PDA

View Full Version : Fees for one hour after school??

Kaybeaa
04-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone. I've been approached by a mum at the school I currently do drop offs/pick ups for about providing just one hour after school care for her daughter. It'll be pick up in car from school at 330 to be collected by mum at 430. I've the space to do this but just wondering what to charge?? My rate is £15 before and after school including meals and my hourly rate for pre school children is £4. Yet £4 a week for the faff doesn't seem worth it. What would you do? Charge ahigher rate?

jillplum
04-11-2014, 02:53 PM
I just charge by the hour at my standard rate. Its up to you tho.

tess1981
04-11-2014, 04:46 PM
If I was going to the school anyway I would charge £5 for that hour... but that's just me. And get one of those saving tins and drop the £5 in when you get it... All ads up. I do that with the £25 I get in a Monday for a little boy I mind one day a week... don't miss it going in as get it weekly and now have £320 in the tin I keep a note of how much in it. Going to keep saving until I fly to Liverpool in Feb :)

natlou82
04-11-2014, 06:32 PM
I have a LO that comes for 1 hr and I charge £5.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-11-2014, 07:11 PM
I would charge your flat rate of £15.00, sometimes when the parent knows they will spend the time doing other things. I wouldn't bother with 1 hour

bunyip
04-11-2014, 07:34 PM
I charge £15 flat rate for before and after school, including up to 3 hours care in total and breakfast and tea if there at the times I serve them.

I charge £10 flat rate for before or after school, including up to 2 hours care in total and breakfast or tea if there at the times I serve them.

This may sound terribly well-organised but I'm always struggling when someone new asks me for school runs. The latest is a mum who wants her 2 children walked home and never set foot in my place. It's about 30 minutes' walk and they live around the corner so easy to drop off at mum's, but I'm struggling to know what to charge. She ain't gonna pay £20 a day for that, but I know there are pitfalls in making exceptions and special cases. Don't want to turn it down as it is, to be brutally honest, pretty easy money for a walk I'm already doing. But then I have to ask myself the "what if" questions. What if the other clients drop out and I'm left just doing this pair for a pittance? What if mum starts being late and I have to take them back to mine (which would be pretty full with other mindees and family, etc.) ? :huh:

Kaybeaa
05-11-2014, 09:03 AM
Good advice everyone thankyou. It's tricky as Wednesday's I don't do the school run so would be going out of my way for that one hour but I wouldn't need to do a lot as by the time I've picked her up and got home we'd only have half an hour before parent comes. So easy money on a day I wasn't very busy anyway. Certainly something to think about anyway. I like the idea of popping the money in a pot to add up though!

Simona
05-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Good advice everyone thankyou. It's tricky as Wednesday's I don't do the school run so would be going out of my way for that one hour but I wouldn't need to do a lot as by the time I've picked her up and got home we'd only have half an hour before parent comes. So easy money on a day I wasn't very busy anyway. Certainly something to think about anyway. I like the idea of popping the money in a pot to add up though!

If you are happy to do that one odd hour then you can offer that service

Just bear in mind someone may come along later and ask for the full 3 hours...maybe you could make this clear to the parents that you have 3 hours to fill but you are willing to help in the short term?

Kaybeaa
05-11-2014, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE="Simona;1382931"] If you are happy to do that one odd hour then you can offer that service Just bear in mind someone may come along later and ask for the full 3 hours...maybe you could make this clear to the parents that you have 3 hours to fill but you are willing to help in the short term?[

Funnily enough we discussed this yesterday. I explained that if I got a child needing more hours than I'd need to put them first as couldn't accommodate everyone due to limited space and limited space in car. She was fine with this!