PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very happy with myself at last

toddlers896
18-11-2014, 03:01 PM
I have finally cut back on my numbers and it feels like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders already.
I have one going to preschool in January and one is leaving end of December. I have had a massive clear out of toys
that never get played with and I have bought a lovely little childs sofa. As of January and after dropping a child to school I will be
off every Wednesday and Thursday. On these days I will be able to do any childminding work during these hours and my husband will
finally get his wife back. I wont be the stroppy git anymore that I have turned into and my home will be more relaxed and tidy. if the kids want to sit
on the sofa and watch frozen or read a book then that is what they will get to do. Ime not worried about Ofsted anymore - ime a home from home childminder
that gives the children lots of learning opportunities at home and through different outings and if they don't like how I run my setting then tuff. I will be down by £500 per month but ive decided that money cant be priority in this job - having too many kids is no fun for them or me. :clapping::clapping:
just thought ide share with you if you read as ime so excited for January x

Mouse
18-11-2014, 03:27 PM
If that's how good you feel then you know it was the right decision to cut down on your workload :thumbsup:

A while ago I cut down to working 4 days a week. Having that one day free makes such a difference. I set aside one Friday a month to catch up on any paperwork, then the other 3 Fridays are all mine :D

toddlers896
18-11-2014, 04:13 PM
If that's how good you feel then you know it was the right decision to cut down on your workload :thumbsup:

A while ago I cut down to working 4 days a week. Having that one day free makes such a difference. I set aside one Friday a month to catch up on any paperwork, then the other 3 Fridays are all mine :D

More and more childminders are doing this mouse. A few of my friends do. this is my plan from September next year as my preschool goes full time so I will then do Monday to Thursday. Working five days in this job doesn't give us time to wipe our bums, let alone everything else we have to do. Looking forward to joining the four day a week club:p

mama2three
18-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Oh I wish! I cant afford not to fill all my spaces unfortunately. I find that many of those who say money isn't everything have got enough! When Im told money cant buy you happiness I agree , but point out that not having money cause far more people to be deeply unhappy! a drop of £500 a month would be the difference in paying or not paying the mortgage to many.
But Toddlers im very pleased that you've found the balance that works for you x

Snowwhite
18-11-2014, 05:27 PM
You know what, for so long my business was quiet and although i quite liked the quieter times it wasn't good for my bank account! now i am finally busier again and to the point where i said yes to anything and being at different nursery schools i am realising that i cannot cope with being so busy again and find it tricky to balance home life and paperwork. It's great that my wages are back on track but i find i too am a bit moody at times with my home life as too busy in the daytime and hubby doesn't help that much in the evenings! If i told him i would like a day off a week he would prob tell me not to seeing as it took so long to get busy again. So i think i may not tell him if i decide to drop a day when i can,and make out no one needs me on that day! Thinking about it hundreds of women/mums work part time and then have time for the other stuff, so why can't we?? Working from home does not mean we can get our housework done, cleaning or paperwork, unless a child is napping,but by then i just want to enjoy a peaceful hour or so and not crack on with other jobs!

toddlers896
18-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Oh I wish! I cant afford not to fill all my spaces unfortunately. I find that many of those who say money isn't everything have got enough! When Im told money cant buy you happiness I agree , but point out that not having money cause far more people to be deeply unhappy! a drop of £500 a month would be the difference in paying or not paying the mortgage to many.
But Toddlers im very pleased that you've found the balance that works for you x

I agree with you completely mama but I started to get greedy. Obviously the more kids we have the more we earn and I am earning a lot more in this job than I did in the office so dropping £500 a month makes me on the same as what I was in the office. I wouldn't want to go any lower but equally having all that extra money didn't make me happy hence the reason I had to reduce my numbers. But yes I do feel sorry for the ones who have to work with as many kids as they can to earn a good living as its a tough job. x

funemnx
18-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Good for you! Looking forward to joining you on Wednesday mornings for a Costa! :clapping::jump for joy::jump for joy:

Lal
18-11-2014, 08:00 PM
As a newbie its really interesting to read this thread. I have decided that I am only working three days a week and that I'm not going to collect more than one or two children from school at the moment.

I'm letting the business build up slowly and am already putting families on my after school waiting list. I have felt guilty saying no to families, but then I see how tired my just 4 yr old dd is after a 9-330 day at preschool and know that it would be too much for her having more than 2 others here.

Reading your posts about changing your work patterns has helped to reassure me that it is ok to ensure you have a balance, and its ok to say no (or not yet!) to families sometimes.

toddlers896
18-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Good for you! Looking forward to joining you on Wednesday mornings for a Costa! :clapping::jump for joy::jump for joy:

Sounds like a very very good idea to me. Two good choices made this week ha ha xx

toddlers896
18-11-2014, 09:17 PM
As a newbie its really interesting to read this thread. I have decided that I am only working three days a week and that I'm not going to collect more than one or two children from school at the moment.

I'm letting the business build up slowly and am already putting families on my after school waiting list. I have felt guilty saying no to families, but then I see how tired my just 4 yr old dd is after a 9-330 day at preschool and know that it would be too much for her having more than 2 others here.

Reading your posts about changing your work patterns has helped to reassure me that it is ok to ensure you have a balance, and its ok to say no (or not yet!) to families sometimes.

Lal it sounds like you have a good plan worked out. That was my first mistake when I started a couple of years ago - I said yes to anything that walked through my door. I always said I would only do early years and I took on school drop off that turned up at 645 (what a nightmare). Then it felt to me like I had the naughtiest children ever (I probably didn't) but it is all so overwhelming when you first start and as well as reading forums and trying to keep up with the Jones it all gets on top of you. I only have myself to blame but I have finally realised that you have to take it one step at a time until you get a bit of experience behind you (I had none having no kids). Good luck Hun, ime sure you will do a fab job x

lisbet
18-11-2014, 10:21 PM
I too feel very lucky that I am heading towards a good work-life balance. Since September I've dropped one day a week for studying, but come January I will drop another one so am hoping to have 3 days CMing, 2 days studying and weekends with my family! (and inevitable housework :rolleyes:)

I feel really guilty about dropping down to 3 days a week, even though it is still 30hrs work. I am a lightweight! :blush: I take my hat off to CMs who work 50+hrs a week all year round. :cheerleader:

alex__17
18-11-2014, 10:24 PM
Lal I also started out like that, only wanted mon-wed, but had a little after schooler mon-thurs but still had all thurs with my then 18 month old.

I now also work the thurs, but was very choosy about who I took on, it had to be children that would enhance the day for my son rather than make it miserable if that makes sense! In fact after saying yes to anyone as I was so worried about filling spaces, when I gave notice to a family who made me and my son miserable it wAs such a weight off, and I waited a few months to fill the space until a family came along that I felt fitted in! I also have taken on more after schoolers, but only once my son was more settled into it all.

I'm working mon-thurs now, and although its a day extra than my original plan I do like the extra money and have great kids and families which makes it worth the extra hours and paperwork. I also changed from finishing at 6 to finishing at 530 which I feel makes all the difference.

Having Fridays off is so nice, I get to spend the whole day with my son and do whatever we want, no getting up for school run etc, would never give up my fri!!

Simona
19-11-2014, 09:20 AM
I have finally cut back on my numbers and it feels like a massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders already.
I have one going to preschool in January and one is leaving end of December. I have had a massive clear out of toys
that never get played with and I have bought a lovely little childs sofa. As of January and after dropping a child to school I will be
off every Wednesday and Thursday. On these days I will be able to do any childminding work during these hours and my husband will
finally get his wife back. I wont be the stroppy git anymore that I have turned into and my home will be more relaxed and tidy. if the kids want to sit
on the sofa and watch frozen or read a book then that is what they will get to do. Ime not worried about Ofsted anymore - ime a home from home childminder
that gives the children lots of learning opportunities at home and through different outings and if they don't like how I run my setting then tuff. I will be down by £500 per month but ive decided that money cant be priority in this job - having too many kids is no fun for them or me. :clapping::clapping:
just thought ide share with you if you read as ime so excited for January x

How wonderful to hear another CM who has taken stock and decided to do what is best for her and not for those who keep piling the pressure on us

Enjoy every minute of it...there is life alongside childminding...it's a big world out there

All the best to you

hectors house
19-11-2014, 09:36 AM
I think we all want to be so reliable for parents that we forget the saying "You should work to live, not live to work"! I have worked my socks off to get my Outstanding grade but at what price - the Thursday's I used to have off to do things for myself (hair cuts, occasional massages or nails done, meeting up with friends) have now vanished into paperwork or training days - I hope I have still got some friends left somewhere out there :(

Simona
19-11-2014, 09:45 AM
I think we all want to be so reliable for parents that we forget the saying "You should work to live, not live to work"! I have worked my socks off to get my Outstanding grade but at what price - the Thursday's I used to have off to do things for myself (hair cuts, occasional massages or nails done, meeting up with friends) have now vanished into paperwork or training days - I hope I have still got some friends left somewhere out there :(

Absolutely HH...we want to be reliable for parents and Cms generally are... but...we also want parents to be reliable and allow us to manage our small business by understanding we all have a life outside work...

Not too sure I like the sound of all that paperwork you had to do on your day off...mmm:(

loocyloo
19-11-2014, 10:53 AM
I only work 4 days ... They are busy but I'm happy with it, and actually my holidays are quieter.

But ... I'm really torn ... a colleague of dh has asked if I have space on the one day I do have a space ... I have said yes and arranged to see parent, but I was looking forward to less children that day and hopefully dropping that day in the holidays ... I am already up to 9 EY come Jan ... I am arguing with myself about saying sorry ... things have changed and I can't offer the space before meeting parent or meeting parent finding out if termtime only and then deciding. I have a feeling it will only be for a year or so ... dilemma!

toddlers896
20-11-2014, 12:29 PM
How wonderful to hear another CM who has taken stock and decided to do what is best for her and not for those who keep piling the pressure on us

Enjoy every minute of it...there is life alongside childminding...it's a big world out there

All the best to you

Thank you Simona. I couldn't have worded it better myself and it's such a shame that it's taken me nearly three years to realise that their is life along side childminding. X

toddlers896
20-11-2014, 12:37 PM
I only work 4 days ... They are busy but I'm happy with it, and actually my holidays are quieter.

But ... I'm really torn ... a colleague of dh has asked if I have space on the one day I do have a space ... I have said yes and arranged to see parent, but I was looking forward to less children that day and hopefully dropping that day in the holidays ... I am already up to 9 EY come Jan ... I am arguing with myself about saying sorry ... things have changed and I can't offer the space before meeting parent or meeting parent finding out if termtime only and then deciding. I have a feeling it will only be for a year or so ... dilemma!

That's sounds great loocyloo four busy days and one off. This is definitely my future plans.
If you are really happy with your current routine I wouldn't change it. if I question anything I have noticed that deep down I know it's not right and end up making a big mistake and regret it. Good luck whatever you decide x

loocyloo
20-11-2014, 12:56 PM
That's sounds great loocyloo four busy days and one off. This is definitely my future plans.
If you are really happy with your current routine I wouldn't change it. if I question anything I have noticed that deep down I know it's not right and end up making a big mistake and regret it. Good luck whatever you decide x

Thanks ... I've decided I'm going to tell this parent I can't do it. And feel much more relaxed!

smurfette
20-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Thanks ... I've decided I'm going to tell this parent I can't do it. And feel much more relaxed!dont give your day off for one child.. I nearly did it but I knew if i did I wouldn't feel it was worth working just for one (hourly rate too low and aren't they harder work on their own than with company!) and would end up filling the rest of
The day

loocyloo
20-11-2014, 05:19 PM
dont give your day off for one child.. I nearly did it but I knew if i did I wouldn't feel it was worth working just for one (hourly rate too low and aren't they harder work on their own than with company!) and would end up filling the rest of
The day

:-) it's not my day off (yet!) But I am slowly heading that way and hope to have it as a day off in the holidays soon! Thanks xx

smurfette
20-11-2014, 08:35 PM
:-) it's not my day off (yet!) But I am slowly heading that way and hope to have it as a day off in the holidays soon! Thanks xx

I faffed around for ages before I actually managed to get my day off.. Kept thinking it would only be a few months before I got it and it wouldn't make any difference lol! I found uou have to plan it and be determined .. Keep going it's worth it.