PDA

View Full Version : wreck it ralph

yummyripples
20-11-2014, 04:52 PM
I mind an 18 month old boy who has a nickname of wreck it Ralph for very good reasons.
He is absolutely lovely but I am struggling to get him to engage with anything.
He likes to do his own thing. He climbs on everything possible, if there is a gap or a door open he needs to try to get through it. He pushes, he smacks (other children, himself and even fresh air). He throws toys (& everything), wants everything that's not his - if I give him and another child exactly the same thing he throws his on the floor and wants what the other child has.
I am addressing these issues best I can and I do adore him.
What I want help with is what can I do to engage him. I don't want to just leave him to his own devices - I want to chanel his learning and use his type of learning in an activity. I gave them plastic cups the other day and whilst the other children stacked them, put them inside each other and knocked them down - he squashed them. I understand that it must be the way he learns.
We do lego and brick building. If we paint he doesn't want the painting tools - he just wants to smear paint everywhere. He does the same with messy play. We have been in the sandpit today and he just wants to snatch everyone elses things.
I am out of ideas - can anyone help?

smurfette
22-11-2014, 10:29 PM
How about ball games? I have a little fella a bit the same.. He is 2 and a half now. I find he just has lots of energy and needs a good run in the morning then he is more settled

yummyripples
27-11-2014, 11:52 PM
How about ball games? I have a little fella a bit the same.. He is 2 and a half now. I find he just has lots of energy and needs a good run in the morning then he is more settled

Thanks x
We play football which he enjoys and we go outside as much as possible - he loves it and it really does help.
Trouble starts when we come in mostly but we can't stay out all the time.
I spoke to one of the staff at the children's centre who said he will grow out of it and just keep doing what I am doing x