PDA

View Full Version : Small flat and space requirements.

Angharad2000
06-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Hello,

Hoping that those of you minding from small spaces could shed some light on something for me. I'm newly registered and have heard a couple of conflicting things. I have 3 children aged 1, 4 and 6 and I live in a 3 bed flat in London. Our biggest room is 8.8metres squared but I have 17metres squared over 3 rooms and I could easily supervise children in different rooms due to the layout of the flAt. I have had an enquiry from a 1 year old who I thought I couldn't mind because I wouldn't have the space to fit them and my own 3 in the biggest room. Am I right or could I take them on because the space in the flat overall is sufficient?! Thanks!

JCrakers
07-11-2014, 10:07 AM
When you had your Ofsted visit did the inspector tell you how many you could have? Does it say anything on your certificate?

You must be able to have at least 1 mindee because otherwise what was the point in registering? :D

Kiddleywinks
07-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Agree with JC, how many children did your inspector tell you you could have in each age group? If you're not sure, contact Ofsted and have them confirm.

Children under 2 years require 3.5 m2 per child

Children aged 2 - 3 years old require 2.5 m2 per child

Children aged 3-5 years require 2.3 m2 per child

Lal
07-11-2014, 11:04 AM
I don't think we are told anymore how many we can mind. We are responsible for ensuring we keep to ratio and floor space requirements. Due to the layout of my house I use the floor space in our lounge/diner in my calculation. I have space in the spare room upstairs which could be used for sleeping and my daughters room for her to play in if she wanted time away from mindees, but I wouldn't be able to supervise mindees appropriately over the two floors. I would call ofsted for clarification. I would be interested to know what you are advised.