PDA

View Full Version : How should i handle this child in meltdown.

Kbrands
05-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Yesterday was the first day back after the holidays. I had 1 two yo boy and my own nearly 2 yo.

I've had a few tantrums from this child (only natural), mostly about sharing, not throwing things etc.

Yesterday it was about walking back from playgroup. As they're close in age, i unfortunately can't have them both walk and push the buggy at the same time, so we do one walking there and one on the way back. It's always been a bit of an issue with this particular child, but it's usually a little moan.

This time it was full on tantrum, lasting for about an hour and a half after we got home. Couldn't touch him, couldn't move him from the buggy in the hallway. I ignored it mostly, we just went off and played and just came in ever now and again and said 'would you like your snack now?' or 'we're reading a monkey book, would you like to read it with us'. But i just got screams of 'mummy' (this is the default scream for whichever tantrum he has!).

I very nearly called his mum (never even considered this before), but she works a while away and to get her out of work and back over here would hardly have been worth it at that point in the day. I've had a few issues with this child before where they've been very troubled during the day only to be told they went to bed at gone 11 the night before.

Did i handle this ok? I really was a bit stumped as i can usually calm/distract a child fairly easily. I'm also much more aware of their shouting as we've recently moved to a semi detached house and it must have sounded absolutely awful! The mum just went 'oh dear' when i told her and we went over the behaviour handling plan again, which is basically to comfort and sing songs, but i couldn't really do that this time, so it was a bit useless.

Any ideas on how to handle this in the future?

Lal
05-11-2014, 12:15 PM
It sounds like you handled it well- there is not a lot you can do. Could there have been anything else wrong e.g. hungry, thirsty, tired, unwell and the buggy issue was the final straw?

Kbrands
05-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Definitely possible. Probably not tired or hungry as we had a pre-playgroup snack before we left.

As i said, we've had tiredness issues before, but he refuses to sleep during the day (at home and here), so if he's staying up late then it's a real issue.

After the mum revealed the late nights, i've always made a point of asking how he is, how he slept, if he's in a good mood etc at drop off, but mum always says yes (even if it's not necessarily true!).

I think we need to have another chat about behaviour management anyway, so i'll schedule that in.

Kbrands
05-11-2014, 12:34 PM
That was supposed to say thirsty, not tired!

smurfette
05-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a very tired little boy! I have one here who has been a handful here today .. Mum wants me to only let her have 30 mins snooze (she is 2.5 years) as she feels she doesn't settle at night if she has more .. I think she wants more attention at night from mum and dad when I have had her, and also they bed hop all night .. Mum breastfeeds new baby (who she claims doesn't disturb the others even though in her bed too!) and they swap from bed to bed .. No set routine or place to sleep. That's all well and grand , everyone has their own ways of parenting but in my opinion child is over tired (and over indulged. Been away a week and been a nightmare this week!) .. Yesterday she was a cranky so and so, and I left her two hours to sleep .. Apparently slept like a log last night!

One of my others is same age and doesn't go to bed Til 10ish, but it works for mum she lets him sleep in the morning and I give him breakfast then he has a 1.5- 3 hour nap.. And she has time with him in the evening

I realise it's hard for parents to balance the whole spending time vs early bed thing but at 2.5 I can't see your little man only needs 7/8 hours sleep. What time is he at yours at?

smurfette
05-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Well apparently little one was an angel all evening .. Two hour nap obviously agreed with her!