PDA

View Full Version : What to do while waiting?

crumpet54
05-11-2014, 11:49 AM
hi
I posted a little while ago about starting in wolverhampton. I've completed the application for the next available course in jan/feb time.
While I am waiting what / if anything can I do before the course starts? what do you think? shall I start writing up policies? etc?
just want to get the ball rolling!

Elkie Mawdsley
05-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Hello - welcome to the wonderful world of child minding. I started in June this year and absolutely love it.

I would suggest downloading a copy of the development matters, early years outcomes and EYFS 2014 - it helps to get your head around them before the course starts and will help you to start thinking about rough activity ideas (which can later be moulded to children's interests).

It won't do any harm to write policies too - even if they end up getting changed a little once you have done the course. There are some set ones you must have to satisfy Ofsted, nht there are plenty of others you might want to help relationships with parents (potty training etc).

crumpet54
05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
fab thanks! I've been jotting down activity ideas etc but think I'll make a rough start on policies!
good to hear you are enjoying it!

CSR2014
05-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Hi,
I would suggest having a good read on here each day as well as the experience of practicing Childminders is invaluable and you often find out things on the forum by pure chance in my humble opinion!
Good luck

crumpet54
06-11-2014, 03:41 PM
I try and get on here once my baby has her nap but she only naps for 30mins so my visits on here are short and sweet!
I do think this site will be a fantastic tool!

CSR2014
06-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Hi,
This forum is far more informative (and a lot more interesting!) than any text book you could buy!!

Kiddleywinks
07-11-2014, 07:10 AM
I also found this site months before my actual course started, and used everyone else's problems, issues, doubts, and tales, to help compose my policies, and set straight in my head how I wanted to run my business.
Nothing better than the experience of others to learn from.

I found members constructively honest about things, nothing is viewed as a silly question, and once registered I found out about changes here first, whilst the LA take anything from 6 weeks to never to inform of changes.
I received the new Ofsted poster just this week - it's been out since September! Good job I wasn't due an inspection and relying on the LA :-/

As with most forums/Facebook groups, take on board what works for you, but don't try and do everything that's suggested - you'll wrap yourself up in knots if you do lol, and accept that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all.

I designed all my paperwork before registering, and have changed it around at least a 2 dozen times since then, but it's now working much better for me.

Bromley CMA is a good site to give you starting ideas for policies, although I don't have anywhere near as many as that - they even have one for laminate flooring!
(I risk assessed rather than made a policy lol)

Most of all, enjoy reading the posts, some will make you laugh, some will make you cry, some will have you turning grey, but it's real life, with real people, doing a very real job, and members are here to help so if you don't see a pits relevant to your question, ask away

Good luck

crumpet54
10-11-2014, 09:47 PM
brilliant thanks for your responses. Lots of helpful info x

crumpet54
28-01-2015, 10:12 AM
yay I have a start date for the course! can't wait to get into it!

Sammy Jo T
28-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the Forum! I'm a newbie awaiting my pre-reg inspection visit and I'm on here pretty much every day. It's been a life line this site and everyone is lovely!

As for getting ready try writing your policies, researching as others have suggested. Have a think about business name and logo (if you want one) and maybe design your paperwork. You could do a menu if you wish to supply food. I started purchasing toys and equipment when I started my course (My daughter is only 18 months old so needed things suitable for older children) and has been a lot easier to buy gradually rather than worrying about lots of expense in one go. (check out boot sales, facebook selling pages etc). :)

crumpet54
26-04-2015, 07:23 PM
hey a quick update-
im about half way through the course, its really dragging, ive been on here most days and developing my own policies, etc, got too many ideas for the room I am going to use!
I have received my dbs back this week, and health declaration in at the gp's at the moment.
when should I actually apply to ofsted? once I have completed the college course and LA training and first aid, safeguarding etc? or can I apply now? how long roughly has it been taking? im due to finish all the courses etc by middle of June.

p.s thank you for all the info you have all been sooo helpful :thumbsup:

Amanda70
27-04-2015, 07:18 AM
hey a quick update-
im about half way through the course, its really dragging, ive been on here most days and developing my own policies, etc, got too many ideas for the room I am going to use!
I have received my dbs back this week, and health declaration in at the gp's at the moment.
when should I actually apply to ofsted? once I have completed the college course and LA training and first aid, safeguarding etc? or can I apply now? how long roughly has it been taking? im due to finish all the courses etc by middle of June.

p.s thank you for all the info you have all been sooo helpful :thumbsup:

Hi, I live in Walsall and had to do my course through Pacey and find my own first aid course because Walsall have cut back on their funding. My course was on line I started it on 5th January and finished it on 15th February far quicker than if the LA was still doing them. You can. apply to Ofsted when you have completed the course and first aid course and health Dec back. The safeguarding doesn't have to be completed before you apply. I have just applied to Ofsted last week so a little nervous but excited too x

crumpet54
27-04-2015, 07:27 AM
ok I'll do that then. Thanks
good luck with yours!

Amanda70
27-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Will your LA also be organising your first aid course?

crumpet54
27-04-2015, 10:01 AM
yep it's all included. After the college course finishes there's a few Saturday sessions safeguarding, first aid and a evening session on La role and support and also a business session
it's with wolverhampton la

Amanda70
27-04-2015, 11:23 AM
yep it's all included. After the college course finishes there's a few Saturday sessions safeguarding, first aid and a evening session on La role and support and also a business session
it's with wolverhampton la

I understand, I was disappointed when I first looked into childminding that Walsall never organised everything but now Im glad that I had to sort it out myself because I done the course online so I could work on it every spare minute and do the first aid course as soon as possible too. It probably cost me more but at least now my Ofsted application is in :clapping:

Whats the name of the course you are doing?

sing-low
27-04-2015, 03:32 PM
hey a quick update- im about half way through the course, its really dragging, ive been on here most days and developing my own policies, etc, got too many ideas for the room I am going to use! I have received my dbs back this week, and health declaration in at the gp's at the moment. when should I actually apply to ofsted? once I have completed the college course and LA training and first aid, safeguarding etc? or can I apply now? how long roughly has it been taking? im due to finish all the courses etc by middle of June. p.s thank you for all the info you have all been sooo helpful :thumbsup:
Don't forget to register for the update service for your DBS (if you haven't already).

crumpet54
27-04-2015, 03:41 PM
I understand, I was disappointed when I first looked into childminding that Walsall never organised everything but now Im glad that I had to sort it out myself because I done the course online so I could work on it every spare minute and do the first aid course as soon as possible too. It probably cost me more but at least now my Ofsted application is in :clapping:

Whats the name of the course you are doing?

Diploma in home based childcare, its cost £200 inc course and first aid etc
have to pay for dbs health declaration etc as well!
its all adding up isn't it!

crumpet54
27-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Don't forget to register for the update service for your DBS (if you haven't already).

yep done it yesterday! thanks:thumbsup:

Amanda70
27-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Diploma in home based childcare, its cost £200 inc course and first aid etc
have to pay for dbs health declaration etc as well!
its all adding up isn't it!

It certainly is, it's cost over $500 so far, course cost nearly 200, first aid course 75, DBS's x3, health Dec 85, update service x3, lots of money so far . Then we will have to pay 35 to Ofsted, pli insurance, home and car ins, resources etc.

Have you applied for the 500 grant, I have, its confirmed I can have it they just waiting for my certificate number when I eventually have it.

crumpet54
27-04-2015, 06:23 PM
It certainly is, it's cost over $500 so far, course cost nearly 200, first aid course 75, DBS's x3, health Dec 85, update service x3, lots of money so far . Then we will have to pay 35 to Ofsted, pli insurance, home and car ins, resources etc.

Have you applied for the 500 grant, I have, its confirmed I can have it they just waiting for my certificate number when I eventually have it.

yep ive spent it several times over in my head ....... watch out ikea I'm coming for ya!:clapping: