PDA

View Full Version : I need to find work, and fast. What am I doing wrong?

asatess
07-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I've been minding for 10 years. Only a couple of years ago my spaces were all filled, I did lots of community minding through social services, I had 11 after school children scattered over the week. Due to social services budget cuts, massive after school club expansion at my local school, 2 of my parents being made redundant from the same firm in 4 months, I'm left with one under 5 three days, one under 5 two days and one after school child who goes at 4 and earns me a fiver.
I'm registered on childcare.co.uk, our local council website, have a website and FB page, spent £50 on flyers and cards which I've put everywhere, paid £20 to be on Family Info Link. I'm a network childminder, a support childminder, offer 2 year old offer and nursery grant.
I know childminding is feast or famine, but this is serious famine. What else could I be doing? When it was new children's taster day at school in July, I parked my car at the entrance with posters in the windows and flyers under the wipers. Not one phone call.
Any suggestions, ideas welcome

VeggieSausage
07-11-2014, 01:21 PM
netmums, join local Facebook mums pages there are often people asking about childcare on there, notice in your front window and on your car, tell everyone you have a space, update your childcare.co.uk profile every day/ few days to keep your profile at the top. If you are not getting work but having people coming to see you then ask another minder to come over and see if they think you can make improvements, network with other minders and refer them in return for them referring you.......are there other local minders near you?

asatess
07-11-2014, 01:44 PM
I have a poster in my car and I live on a main rd so it does get seen. The local mums FB page is a good idea. I know several nearby childminders who know I'm looking for work.
The last 2 visits from prospective parents haven't been successful and they didn't get back to me. This has knocked my confidence a little as over the last 10 years most parents who visited have wanted the space. This could be because more childminders are available locally, many of my previous parents have been word of mouth (which means you're half way there), and I wonder whether, now in my mid 50s my age is going against me. Obviously the less children I have, the less chance of a child coming by word of mouth. A visit by someone who could look at my setting through fresh eyes would be a good idea. Another childminder or my network coordinator?
Does anyone know if the upgrade on childcare.co.uk is worth it. I'm reluctant to spend any more money unless I know it will generate work.

loocyloo
07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
big hugs.
I know how disheartening it can be to be looking for work, but none forthcoming.

do you chat to everyone at school, let them know you have vacancies, would school let you put an advert on the notice board, or on their newsletter? same with local preschools/nurseries.

do you go to toddler groups? could you pop in to a health visitor clinic/weighing session? even if its on a day you don't have any children, pop along and say hello. I used ot help at toddlers when I didn't have any minded children ... making tea, holding babies etc.

do you have a childrens centre? could you go along to a few events there, and get your self 'known'? if not just by the staff ( who at my local CC can't recommend CM, but as I attend, they can say that I come to the childrens centre ) but by parents. I have had funded children come to me, through knowing the parent support workers at the childrens centre.

when I was looking for children I told EVERYONE I was a childminder, and it did trickle down to people who were looking. also, being seent o be out and about with minded children is a big advert. put LOs in a high Vis jacket or something and you will be noticed. I had a parent phone the other day who had mentioned to her hairdresser she was looking for childcare ... hairdresser said ''what about the lady who is always out with the children in high viz jackets?'' they didn't know my name, but asked someone else in the hairdressers who did know it was me!

are there lots of childminders in your area? could you ask them to pass enquiries your way if they can't do it?

good luck.

i also have a fleece and tshirts that say 'childminder' on the back ... silent advertising.

tulip0803
07-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Loads of childminders have filled their spaces by contacting parents on Childcare.co.uk - it does depend on your area as it works better in built up areas than rural (more parents logging on). Parents can also get links to your website and your telephone numbers if you are a Gold Member :thumbsup:. They also have loads of free courses so you can get more than your monies worth. You can sign up monthly if you don't want to spend too much at the moment.

Fitrix
07-11-2014, 02:07 PM
I agree upgrading to gold membership even if only until you've filled your spaces is a good idea. You can be more proactive about filling spaces and sing your praises to them before they've even asked! We went through a very dry (and a bit scary) spell a few months back - particularly bad as we had soooo many parents visit and then never get back to us! We got a childminder friend round which was very helpful and changed our setting slightly (just more lighting to make it brighter). We also realised that new parents were really put off by the number of kids we had (lots of our own and lots of mindees who were leaving but doesn't matter - parents see and understand what is right infront of them at that time). We tailored interviews so we weren't so busy but made prospective parents aware we are a busy household before they even turned up. I also rang some parents who hadn't placed their children with us for feedback. So from the point of view of prospective enquiries you could try to find out what their needs/expectations are and try and tailor the interview accordingly?
Unfortunately the world of minding really is down to whether there is work out there. You can advertise on every street corner, but if people don't need childcare they just don't. All you can do is make sure you stand out from the other childminders. Sounds like you are doing everything possible that way. Just try gold membership for a month and see if it helps?

asatess
07-11-2014, 03:42 PM
I've upgraded on childcare website and have contacted a few parents. Thanks for the advice. I agree that it's difficult to tailor a prospective parent visit as you never really know what they're looking for. One parent who's children I had for 6 years told me years later that she chose me cos on her first visit I was wearing shorts and flip flops!! I also think, a bit like dating, that visits always seemed more relaxed and successful when I had plenty of work and I wasn't really bothered if they called me back or not! Maybe now I seem a bit desperate.
Can I just ask, those who have ever asked for feedback from a parent who didn't take a place, was the feedback useful and positive? Or was it things that can't be changed, like living on a main road etc

VeggieSausage
07-11-2014, 06:18 PM
I do agree with the thing of seeming desperate but it is so easy to say and difficult to change.I have a minder friend and she had quite a few months with no children and people were not choosing her but then when she got one person she then started filling up, parents seem to sense the neediness. I really think it is worth asking another minder round to see if there is anything that can be pepped up a bit to impress parents, maybe have a look at other settings and see what other local minders are doing......someone will come along and want to use you and they will be the right people for you xxx I get quite a lot of business though my facebook page, they don't necessarily find me on facebook but I send them the link before they come and see me and they like it, do you update yours regularly? Here is a link to mine to have a look at :) www.facebook.com/sarahcdschildminding

Fitrix
08-11-2014, 12:46 PM
One parent I asked feedback from chose another minder who lived closer so she could walk to pick her child up. I have had parents not interested because they wanted same age playmates for their child. I couldn't get them to understand that little ones emulate older children and actually can get more from spending time with differing age ranges. Parents often have their own mindset - so it's a good idea to back up positive things about your setting with reasons why it is beneficial to the care of their child if you can - on your website. Hope you find more work soon.