PDA

View Full Version : SEPARATE FLAT, STAFF, REGISTRATION ETC. HELP PLEASE!

paulaxo
15-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Hello friends,

my name is Paula and I'm new to the forum.

I've been working as a daily nanny for a few years now, but I've started looking into childminding instead, especially after bumping into my old friend, who told me more about it - unfortunately, not as much as I'd like to know!

First of all, I live in a small one-bed and can't move out, and I thought of renting a big (very big) studio flat just for childminding purposes. Of course I'd agree with the landlord beforehand and warn him of my intentions. Will OSTED accept that? The whole studio would be customized to suit the children's needs, the play-room, the toilet etc. I guess they should accept that, am I wrong?

Secondly, I'm going to register as a childminder, but was thinking of registering my mum too, so I can have some time off on Fridays (I'm studying) and I'm aware that a childminding assistant can only be alone with the children for a maximum of 2 hours per day, so that's not an option. Can two, or more childminders be registered to care for children in one place, in my case - the studio?

Lastly, because I'd need to rent out separate premises, can anyone please advise me on the realistic time of the registration process? Renting would cost me a lot of money, so I'd like to know how long I'd have to rent out for, so that OFSTED has enough time to come round, have a look and give a decision. I'd like to open the childminding service in September 2015.

I'm hoping that someone can help me out with this. I've been trying to call OFSTED, but that seems impossible. You, childminding friends, are my only hope!

Many thanks in advance,
Paula

tulip0803
15-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Hello friends,

my name is Paula and I'm new to the forum.

I've been working as a daily nanny for a few years now, but I've started looking into childminding instead, especially after bumping into my old friend, who told me more about it - unfortunately, not as much as I'd like to know!

First of all, I live in a small one-bed and can't move out, and I thought of renting a big (very big) studio flat just for childminding purposes. Of course I'd agree with the landlord beforehand and warn him of my intentions. Will OSTED accept that? The whole studio would be customized to suit the children's needs, the play-room, the toilet etc. I guess they should accept that, am I wrong? You may find that you have to register as childcare on non domestic premises rather than childminding. Childminding is care in someone's home - which your 2nd flat won't be as you will not be living there. You may also find yourself liable for planning, business rates, payment for non domestic waste collection which your landlord may not be happy with as planning would possibly mean change of use from domestic to business premises. Ofsted | Become a childminder agency, childcare provider or childminder (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/early-years-and-childcare/become-childminder-agency-childcare-provider-or-childminder)

Secondly, I'm going to register as a childminder, but was thinking of registering my mum too, so I can have some time off on Fridays (I'm studying) and I'm aware that a childminding assistant can only be alone with the children for a maximum of 2 hours per day, so that's not an option. Can two, or more childminders be registered to care for children in one place, in my case - the studio? Yes you can have 2 or more childminders working together but will have to keep within ratios if one of you is not working. Depending on the size of the flat their may be restrictions on numbers of children that you can care for at one time. You may have to do 2 sets of contracts if your Mum is going to provide sole care on fridays depending on set-up talk to OFSTED inspector on registration visit to clarify

Lastly, because I'd need to rent out separate premises, can anyone please advise me on the realistic time of the registration process? Renting would cost me a lot of money, so I'd like to know how long I'd have to rent out for, so that OFSTED has enough time to come round, have a look and give a decision. I'd like to open the childminding service in September 2015. It can take anything from 3-12 months to register, seems to be on the longer side now. You will both need to do the childminding reg course, 12 hour paediatric first aid and child protection. Food hygiene is good too. DBS checks, medical checks before you even apply to OFSTED. Then they will do Social service checks before coming out to inspect. It is not a quick process. You can also now register with a childminding agency but no-one has much information about these and what they will entail/timescales/costs etc

I'm hoping that someone can help me out with this. I've been trying to call OFSTED, but that seems impossible. You, childminding friends, are my only hope!

Many thanks in advance,
Paula

Hello and welcome and good luck:)