not more, as a school nursery. this seems to be attracting interest though I do not want to expand my numbers currently, it could be a way forward to attract clients.

The funding is significantly less than my hourly rate but the extra hours I do at a higher rate make up for this. Although I am in the position of this being my third income.

Personally I think the inconvenience of having a few toys around and a bookshelf full of Mark making more than makes up for having to work for someone else, commute to my place of work, the freedom of being able to walk out to various parts of the nature reserve whenever I like ( I have lived next door to it for24 years and used to just be able to visit on high days and holidays), know that you are making a difference to a family, be in for deliveries and work men and this morning, usually a day off the Little one has helped me dust all the surfaces and we have laughed and chatted such a lot and learned so much, counting, talking about the shapes and colours of the ornaments, remembering where everything goes on the mantleshelf etc...
Having spent a life time as a public servant it is a refreshing change to do what I want. OfSTED is looking over my shoulder, but as long as I keep up to date, and this forum is fantastic for that, Then I feel I am ready to discuss and show off my work with them.
Think carefully - the grass isn't always greener.....

I know what you mean, but I've been doing this for just over five years. It's time to turn a new page. And anyway, my own kids need me more now that they are becoming teenagers. It is nice working for yourself, but there are plenty of other lines of work where you can be boss :thumbsup: