PDA

View Full Version : Emergency contacts

Sylwiakenworthy
13-11-2014, 07:25 PM
Hi
I recently moved and don't know many people in the area as yet. I am wondering if my emergency contact must be a childminder?? When I looked on FIS webs for childminders in my area - the closest one is 5miles away..

moggy
14-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Hi
I recently moved and don't know many people in the area as yet. I am wondering if my emergency contact must be a childminder?? When I looked on FIS webs for childminders in my area - the closest one is 5miles away..

Hello, you might want to re-post in another section as this part is for Questions and Info about using the Forum. There are sections on EYFS, general childminding etc. You'll get more replies there!

As for your question- no, in an emergency (a true emergency, like you are taken away in an ambulance) then you will leave the children with whoever you trust and is available- neighbour, your partner, friend. Good to have a few ideas of whom you might ask, think about who is around during your working hours. They do not need a CRB. I would keep the children with me and get parents or their emergency contacts to collect, unless it is absolutely necessary (and only circumstance I can think of right now is if I am taken away in an ambulance. Even if house was burning down I would stay with the children and take shelter at a neighbours. But I am sure there are circumstances that could happen.)

You may want some CM contacts to give to parents in case you have to close for any reason, but it is the parents' responsibility to arrange such care if you are closed, I just put some suggestions in my portfolio and in my emergencies policy.

clairelou
14-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi, I have come here with the same query, I was inspected in September and my inspector asked me what I would do in the event o an emergency,
I replied with what I had written in my policy, explaining that for 14 years I had another local childminder as my contact but as she had recently retired I would get my husband (who works around 3 minutes away) to care for the other children until parents can arrive while I go to hospital with the child in need.
Well her eyes opened really wide and a horrified look came over her she said 'but but does he have a paediatric first aid?' I replied 'no just the first aid at work' She then said "you must change that policy with immediate effect and NEVER NEVER leave the children with him as if a second emergency happened he wouldn't know what to do" You must keep all the children with you until they can be collected.
I did this as soon as she left stating that all the children would come with me to the hospital in the event of an emergency.
Fast forward to this last weekend when I renewed my first aid, I mentioned this to the first aid trainer, She said "ho no, other children would not be allowed in the ambulance or into A&E.
I have contacted ofsted about this and twice been given a link to the EYFS guidelines on suitable paid carers. I have tried to phone but have been on hold for 30 minutes twice so emailed instead.
My CSSO has no words of advice apart from ask ofsted or get my husband a paediatric first aid.

Surely I am not the only very rural childminder in the country who has no emergency contact with a paediatric trained first aider as an emergency contact who could arrive before an ambulance?
I have been childminding 17 years and this last inspection has about finished me off!

Sylwiakenworthy
14-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Hi Sorry to hear that, such a bad experience!!! I still don't know what I'm going to do. I suppose the only option is to ring around with hope that the local childminders will be willing to be on my emergency contact list.

Thank you for your replies

Simona
14-11-2014, 02:58 PM
How frustrating for you and again...so many different contradictory pieces of advice....don't you just hate it when Ofsted helpline refer you to the EYFS as if we have never heard of it?
if we ring for support it is because the blooming thing is ..at times...far from simple to translate

You can always make sure the parents give you names of emergency contacts as well...those who can pick up at short notice if there no Cms close to you

I will put this on my OBC list ...hope all goes well and you find a solution.

AliceK
14-11-2014, 03:57 PM
I have my OH as my emergency contact, of course he is CRB checked but is not paediatric first aid trained. No-one from Ofsted has ever queried it. So annoying when we get conflicting information from them and conflicting info as to what is and isn't allowed from the inspectors :angry:

xxx