PDA

View Full Version : Why do parent not fill on there profile on childcare.co.UK?

KateA
14-11-2014, 05:18 PM
hi, I am getting more and more parents view me but have not filled out there profile on childcare.co.UK website doors anyone know why this is not an requirement ? I find really frustrating not knowing what it is they are looking for and if its any point contacting them. So have made the decision I will not bed contacting any family who can't be bothered to fill it out.

Karen1
14-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Completely agree. I have started to contact some no profiles bit all comw back with days and tomes i cant do or something random. Would save everyone time and enwrgy if few notes put on!

bunyip
14-11-2014, 08:02 PM
I guess there are a lot of parents just 'testing the waters'. I also wonder how many are prospective/pre-reg CMs having a look at local rates, etc. ?

Tbh, there are a lot of completed profiles which might as well not have been written. Top of my list are the ones wanting "school collection" without troubling to mention which school. Next are those which state the obvious, "caring, reliable CM wanted for my lovely daughter. Must have childcare experience, qualifications and first-aid training" etc. I'm really waiting for someone to say, "Completely unreliable and untrustworthy King Herod type wanted with no training, insurance or previous experience cos I don't really like my child much anyway." :p :rolleyes:

But seriously, it's an excellent site and probably suffers fewer problems than the childcare search throws up by any other means. I've very grateful for all the clients Richard's endeavours have brought my way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sarah707
14-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Whatever parents do - or do not do - it's important that you make the most of your profile!!

The better your profile the more likely they are to contact you and ask you about vacancies. There are some free tips here :D

https://www.childcare.co.uk/information/writing-your-profile

Richard
15-11-2014, 09:05 AM
We already do lots of things to encourage members to complete their profiles such as reminding them when they login and sending them emails explaining the advantages of having a profile.

Unfortunately a small minority of parents just don't want to have a public profile and instead prefer to search for, and contact, childcare providers that interest them without receiving unsolicited messages from childcare providers.

We are looking at ways to further encourage members to complete their profiles.

Even if a parent profile isn't complete with all their requirements, it's always worth sending them a quick message to introduce yourself.

KateA
17-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Thank you for feed back Richard x

Mummits
17-11-2014, 12:17 PM
I've recently answered an ad on Childcare.co.uk from someone saying they wanted a place one day a week. I said I could offer any day but Friday. They said no thank you we only want Friday. I resisted the urge to say well why didn't you say that! But I did notice later that they have updated their profile to say FRIDAYS in big letters. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has wasted time replying. Might it be a good idea to have parents say which days/hours they need (perhaps in a grid like on *********)? It does make it easier to see at a glance which requirements match your spaces.

jackie 7
17-11-2014, 02:48 PM
I have just sent several messages to blank profiles. I often check them out but not log on so I decide which ones are worth sending messages to.

mama2three
17-11-2014, 03:01 PM
We already do lots of things to encourage members to complete their profiles such as reminding them when they login and sending them emails explaining the advantages of having a profile.

Unfortunately a small minority of parents just don't want to have a public profile and instead prefer to search for, and contact, childcare providers that interest them without receiving unsolicited messages from childcare providers.

We are looking at ways to further encourage members to complete their profiles.

Even if a parent profile isn't complete with all their requirements, it's always worth sending them a quick message to introduce yourself.

But surely If the applied any logic they would see that they will get far more unsolicited and wasted replies if they don't tell us their requirements!! If I know a parent wants a service I cant offer I don't reply. if they don't say what they need I will message them to see if I can help!

bunyip
17-11-2014, 06:28 PM
But surely If the applied any logic they would see that they will get far more unsolicited and wasted replies if they don't tell us their requirements!! If I know a parent wants a service I cant offer I don't reply. if they don't say what they need I will message them to see if I can help!

Maybe they just daren't tell us any more about the child:D

.........................or about themselves. ;)

Mummits
17-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Some of the people who do complete a profile would maybe do better to maintain an air of mystery. There is quite a lot of unintended humour, and others who you think "please don't ring" when they view your profile!

loocyloo
17-11-2014, 10:02 PM
There is a local parent who views my profile almost daily ... She has never contacted me and as she has listed her requirements ... none of which are anything I can do I haven't contacted her! Maybe she's hoping that suddenly one day my profile will say I'm a nanny looking for a live in position!

bunyip
18-11-2014, 10:31 AM
I love the ones who want a nanny/childminder.

Contact with these folk usually reveals they want a nanny, but they only want to pay for a childminder. ;)

Mummits
18-11-2014, 11:47 AM
I like the ones who want a nanny/au pair/childminder/babysitter to look after 6 week old twins, take 3 and 4 year olds to pre school and six and seven year olds to different schools, make the dinner, clean the house, walk the dog, fully flexible on days and pay £3.50 an hour. Okay I exaggerate, but only slightly.

Wiggle Wiggle
18-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I find the site very good and useful and have received families from there. Yes, it is a nuisance when they do not put up their profile needs as can be a waste of time for all concerned. However, it is even worse when you send them a message, and then they do not even bother to read it and then keep searching. For example, one I looked at today - it was two and a half months ago since I sent a message and still not read:(

I think it is a case of for some they think they want childcare although actually do not know what they want and forget we are running a business!

bunyip
18-11-2014, 05:49 PM
I like the ones who want a nanny/au pair/childminder/babysitter to look after 6 week old twins, take 3 and 4 year olds to pre school and six and seven year olds to different schools, make the dinner, clean the house, walk the dog, fully flexible on days and pay £3.50 an hour. Okay I exaggerate, but only slightly.

So they contacted you as well? ;)

You certainly do exaggerate............. in that they never offer anything like as much as £3.50 . :D

Pixie dust
18-11-2014, 06:07 PM
My favourite one at the moment is someone wanting a babysitter/childminder to go to the home but experience not needed as only there to support grandma with the care for 1 child and you will never be left alone with said child. They have viewed my profile :panic:

KateA
19-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Some of the people who do complete a profile would maybe do better to maintain an air of mystery. There is quite a lot of unintended humour, and others who you think "please don't ring" when they view your profile!

I have one of those now from a family who is re looking again about three months since they first poped up on site it states our son is happy when he know someone is with him! makes me worry he is like a minded I gave notice on at begining of year who did not stop crying if I left his side . plus the looks similar to him as well x

Kerry30
19-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I keep getting people view my profile , theirs is blank and where it says number of children it says zero!

Simona
20-11-2014, 09:40 AM
I am not familiar with what parents can put on this particular profile but...personally...the only information that is useful is what I gather when I interview parents on their 1st visit and from the reference they give me for them

Parents can put what they like on their profile...some appear to be confused between a CM and a baby sitter as well?
That won't do.

Anacrusis
20-11-2014, 01:23 PM
I've had a few of these and it's usually because they've just joined the site and their profile is being approved - when I checked again the next day the profile has been there.

bunyip
21-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I am not familiar with what parents can put on this particular profile but...personally...the only information that is useful is what I gather when I interview parents on their 1st visit and from the reference they give me for them

Parents can put what they like on their profile...some appear to be confused between a CM and a baby sitter as well?
That won't do.

I can understand parents being confused about a "childminder" and a "babysitter". Leaving aside the fact that I know some babysitters who are far better with children than some CMs, to many parents it's nothing more than a matter of terminology which seems to matter more to those who are 'in the business' than those who want to use their services.

The ones I really cannot understand are the parents who are advertising for a babysitter (only) but say they must have "relevant qualifications". Would that be a level 3 in babysitting, or the full Babysitting DPhil (Oxon) ?

tulip0803
21-11-2014, 12:23 PM
My favourite local one is still the parent looking for someone (childminder/part-time nanny/babysitter) who can help during early morning, some afternoons, almost every other and some evenings. Also "CRB's are a must as well as 3 references that come from a professional (eg. Someone works for the NHS, Government, Council, Emergency services or military.) British Nationals only as we saw a programme recently of human trafficking and how foreign nationals can easily smuggle kids out of the country. Passport and drivers licence needs to be presented and will be photocopied. THIS IS NO JOKE!" They are still looking after more than a year - keeps being updated with an ever changing age for child as LO gets older.

And the one that needs a childminder for when their children are ill and off school.

rickysmiths
21-11-2014, 01:31 PM
My favourite one at the moment is someone wanting a babysitter/childminder to go to the home but experience not needed as only there to support grandma with the care for 1 child and you will never be left alone with said child. They have viewed my profile :panic:

I saw that one too!!!

Simona
21-11-2014, 01:42 PM
I can understand parents being confused about a "childminder" and a "babysitter". Leaving aside the fact that I know some babysitters who are far better with children than some CMs, to many parents it's nothing more than a matter of terminology which seems to matter more to those who are 'in the business' than those who want to use their services.

The ones I really cannot understand are the parents who are advertising for a babysitter (only) but say they must have "relevant qualifications". Would that be a level 3 in babysitting, or the full Babysitting DPhil (Oxon) ?

Or it could be that some parents are aware that CMs can now wear many hats?
We can work from home or in someone else's house...join a school for wraparound care and such like

One thing I am aware of is that parents are not worried about paying babysitters a lot more than they would a CM...not sure about your area Bunyip but around here babysitters are paid 50% more than CMs receive in funding with all the related regulations, paperwork and forever changing legislations.

bunyip
21-11-2014, 06:05 PM
From what I've seen and heard, babysitters in my area generally want 300%+ of the funded childcare rate. (Tbf, they'll do the hourly rate for up to 3 children at a time.) Plus they frequently expect the parents to provide a taxi home. :eek:

In my day, you did babysitting for a few quid and a raid of the fridge/drinks cabinet/mum's knicker drawer/etc. whilst you got your homework done. :D

bunyip
21-11-2014, 06:14 PM
My favourite local one is still the parent looking for someone (childminder/part-time nanny/babysitter) who can help during early morning, some afternoons, almost every other and some evenings. Also "CRB's are a must as well as 3 references that come from a professional (eg. Someone works for the NHS, Government, Council, Emergency services or military.) British Nationals only as we saw a programme recently of human trafficking and how foreign nationals can easily smuggle kids out of the country. Passport and drivers licence needs to be presented and will be photocopied. THIS IS NO JOKE!" They are still looking after more than a year - keeps being updated with an ever changing age for child as LO gets older.

And the one that needs a childminder for when their children are ill and off school.

I think this, together with many, many parent profiles on childcare.co.uk suggests that a large chunk of the general public divide the childcare industry into:-

nurseries
everybody else.

Fat lot of use asking for references from "professionals". The word was long since rendered meaningless as everyone in any sort of employment, including the teenager working the Saturday night shift at MacDonalds regards themselves as a "professional" these days. The list of suggested "professionals" is helpful though; they're clearly limiting it to 'professions' under regular investigation for safeguarding scandals plus a few trained killers. :p

Can't imagine why they seem to be struggling to find the right person though........... :rolleyes:

smurfette
22-11-2014, 10:23 PM
I did actually have a parent recently who wanted a photocopy of my registration cert and mine and Dhs passport!

KateA
23-11-2014, 08:02 AM
I did actually have a parent recently who wanted a photocopy of my registration cert and mine and Dhs passport!

This is where I would be polity saying sorry no you cant not have a copy, they will always be here for you to see. Does anyone actually give copies of these? Would thought this could leave you open to all sorts of identity theft.

smurfette
23-11-2014, 09:15 AM
This is where I would be polity saying sorry no you cant not have a copy, they will always be here for you to see. Does anyone actually give copies of these? Would thought this could leave you open to all sorts of identity theft.

Exactly! So I didn't give it and actually they were very nice to work with once we got past this! He was a social worker

Simona
23-11-2014, 09:31 AM
I think this, together with many, many parent profiles on childcare.co.uk suggests that a large chunk of the general public divide the childcare industry into:-

nurseries
everybody else.

Fat lot of use asking for references from "professionals". The word was long since rendered meaningless as everyone in any sort of employment, including the teenager working the Saturday night shift at MacDonalds regards themselves as a "professional" these days. The list of suggested "professionals" is helpful though; they're clearly limiting it to 'professions' under regular investigation for safeguarding scandals plus a few trained killers. :p

Can't imagine why they seem to be struggling to find the right person though........... :rolleyes:

Perhaps the place where they advertise should make clear the difference between nurseries, preschools, nannies and CMs before parents place the advert? does it have a separate section or is it all in one?

Are parents really that confused as Wilshaw says that it is a nightmare for them to navigate and find the right sort of childcare ?
I personally do not think so if you listen to mothers' gatherings at Stay and Play sessions I think they are all too aware of the difference.

You are possibly right that references may not be that useful...neither is what parents put on a profile...however...I wonder how many Cms actually ask parents for 'their' references to check their potential as good payers and for general info...my feeling is that a lot of CMs feel they are being interviewed by parents when in fact it is the other way round?

bunyip
24-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Perhaps the place where they advertise should make clear the difference between nurseries, preschools, nannies and CMs before parents place the advert? does it have a separate section or is it all in one?

Are parents really that confused as Wilshaw says that it is a nightmare for them to navigate and find the right sort of childcare ?
I personally do not think so if you listen to mothers' gatherings at Stay and Play sessions I think they are all too aware of the difference.

You are possibly right that references may not be that useful...neither is what parents put on a profile...however...I wonder how many Cms actually ask parents for 'their' references to check their potential as good payers and for general info...my feeling is that a lot of CMs feel they are being interviewed by parents when in fact it is the other way round?

Richard's website is absolutely clear about the differences - have a look for yourself. As with most sites, the most useful stuff can be found via the links at the foot of the homepage. Within 5 seconds the user can be on pages headed "what is a childminder?" or "what makes a good babysitter?" or "what is the difference between a childminder and a nanny?" and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately, in this high-speed modern information age, a lot of people are too busy being 'high speed' and don't take the time to find out the information. In fact, research on webpage design shows that most people think that scrolling to the bottom of a page is way too much of an effort.
:p

But, as you say, there are a lot of parents who do take the time to find out the facts. Remember we're dealing with people and generally speaking, people tend to be a problem to a greater or lesser degree: some will and some won't inform themselves.

TBH, I'm not sure it's Richard's job to filter out the wheat from the chaff in this way. Now if it were my website, the first thing they'd have to do is click on a checkbox confirming they're not a complete idiot. But then that would be "offensive", wouldn't it...............? :rolleyes:

Simona
24-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Richard's website is absolutely clear about the differences - have a look for yourself. As with most sites, the most useful stuff can be found via the links at the foot of the homepage. Within 5 seconds the user can be on pages headed "what is a childminder?" or "what makes a good babysitter?" or "what is the difference between a childminder and a nanny?" and so on and so forth.

Unfortunately, in this high-speed modern information age, a lot of people are too busy being 'high speed' and don't take the time to find out the information. In fact, research on webpage design shows that most people think that scrolling to the bottom of a page is way too much of an effort.
:p

But, as you say, there are a lot of parents who do take the time to find out the facts. Remember we're dealing with people and generally speaking, people tend to be a problem to a greater or lesser degree: some will and some won't inform themselves.

TBH, I'm not sure it's Richard's job to filter out the wheat from the chaff in this way. Now if it were my website, the first thing they'd have to do is click on a checkbox confirming they're not a complete idiot. But then that would be "offensive", wouldn't it...............? :rolleyes:

If you say the website is very clear than no reason to go and check...I do not use it myself
The reason for saying was a result of what one parents mentioned a while ago...maybe she was confused herself

Thanks for the replies ...again very useful and triggering reflection on how to inform parents