PDA

View Full Version : none payment so no care has anyone followed through?

KateA
03-11-2014, 10:34 PM
hi, I have a client who only comes one day a week but they always pay late ( monthly in advance) which really bugs me. So far this week I have sent 1 reminder and still no payment now little one is due to come to me on weds. If still not been paid my contracts states no care until full payment has been received has anyone ever done this? would you let go this time or be firm from start and keep to contract? If you have said no to care did you wait for them to turn up on the day or text them to say don't bother turning up but worded politely of course?

Kiddleywinks
04-11-2014, 06:59 AM
I have had to follow it through - wasn't a nice thing to do, but was also surprisingly easy because I was fed up to the back teeth of not being paid on time.

I had given multiple warnings, and one weekend I had no money, and I mean no money. I had no food in for my own children let alone for theirs and I was so upset and annoyed.
Part of it was my own fault for trying to be accommodating to parents 'financial problems', but even so, they hadn't had the decency to stick to their part of the arrangement which was to pay on time, albeit a reduced amount as per their request, and had been warned of the consequences of late payments for several months prior.
I had written our 'short term arrangement' in a letter, been over and gone through it with mum, she signed her agreement to the changes, and she was more than aware of what needed paying and when to catch up.

On the next working day, I opened the door to Dad and LO, as he went to bring the buggy in I asked if he had some fees for me, Dad gave me a blank look and said no, I replied then I'm sorry, I cannot take LO until the fees have been paid as per the arrangement with mum at the weekend.
To be fair, he looked suitably ashamed and said oh right, I'll get it sorted, and walked away.
I on the other hand was shaking like a leaf, and very upset as LO had the saddest eyes when I shut the door, but I was paid later that day and was paid on time after that :clapping:

I certainly wouldn't WANT to do it again, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it if it was necessary

KateA
04-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi, thank you for replying and sharing your experience with me :- ) So far today I have still not been paid and he is due to come to me tomorrow.

I am thinking of still caring tomorrow for him as he is my only client at moment and only on month two so don't want to annoy parents. How ever I plan on reminding again that fees are due and that they signed a contract to pay fees on time and in future I will not be caring for them unless fees have paid in full.

Out of interest do you have a late payment fine or do you just stop care?

Kiddleywinks
04-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Ok, this is probably going to sound harsh, but....
Why are you worried about annoying parents by pointing out you have not been paid on time?
Are they worried about annoying you by not paying what they owe? Are they 'eckers like :panic:

I have toughened up after my own experience, as it had gone on for a while and it was only when I got to the point where 'enough was enough' that I gained a set of Wibble Wobble's hairy ones. That and I didn't give a monkeys hoot who I annoyed because I was annoyed at myself and them for abusing my good nature.

I'd rather know I have no money coming in due to no children than still have mouths to feed, bums to change, heating to have on etc and no money coming in.

I do charge late fees @£10 per 24 hours or part thereof of non payment - this was actually part of the parents problem, they had run up a stupid amount of late fees due to being consistently late. Our arrangement was that I would stop late fees but they had to catch up over an 8 week period. We'd worked out a lower payment during the week with a top up when they got paid at the end of the month, first week, no payment....!

Now after 3 days of non payment they are in 'breach of our agreement' so I suspend care, but still charge as it's their fault for not paying that they can't attend.

I must admit, since I got tough, I rarely have problems with payments anymore. That's not to say I'm not approachable if parents are having financial issues, but, I always make sure I get something rather than nothing and always have any short term variation to our payment terms in writing, signed by parent, and they get a photocopy.

KateA
04-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Hi, yep totally get what you are saying I am not a confrontational person so get really nervous when having to stick up for myself also I am fairly new at minding and they are my only client at moment dont want to lose them.

I use the MM contracts and have crossed out the late payment charge and just stated care will stop until payment received. I am now beginning to think I should charge as well.

I have written a late payment policy stating what happens when fees are late e.g. I will give a polite reminder then start to charge and its with in my rights to stop all care. I was planning on giving it to them this month stating it will take effect as of next month. Can I do this as late payment charge is not on the contract or do I need to amend contracts as well.

Sorry for all the questions x

JCrakers
04-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Have you sent a letter already? I would give them a letter saying something along the lines of...

Dear Parents,
Can I just remind everybody that invoices are to be paid by day stated on contract, if they are not received on the 1st then a daily fee of xxx will be added on to the amount owed. If by the day of care the invoice hasn't been paid then care of the child will be refused until payment is made.

I would give them the letter next time you see them and make out you're giving one to everybody (im such a wimp sometimes ..lol) :D

Mummits
04-11-2014, 01:01 PM
I had a pair of parents who paid half of my fees each. Mum paid on time, Dad always paid late. This made life complicated for me but I told him repeatedly he needed to pay on time or would incur late fees. In the end, I did invoice him for late payment, and he did pay, but immediately gave notice. I think you have to take on board that people who don't "get" that they need to pay on time are also likely to be those who throw their toys out of the pram when they are challenged. I'd rather not work with people like that but I know that it can be difficult when money is tight to stand your ground.

KateA
04-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Have you sent a letter already? I would give them a letter saying something along the lines of...

Dear Parents,
Can I just remind everybody that invoices are to be paid by day stated on contract, if they are not received on the 1st then a daily fee of xxx will be added on to the amount owed. If by the day of care the invoice hasn't been paid then care of the child will be refused until payment is made.

I would give them the letter next time you see them and make out you're giving one to everybody (im such a wimp sometimes ..lol) :D

H, i've not given them a letter yet think I am going to type one up tonight ready for tomorrow when i have him, if they have paid i will wait to give letter when I hand out the next invoice. x

KateA
10-11-2014, 11:02 PM
quick update she paid ar last minute. So keeping letter for when I is due next invoice thanks for all your help and advise x