PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it having 3 x under 5s?

NinkyNonk
06-11-2014, 09:10 AM
At present, I only have 2 children (siblings) who are 1 and 3....the older also goes to playgroup - I take and collect. I've been asked to have a 2 year old just for one day a week.

Now in general it's fine, but I'm just thinking transport wise....obviously I have to do the school run twice (for my own child), playgroup run twice and that will be with 3 little people whatever the weather. I'd need to invest in a double buggy I'm guessing (unless the 2 year old is fine walking lots) and in the car I'd have to have the oldest one in the front.

I'm new to this so have had it relatively easy up to now with my 2 mindees. Any advice welcome!

AliceK
06-11-2014, 09:19 AM
I have always had 3 under 5's and for a long time 4 under 5's for 1 reason or another. It is very manageable you just need to be organised and know the children well. Today I have 2 x 1yr olds and 2 x 3yr olds then 3 after schoolies. I know it will be a very busy day and I know I need to be organised and have everything in place and planned but it seems normal for me now. On the quiet days when I may only have 2 LO's it seems like a holiday lol.

xxxx

smurfette
06-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Same! Today I have an 11 month old and two x 2.5 year olds. Two seems a holiday on the odd day it happens but it is fine once you are organised and get in the swing of it! The downside of course is as you say the school runs , but it's only one day a week and the flip side is you don't have all three all day!

NinkyNonk
06-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks...I guess I might be overthinking things! How do you manage car wise? I generally only use the car if the weather is bad (we have around a 20 min walk from playgroup, all uphill) but obviously it's something I need to consider. I've got a Honda Civic so can't fit 3 car seats in the back..

smurfette
06-11-2014, 09:38 AM
I do have a seven seater because I have three girls of my own.. Can u turn off airbag and put your own lo in the front?

Chatterbox Childcare
06-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Go to Mothercare or Halford or if local a Kiddicare and they will see what they can get in the back for you.

3 under 5 is rewarding if you are organised but 1 day a week wouldn't be too taxing lol

AliceK
06-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Although I have a 7 seater car I make sure that there is no part of my job that means I HAVE to use the car. We always walk to and from school and nursery (approx. 15mins ea way). Yes sometimes we go out in the car but it is not a necessity, I worry too much about the times when the car might be off the road so I make sure I don't rely on it. Also some days I might have 7 children before or after school so we wouldn't all fit in anyway.

xxx

JCrakers
06-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Having 3 under can be hard at first as you have to get to know the children. Its the same with all new children though, I took on two new boys just for the morning school run and wondered why I'd said yes because it was stressful. After doing it
5-6 times though they are now part of the furniture :thumbsup:

Once you've done a couple of sessions it all fits into place. I don't have a car for work and the school walk is only 10-15mins. I usually have 2 in double buggy and 1 walking (either 27m or 34m old) with a buggy board just in case we are in a rush or little one gets tired. (although they can swap in and out of buggy) We walk to toddler group on a Tuesday morning which is about 25min walk so the buggy board comes in handy.

As its only 1 day a week I would give it a go, its not as though you're committing to 5 days a week. :thumbsup:

If you are investing in a double buggy, look on ebay. I got my 360 nipper for £150 second hand and wouldn't be parted from it. You can push it with one hand while holding onto someones hand. I also use reins for extra protection.

NinkyNonk
06-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Great advice, thank you. I'm not sure about the airbag, but I'll certainly have a look.

It does seem silly to turn it down when it's only one day a week. I haven't got any reservations apart from the transport side of things, which I'm sure (as you have said) that it's easily sorted - I just need to get my head around it. I guess I've had it nice and easy with just the two. :-)

AliceK
06-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks...I guess I might be overthinking things! How do you manage car wise? I generally only use the car if the weather is bad (we have around a 20 min walk from playgroup, all uphill) but obviously it's something I need to consider. I've got a Honda Civic so can't fit 3 car seats in the back..

You might be surprised. At one point when I was in between 7 seater cars I had an old 3 door VW Golf and I managed to get 3 seats in the back. It was a squash to get the seatbelts done up but was possible.

xx

ziggy
06-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I had 3 under 2 from May of this year. caring for little ones wasnt a problem, the hardest part was fussy parents