PDA

View Full Version : daily diaries or other for parents ?

mumofone
12-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I was wondering how everyone fed back to the parents each day on their childs day (eg naps, activities, food etc) - do you do it by way of a daily diary or sheets of paper or something else? Im trying to think of the best way to do it...

moggy
12-11-2014, 06:13 PM
A5 lined spiral bound note book- cheap, easy, no printing needed. Parents write in it before coming to me, I write in it through the day. Easy.

loocyloo
12-11-2014, 06:25 PM
I have A5 folders and each day put a sheet in with info about sleeps/food/nappies etc.
I have a page for parents to write on.
If parents forget it I can still write info on sheet of paper and send home for them to put in folder.

loocyloo
12-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Sorry .. double post!

AliceK
12-11-2014, 07:36 PM
I use an A5 blank book as a daily diary in which I write what their child has enjoyed doing along with a pic or 2 each day and then I have a separate A5 sheet which I fill out with everything they eat , sleep times, nappies etc.

xxx

FloraDora
12-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Online programme that parents can access on their phone - all are read and regular comments made - works brilliantly.

AgentTink
12-11-2014, 07:50 PM
I have a private group set up for each child on Facebook which is linked to my business page so the parents are not actual friends on my private Facebook page.

Each day I type nappies, naps, food and a brief outlined of what we have done and anything I need to share about their child. Out of all the methods I have used this is the one that gets used most by parents. They are always leaving comments which I use in learning journals and I also use the private groups to share info such as holidays as it let's me know that a parent has read the post.

Simona
13-11-2014, 08:39 AM
I was wondering how everyone fed back to the parents each day on their childs day (eg naps, activities, food etc) - do you do it by way of a daily diary or sheets of paper or something else? Im trying to think of the best way to do it...

Whatever suits your setting...your parents and you will be best.
Cms vary in their practice
Diaries can be online or you can feedback verbally each night

FB is favoured by many ...while others wouldn't go anywhere near that ...the view being we are moving away from actual communication and putting everything online

The important thing is to make sure you are not duplicating and drowning under unnecessary and unrequired paperwork

often you may feedback at pick up what you have already written in the diary and the details could easily go on a small parents' board for all to see...such as daily Menu and daily planning

Good luck with your choice!

KateA
13-11-2014, 03:54 PM
hi I have a pre printed sheet which i stable into a communication book so allways copy of it.

It includes infor on what they have eat or drunk and how much, when I changed the napies and if they were wet etc. When they sleptand how long for, how they had been that day and what we had done.
There is always a parent comment section which one mundees family never fill in
x

bunyip
13-11-2014, 06:33 PM
I agree with Simona (no, honestly: it has happened before :rolleyes: .) Do what best suits you and your client parents.

One of my first clients was a mum whom I hardly ever saw. I picked up the lo from preschool and returned her to gran. In that arrangement, the written diary was absolutely essential. Being a bit dim, this led me to place excessive emphasis and outright faith in diaries, as if they were the only way to do "communication". So when other clients didn;'t write feedback in them, or lost them and didn't seem to care, I started getting cross about it. It took a while and a bit of reflection for me to admit there were other and better ways to do things, according to the needs and character of the individual client.

I may be slow, but I get there......................eventually. ;)

jackie 7
13-11-2014, 09:57 PM
i do daily diaries, I got a load at childcare expo, now as they run out I am trying to decide if I start to do them online with the system i use or to stay with paper. I also do brief exchange at hand over.

miffy
14-11-2014, 07:38 AM
I keep my daily diaries (my own version) on the computer and email at the end of the week to parents asking them to comment and email it back. Some always comment, others never do!
I also have a chat with parents each morning and night so they know what we've done without having to wait until they get the diary - I write down anything significant they tell me about their child.
Works well for me and there is nothing to get lost!
Miffy xx

Simona
14-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Can anyone tell me if parents really want us to list the number of times a nappy has been changed?
how full it was ...or dry?... I am really trying to get my head round this because a parent told me once she never wanted to read repetitive info on how many times a nappy was changed...she said she wanted more than that.

unless there is a change in the 'normal habits' are parents wanting us write down every time a nappy has changed? surely that is agreed and discussed at the initial interview and when explaining our practice?

any change in normal habits would be discussed at pick up time anyway...unless we are 100% sure parents read the diary every night? also some info would have to be verbal such as diarrohea or vomiting?

Food...do parents ask to know exactly what the child has eaten and drunk...or would a menu board solve that problem where it is accessible to all...and children themselves could tell their parents what they enjoyed that day?
we could then record any changes such as excessive drinking or refusing to drink...or trying a new food or such like...or indeed not liking something given to children

A menu board is much less paperwork that writing a diary for ...say...6 children each day
When do CMs write a diary at night to include what a child has eaten at dinner and what he has done while waiting to be picked up? ?

My way of solving this is to ask parents 'what sort of information' do they expect in a diary...will they input in it every day?
do they prefer verbal communication and feedback at night...if so would they pick up 10 mins early to facilitate that?

Would they like the additional paperwork in the form of diary when not really required...will they remember to return the diary each day and write in it ?
is the diary for general info or to report on progress as well...planning and other things we do in the LJs and separately?
is this duplication?

I think that the issue has also promoted companies in producing additional paperwork and ...often ...at a great cost...diaries need not cost the earth

My view of course

loocyloo
14-11-2014, 11:52 AM
My diaries are written on sheets of paper put in small file. They are written up during snack, lunch and tea times. Takes only a few minutes.
I had a parent who did like to know when child had a dirty nappy and got in the habit of writing it down once changed. Again takes seconds!

Alot of my children are not collected by parent or parent can't remember (!!) so I write down what was offered for meals.

I give a brief run down on the day.
We also pass messages like 'more nappies or spare socks' ' been up all night' etc

My parents all like the diaries and they are always commented on in references that they help the parent feel part of their child's life with me.

X

bunyip
14-11-2014, 07:37 PM
(Bunyip's edit to save space) Can anyone tell me if parents really want us to list the number of times a nappy has been changed?
how full it was ...or dry?... I am really trying to get my head round this because a parent told me once she never wanted to read repetitive info on how many times a nappy was changed...she said she wanted more than that. .................................
Food...do parents ask to know exactly what the child has eaten and drunk...or would a menu board solve that problem where it is accessible to all...and children themselves could tell their parents what they enjoyed that day?

My view of course

I generally find parents are interested in how much and what their children have eaten, but maybe that's just my clients. They are certainly a lot less interested in the detailed daily nappy count. I confess, I still do the nappy count for 2 reasons:-

1. I ask parents to provide nappies, and they occasionally comment when I ask for a fresh pack (e.g "already !?! - what are you doing with them all?" - yeah, right, like I have a stall at the local car boot selling their nappies on for a little extra profit :huh:) so I can at least show them how many we've gone through.

2. I've heard a lot of parents or erstwhile clients of various childcare settings complain they suspected their baby wasn't changed frequently enough. One client family of mine cited this as one of the reasons they pulled their lo out of his previous nursery setting.

Maybe, parents aren't so much interested in the details, but the fact that we attend to the details marks CMs out as being more diligent and meticulous than nurseries? Just a thought.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree we should be following parents' wishes on this issue and not going into 'diary overkill mode'. There's nothing wrong with cooperating with parents just as much, if not more, than we expect them to cooperate with us, is there? :huh:

But then, we could ask a lot more important questions. Such as, do parents all really want us to act like we are the 'school before school' and be constantly trying to educate and bombard them with L&D. Such as, are they on board with the fact that our only function under government policy can be summed up as one of getting the little darlings "school ready" - no more, no less - and is this what they really want when they go looking for childcare? Such as, why can't we give parents care and a home from home for their child, if that is what they want for their child and want to contract us and pay us to do? How many parents actually give a dingo's kidney if their toddler can't get a computer program working or hold their crayon in the only State-sanctioned 'tripod grip'? :huh: :mad:

Simona
15-11-2014, 09:37 AM
I generally find parents are interested in how much and what their children have eaten, but maybe that's just my clients. They are certainly a lot less interested in the detailed daily nappy count. I confess, I still do the nappy count for 2 reasons:-

1. I ask parents to provide nappies, and they occasionally comment when I ask for a fresh pack (e.g "already !?! - what are you doing with them all?" - yeah, right, like I have a stall at the local car boot selling their nappies on for a little extra profit :huh:) so I can at least show them how many we've gone through.

2. I've heard a lot of parents or erstwhile clients of various childcare settings complain they suspected their baby wasn't changed frequently enough. One client family of mine cited this as one of the reasons they pulled their lo out of his previous nursery setting.

Maybe, parents aren't so much interested in the details, but the fact that we attend to the details marks CMs out as being more diligent and meticulous than nurseries? Just a thought.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree we should be following parents' wishes on this issue and not going into 'diary overkill mode'. There's nothing wrong with cooperating with parents just as much, if not more, than we expect them to cooperate with us, is there? :huh:

But then, we could ask a lot more important questions. Such as, do parents all really want us to act like we are the 'school before school' and be constantly trying to educate and bombard them with L&D. Such as, are they on board with the fact that our only function under government policy can be summed up as one of getting the little darlings "school ready" - no more, no less - and is this what they really want when they go looking for childcare? Such as, why can't we give parents care and a home from home for their child, if that is what they want for their child and want to contract us and pay us to do? How many parents actually give a dingo's kidney if their toddler can't get a computer program working or hold their crayon in the only State-sanctioned 'tripod grip'? :huh: :mad:

The question of diligence and being meticulous did not really enter my mind when I commented....is reporting verbally less diligent than doing a diary? and less meticulous if providers choose the verbal alternative?

Personally...I discuss diaries well before the start of care so I gather what the parents will be like with this additional piece of paperwork...it is a good indicator

I like to gather lots of info at their 1st interview...that is when they first visit my setting and I interview them...and invite them to ask lots of questions and also have a few on my list....that is all before I call them back to meet again and give a contract

It's an 'All about ME' for parents as well as using it for their child...and ...as it is then transferred in their 'general info' contract section ...it makes it easy to review when required

Do they want to know about nappies? ...what if we tell them each evening?
are they interested in what children have eaten?...what if we discuss this at night?
info such as reminder for a new pack of nappy does go in the diary but...oh yes...they forget to read it so we have none and use our stock and we end up texting at the last minutes

I am puzzled how some parents can access all these 'online diaries' during the day and work and even input on the spot ...but...if called in an emergency they may not answer and say they were in a meeting?

Reporting on drinking is easy as each child would have his/her sports bottle and very visible on the table when parents arrive...we would be able to tell them what has been drunk

Other drinks such as milk can go on the daily menu...all very visible
Snack too could go on the menu list with all the alternatives

When working in a nursery recently I saw the staff tell the parents exactly what the child did, ate, drunk ...then handed the diary where it was all recorded ...which in itself had taken a bit of time anyway during the session and the lovely diary probably cost a little fortune.

We could also discuss frequency of nappy changes...as needed and at least 4/5 times a day

In terms of loading parents with feedback on L&D and progress...and any bits that may need addressing such as behaviour...it depends how much info is given to parents...they do not need to be overwhelmed by it...a short well written summary is all Ofsted say it is required....lets follow that then

On being a 'school before a school'...no thank you ...that is not what we are as much as Ofsted want to push school readiness on the children I think it is utterly ridiculous that those with little knowledge tell us what school ready means so they can tick their target box

The beauty is that we are all different ...the nasty bit is when we overdo the bureaucratic side of things 'just in case' Ofsted raise it as a requirement that was never in EYFS in the 1st place.

To me a diary is where people tell a story about a person...enjoyment and daily experiences....people they meet etc etc
I have never read any published diaries where bodily functions are repeated ad infinitum ... maybe we use the wrong terminology?

rachelle
15-11-2014, 09:49 PM
I had my husband write a parents log in section on my own website where each parent can access their daily notes and then if I have an observation it's put into its own section at the bottom of that days diary. The diary is then highlighted in a different colour so they know there's an ob. It works fab, means learning journals are always up to date and means parents can access diaries at any time. I do mention nappies if asked to or if child hasn't pooed here for a few days. I can also see (although they don't know) whether or not a diary has been read from my front screen. All parents have the option to print the diaries and observations off. I like it and as a system it seems to be working really well :-)

Simona
16-11-2014, 09:11 AM
I had my husband write a parents log in section on my own website where each parent can access their daily notes and then if I have an observation it's put into its own section at the bottom of that days diary. The diary is then highlighted in a different colour so they know there's an ob. It works fab, means learning journals are always up to date and means parents can access diaries at any time. I do mention nappies if asked to or if child hasn't pooed here for a few days. I can also see (although they don't know) whether or not a diary has been read from my front screen. All parents have the option to print the diaries and observations off. I like it and as a system it seems to be working really well :-)

Interesting...is your daily diary also used to record observations?...if so how does this mean your 'LJs is always up to date' and how do you transfer the obs in your LJs to make an assessment?

If your parents do not access the diary you say are aware of it but they are not....what if you have put something very important in their diary and they have not read it?
how do you approach the parents and tell them without revealing the facility you have of tracing their access to the dairy?...sorry about so many questions...truly fascinating.

bunyip
16-11-2014, 05:31 PM
I have to say I've become less 'stressy' about diaries. I used to be desperate to get a photo of the child in there before the lo was collected, but am now more relaxed about catching up a day or a week later.

i'm not blessed with a great memory, so I put the meals, nappy changes, etc. in the diary straightaway cos, quite frankly, I'd forget how many otherwise.

blue bear
16-11-2014, 08:32 PM
All mine ask for diaries,some read em some don't. Some write in them others don't take them out of the bag.
Once a child was admitted to hospital the diary went with them, the notes of what eaten and when was appreciated by the medical staff as the parents were too much In A flap to remember what I'd told them, so for that reason alone I like to do them, you just never know when the Information will be useful.
I like looking back in them, what interested the child, how can we build on that? Reading them back a few months later is lovely to see the progress the child has made. The children love me reding them to them, when older they tell me what to write, what they did that morning, what they are eating for lunch that sort of thing.
In short, I do them because I like doing them, if parents read them great:) if not then never mind. :huh:

Simona
17-11-2014, 09:16 AM
All mine ask for diaries,some read em some don't. Some write in them others don't take them out of the bag.
Once a child was admitted to hospital the diary went with them, the notes of what eaten and when was appreciated by the medical staff as the parents were too much In A flap to remember what I'd told them, so for that reason alone I like to do them, you just never know when the Information will be useful.
I like looking back in them, what interested the child, how can we build on that? Reading them back a few months later is lovely to see the progress the child has made. The children love me reding them to them, when older they tell me what to write, what they did that morning, what they are eating for lunch that sort of thing.
In short, I do them because I like doing them, if parents read them great:) if not then never mind. :huh:

thank you Blue Bear...every cm will have a unique and different experience regarding diaries...some love them...some hate them because they add to paperwork....some mix them with LJs...some get replies and others don't.

My aim was to try and find out if it is possible to do 'interesting diaries' without duplication and repetition

The replies have been very useful

Thank you all....and no need to get 'stressy' Bunyip

bunyip
17-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you all....and no need to get 'stressy' Bunyip

No worries. I have an excellent coping technique......................................... ..................... in the fridge. :rolleyes:

hectors house
17-11-2014, 11:06 AM
I have a sheet that I fill in throughout the day, I used to handwrite it and stick on the door for parents to read but found that often a different person would collect to the one who dropped off and the information wasn't getting passed on. So I asked parents if they would prefer to have the sheet e-mailed instead - I had very positive response and have sent an e-mail to each parents each evening. I don't fill in one for each child it's a "What was available to your child" I make sure that parents can't see each others e-mail addresses and if I had a concern about a child I would send them a separate e-mail if I hadn't discussed it with parent at collection time.

In the body of the e-mail I may ask for welly boots or tell them about a trip I am planning. 8585