PDA

View Full Version : Feel like giving up before even starting!!

TabbyTuTu
04-11-2014, 11:15 AM
So, my first course with LA was a year ago. I'm still not registered. I have all my paperwork in place, made my home as safe as possible, even storing the floor lamp and coat stands in the loft due the H&S risks involved. I've gone on numerous courses with council, spent a fortune getting a second load of DBS certificates (I didn't sign up for the update service on time), been so so excited about starting out...

Once my next lot of certificates come back I am going through reg but already know that my childminding career won't last long.

I had such high hopes of a fantastic life doing this, but keep being pulled against a wall pre reg, one thing after another, it feels like it isn't meant to be. I have no support from my friends (Evil childcare providers stealing their money blah blah) or family, only my husband has been behind me. But now even he isn't, not completely. The government keep changing the rules, and with the talks of agencies, and more two year olds being shoved into pre-schools, now I can't even provide food without listing every possible allergen of every possible food... It feels like childminders are getting the brunt of the abuse against cost of childcare, and I'm beginning to think it will longer even be a valid career in ten years time!

I still long to do it but really think I need to think about the future too. I'm looking into level 3 courses at college, once I have that I can get a job in the evil nurseries that are everywhere, or at a pre-school or what have you. All the CM's in my town are struggling, the lady that suggested I become one in the first place is now throwing the towel in after eleven years. Yet nurseries need more and more workers to cope with the demand!!!

I'm hoping it will all work out. I can CM til I get a place at college then do a coffe shop job or stack shelves while studying (Already miss my own kids at the thought!!) but fingers crossed I will go back to cming after I have my qualification.. We'll see... Fel so downtrodden :-(

This is all assuming ofsted register me!!

JCrakers
04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Hugs :( I've been doing this for 7yrs now and I'm 'on my last legs'

With so much going on with DofE, Ofsted and the government it is really hard to put on a smile. It can be a fantastic rewarding job and It's so sad to hear about 'newbies' struggling before they've even started.
It's the children I real feel for too because childminders are the best form of childcare a child can ever get and its so sad that our jobs are being made so difficult and stressful.

Chin up, you'll get there and come out the other side a stronger person, and you'll be a very special person to the children that start coming to you :D

toddlers896
04-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Yes it's a tough job for very little money and we are always coming across obstacles. I've very nearly packed it in loads of times but am still going strong three years later. I often ask myself why! Their is good times and bad times with all jobs so I guess sometimes I just think about how lucky I am as it could be worse. Good luck Hun x

yummyripples
04-11-2014, 07:40 PM
So, my first course with LA was a year ago. I'm still not registered. I have all my paperwork in place, made my home as safe as possible, even storing the floor lamp and coat stands in the loft due the H&S risks involved. I've gone on numerous courses with council, spent a fortune getting a second load of DBS certificates (I didn't sign up for the update service on time), been so so excited about starting out...

Once my next lot of certificates come back I am going through reg but already know that my childminding career won't last long.

I had such high hopes of a fantastic life doing this, but keep being pulled against a wall pre reg, one thing after another, it feels like it isn't meant to be. I have no support from my friends (Evil childcare providers stealing their money blah blah) or family, only my husband has been behind me. But now even he isn't, not completely. The government keep changing the rules, and with the talks of agencies, and more two year olds being shoved into pre-schools, now I can't even provide food without listing every possible allergen of every possible food... It feels like childminders are getting the brunt of the abuse against cost of childcare, and I'm beginning to think it will longer even be a valid career in ten years time!

I still long to do it but really think I need to think about the future too. I'm looking into level 3 courses at college, once I have that I can get a job in the evil nurseries that are everywhere, or at a pre-school or what have you. All the CM's in my town are struggling, the lady that suggested I become one in the first place is now throwing the towel in after eleven years. Yet nurseries need more and more workers to cope with the demand!!!

I'm hoping it will all work out. I can CM til I get a place at college then do a coffe shop job or stack shelves while studying (Already miss my own kids at the thought!!) but fingers crossed I will go back to cming after I have my qualification.. We'll see... Fel so downtrodden :-(

Whoah. Calm down. It's not as bad as that. I absolutely love my job!
I think you may be looking too deeply into things. You don't need to remove all risk completely - you need to manage it. Children need to learn about not touching etc so you can keep your floor lamp and coat rack but think about how you are going to ensure that the children are safe - tbh they probably won't even be interested in it.
Ignore the comments about overpriced childcare. You know that you are providing value for money service and the parents who send their children to you will be happy enough to pay it.
Don't worry about agencies - they may not happen
Parents may not want their 2yr old babies in nursery
All you need to do is make sure you know what the main allergens are and check whether they are in the food you serve. You would do this anyway if you had a child with an allergy
Nurseries are not evil places - they just provide a different type of care
Parents who want home childcare for their children will still want childcare so childminders will always be needed.
The job is only as stressful as you allow it to be.
I have had 4 children today 30m, 17 m, 16m and 12m. The 12m old is a screamer and incredibly clingy but I just keep going.
Adopt a more positive attitude and you will be ok.
Out of interest, why are all the cms near you struggling?

CSR2014
04-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Hi,
I totally agree with what YummyRipples (sorry if I've got the name wrong!) has said about you over thinking things!! Just try to take it one step at a time and stay positive. Parents are looking to place children with a positive person who has a 'can do' attitude (in my humble opinion). Focus on what you still have left to do in order to get yourself registered, then go for it and give it all you've got. You've done the major investment of time and money already so why would you give up at this stage?!! What comes through from your posts is that you seem to have little confidence in yourself. You need to give yourself a break and push on and start believing in yourself. Good luck!!

TabbyTuTu
21-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys :-) I must admit, I was stressed out that day!! I have days where I am low in confidence but most days I am good. I meant evil nurseries as I was fed up of people acting like all childcare providers are evil, wicked money stealing beasties!

Floor lamp and coat rack, I shall make sure to RA them and if Ofsted is against them I can loft/sell the things.

NinkyNonk
21-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys :-) I must admit, I was stressed out that day!! I have days where I am low in confidence but most days I am good. I meant evil nurseries as I was fed up of people acting like all childcare providers are evil, wicked money stealing beasties!

Floor lamp and coat rack, I shall make sure to RA them and if Ofsted is against them I can loft/sell the things.

I haven't moved anything in my home (although my consultant pointed out lots that I would have to move....lamps, vases, bar stools etc). I've only had a pre-reg inspection so far but the inspector didn't say a thing about them, as I pointed out various things in my risk assessment. Mostly it was just that I would observe and if children showed interest in it and I felt it unsafe, I would move it. Like someone else pointed out, they need to learn not to and it's been absolutely fine for me.

Simona
24-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Hang on in there for a while longer if you can...just one more step to go :thumbsup:
Can you explain why you have been waiting for a year to get registered...is this Ofsted's fault or for other reasons?
It may be worth looking into this as it should not take that long

redtiger21
29-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Ah, honestly once You've been at it a while, you'll wonder why you panicked so much! I was the same when setting up, I claimed my house was a death trap and we had to get rid of everything! Heehee. Don't forget, the kids will have lamps, hat racks and all sorts of things in their own homes, so all you have to do is consider how you're going to keep the children safe. If there are spikes coming out of something or it's very delicate and precious to you, then yes move it. Otherwise just accept that children have to learn that they're not allowed to touch certain things. I insisted on putting a stair gate across my kitchen archway (never bothered for my own kids), and I swear it's more of a hazard than not having one there, as when I do open it to let the LOs through, the metal end of the gate is at each child's eye or cheek level!! My point is, we don't need to go overboard, and you'll probably chill out a lot about certain things once you get into the swing of the job- plus you'll no doubt be doing so many hours every week that you won't have time to do everything perfectly, and you won't care so much about the "powers that be", because they are so far removed from your actual day-to-day routine of looking after those little people.
Don't get disheartened at this stage, it's a hard job but very rewarding and there's a lot of freedom, and I must say, in the summer and at Christmas it is literally the best job ever!! Good luck :) X