PDA

View Full Version : Taking holiday?

Georgiepoo
14-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I'm in my first year of childminding and looking to book a days holiday that will only effect one of my mindees. Im wondering how to go about-should I put it in writing or just let mum know???

Kiddleywinks
15-11-2014, 07:45 AM
I let parents know verbally, and then follow it up by adding it to the list of holiday dates on the bottom of my invoices :thumbsup:

bunyip
15-11-2014, 10:22 AM
I let parents know verbally, and then follow it up by adding it to the list of holiday dates on the bottom of my invoices :thumbsup:

Do this.

If you only say it, they will instantly forget all about it, then claim it is your fault you didn't tell them. :(

No matter how far ahead I tell parents, I also remind them about 4 weeks ahead of the actual holiday dates. At this point, they will invariably look puzzled and protest that I didn't tell them. I then tell them to check the invoices/newsletters/child's diary and everywhere else the information has been displayed for doG knows how long. :doh:

Kiddleywinks
15-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Do this.

If you only say it, they will instantly forget all about it, then claim it is your fault you didn't tell them. :(

No matter how far ahead I tell parents, I also remind them about 4 weeks ahead of the actual holiday dates. At this point, they will invariably look puzzled and protest that I didn't tell them. I then tell them to check the invoices/newsletters/child's diary and everywhere else the information has been displayed for doG knows how long. :doh:

Funny isn't it how they never forget their holiday period and always forget ours lol

I do give my holiday dates out in January and it's pretty much the same time each year, Easter, Summer and Christmas, with an additional 5 days maybe throughout the year (training days mostly)
I have one parent that has more holidays than a holiday shop, so I know she scans my January dates immediately, then books her holidays to coincide with them, then books additional breaks away (childless ones) throughout the rest of the year. Not a problem for me, lucky to get away so often and if I had the time and money I'd do the same lol.
Does get a little exasperating though, when I'm asked 1, 2 or 3 days before my time off, if I can actually work on x day or that one as she just HAS to work and just CAN'T take any more time off to cover me!

I've always given names and numbers of back up minders with my holiday dates that are available to provide cover (I know because I checked it was ok to give parents their details first!)
I've even, in the past, not anymore, called the back up minders to confirm they can cover and given parent their fee advice, whilst stood on the doorstep, only to find out that parent has a/ never contacted them, or b/ contacted them but don't want to pay their rate!

My answer now is , oh dear, No I can't, what a shame, hope you get something sorted, see you when I'm back :thumbsup:

Simona
15-11-2014, 11:55 AM
It will depend on your contract...how much notice you and parents have agreed to give each other for holidays

Some holidays are planned well in advance but what if you need an day off for unforeseen circumstances?

As long as the parents know your procedure and you follow it by giving the agreed notice they would have nothing to complain about
What would they do if their CM became ill and couldn't work? they need back up cover as much as we do.

tulip0803
15-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Even verbally telling, putting in writing, in daily diary, on invoices, texted and verbally reminding doesn't work for some parents. 2 sets accidently booked the week after my holiday off this year despite all of the above!:panic: I gave them 8 months notice!

Georgiepoo
15-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks!

Think adding them to the invoices each month is a great idea-I will do this.

My partner runs his own very demanding business so we can't book holidays that far in advance. I have stated I will give a minimum of 2 weeks notice for any holiday days.

rickysmiths
16-11-2014, 12:37 AM
I try to decide my holiday dates by the end of Jan beginning of Feb. I do a list of them for each parent stating the dates and number of days. As I give the parents their letter I get them to sign confirm they have received the letter. Then they can't say they haven't been told or when they were told. I then remind them verbally about 6 weeks away from the holiday.

I keep a copy of the letter and signed sheet in their folder with their Contracts etc.

Ripeberry
16-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Make sure you take a holiday! Too many CMs end up working all year because some parents kick up a fuss! :censored:

loocyloo
16-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Make sure you take a holiday! Too many CMs end up working all year because some parents kick up a fuss! :censored:

I agree, even if your partner runs a demanding business, book a couple of long weekends away at the very least, taking an extra day or two and have time to recharge your batteries! you work to live, not live to work!

bunyip
16-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks!

Think adding them to the invoices each month is a great idea-I will do this.

My partner runs his own very demanding business so we can't book holidays that far in advance. I have stated I will give a minimum of 2 weeks notice for any holiday days.

Are you finding this works out ok with your clients?

I find most parents who are in paid employment tell me they need a minimum of 4 weeks to apply for time off. Do they understand your partner's position, or do they ask why he can't choose his own time off more easily cos he's his own boss?

(Btw, I'm asking cos I'm curious; not criticising.)

I'd be wary of parents simply nodding and OK-ing this when they visit/sign contracts, and be sure to really drive home the point and make sure they understand that it really is how things will be. If childcare places are in short supply in an area, parents will often agree to a lot of things to secure a place: things which then lead to tensions and problems when the reality of the situation actually happens. I find this, even though I'm far more relaxed/lenient about holidays/absences than the majority of local settings.

Parents should always have a 'Plan B' in case a CM is taken ill or has a genuine emergency forcing us to close. I think this is even more important if you can only give 2 weeks notice of holiday closures.