PDA

View Full Version : Puppy risk assessment and policy

skatie
04-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Hi,

We are getting a gorgeous new puppy on Saturday (very excited!). I've not told the parents yet as we only met our puppy last night and it's a surprise for my boys. I will give them all a letter but wanted to show that I had thought about risks etc by providing a policy and risk assessment attached to the letter. I know offhand some of the things I should be considering such as toileting, crate training but wondered if anyone has a copy of their dog risk assessment and policy that I could have a look at as I'm sure I'll have missed something. Thanks

littleDs31
05-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi unfortunately I don't have what you have requested but I to am considering getting a puppy and so It will be good for me to follow this. . I'm not sure how one of my parents is going to take it as she isn't fond of dogs. :( have you tried the Bromley site they usually have good policy samples? :)

appletart88
05-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Ahhh I asked the same question this morning! Sorry not much help but hopefully someone will be along soon to help us all out!

skatie
06-11-2014, 12:41 PM
I've done my own one now, if you want I have a look at what I've done then on me your email address and I'll ping it over. Good luck with your new puppy! I can't wait to get ours!!

sweets
15-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi would someone mind emailing me one please.
I bought a little girl poochon today! wont be picking her up for another month but want to tell my parents about her and not sure how one of them will react :panic:
If i can email her a policy it may help!

thanks x

Jiorjiina
17-11-2014, 12:45 AM
I have done both (we have a dog and some chickens). My pets policy is this:

Pets and animals can make a wonderful addition to a family, and teach children a great deal about responsibility, caring, respect for life and nature. I have several different types of pet that the children may interact with at the moment.

I appreciate that certain rules must be applied to ensure the safety of both the children and animals. These are the rules that I will follow:

I will never leave children unsupervised while there are animals around.
Children will be taught and expected to treat all animals with respect.
Children will also be taught that not all animals are friendly and that they must treat unknown animals with care, checking with the owners before approaching the animal.
Basic hygiene will be closely monitored and children will be taught and expected to wash their hands after handling animals.
Likewise, food and water bowls for animals will be kept out of reach of children.

Animals will be properly trained and their temperaments must be suitable for interacting with children.

The garden will be checked in the morning before children’s arrival, and any fouling cleared up.

My risk assessment mostly covers the same things like hygiene, risk of injury to children from animals and so on and how I am going to manage that risk (i.e making sure dog has had obedience training, washing hands, etc.)

If you think that a parent is not going to take to you having a dog, then try and present it to them in a positive manner, things like the responsibility of owning a pet, children who grow up with pets tend to have fewer allergies, are more confident and kinder, and fitter. I have one mindee who came specifically because we have a dog, and his mum does like them much so she wanted him to be confident around them.