PDA

View Full Version : How much time outside each day?

mumofone
15-11-2014, 10:02 AM
I Know ofsted like children to get out each day but does anyone know how much time they say is best? Thank you

clareelizabeth1
15-11-2014, 10:22 AM
No idea. We often do seven or so hours in nice weather. When it was really cold they all asked to come in after 20 minutes but I guess on a normal day we will spend three to four hours outside. I think it's up to you how much time you spend I like our doors so we spend time out doors but if I didn't like outdoors we might only spend an hour a day outside. I know when I worked in a nursey they only got 15 minutes outside in the morning then the older group might be lucky and allowed to go for another 15 minutes in the afternoon and OFSTED were happy with that.

Simona
15-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I Know ofsted like children to get out each day but does anyone know how much time they say is best? Thank you

There is no requirement from Ofsted on this
Nurseries have gardens and some do take children on trips ...they may have to limit outdoor activities if they have special restrictions by their LA
CMs are out and about in the community every day, go to parks, do shopping, collect from school

It would be part of your planning considering your routine and, as long as the garden is available to children that is perfectly acceptable

munch149
15-11-2014, 10:36 AM
I go to a lot of groups and a lot of these have free flow to the outdoors so most days the children have the choice whether to be out of not and the groups are normally about 2 hours. On a Monday we do a forest school group. Must admit tho when I'm at home and in our garden they might not be out very long in colder weather particularly if it's windy because I hate it yet in the summer we might be out most of the day

moggy
15-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Ofsted do not look for or measure 'length of time' outdoors per day. They want to see opportunities to go outdoors- so everyday planned outdoor time (garden, park, beach, woods etc). Quality time too- they look for what you have in garden, resources, covering all Areas of Learning, open-ended resources, how you plan for outdoors etc just like indoors. And opportunities for children to initiate going outside and how you can facilitate that- wellies by the back door, waterproofs at the ready etc.

We often spend 1.5-2 hours in the woods on a morning any time of year. If it is pouring with rain a 20 min puddle-splashing session up the road might be all the children want and that is fine. In the summer we might hardly come indoors, all meals are outdoors.