PDA

View Full Version : parents instructions

Hello you
01-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Hello all,

If you are not too busy I am looking for some advices for example:

Giving me some examples of what might happen to a child if their parents’ instructions are not followed?

I will be very pleased of your time!

CSR2014
01-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Hi,
Can you be a bit more specific please? Would need some details before commenting!!

blue bear
02-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Do you mean like not giving them their medication? Or putting them for a nap near home time when asked not to?

moggy
02-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Hello all,

If you are not too busy I am looking for some advices for example:

Giving me some examples of what might happen to a child if their parents’ instructions are not followed?

I will be very pleased of your time!

Is this another course question? How is the course going? I think you need to look at all the areas of a child's care and some scenarios, some maybe serious like medication but also consider how to deal with instructions on routine or even on things we disagree on. Good luck with the course.

Hello you
02-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi Moggy,

That question is not linked with my course neither about giving them medication at all,
it is linked about the children routine, because very often they have different habits at home
and it is different from what We do in the setting, so why following parents instructions are
important?

Thanks à lot!!!

Is this another course question? How is the course going? I think you need to look at all the areas of a child's care and some scenarios, some maybe serious like medication but also consider how to deal with instructions on routine or even on things we disagree on. Good luck with the course.

bunyip
03-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Is there a specific issue? Is there a particular instruction you are struggling to accommodate? Is this a parent giving you trouble?

As said, it's difficult to comment without knowing the specifics, as circumstances alter cases. Very difficult (and probably dangerous) to generalise.

As a general point, I'd say CMs are probably more likely than group settings to be expected to accommodate parent's instructions/wishes.

There are some areas in which are simply not allowed to follow instructions: most obviously, I'm thinking of a parent who wants their child to be smacked. There are a lot of 'grey area' issues, which simply boil down to how the CM does things. There will almost inevitably be a certain amount of compromise if the CM-client relationship is going to work.

I was speaking only yesterday with a former nursery worker who gave up cos she hated the regimentation: all lo's put down to sleep at exactly the same time, everything timed to the settings' needs and not the individual child. CMs don't usually do this to the same degree, but some fitting in with "the routine" is necessary to make it work for every family. Inevitably, the odd parent comes along who wants to dictate, cos they see how different we are to a nursery and therefore think they can have the child treated exactly as if the were at home with mum. Inevitably, that sort of parent needs to be directed to a nanny service or to give up their day job if they can't understand the need to compromise.

Likewise, there are both extremes present amongst CMs. Some will jump through hoops to accommodate a 'Gina Ford' baby whilst others will take umbrage if mum wants them to use a particular brand of nappy. Some welcome lots of parental input and try their best to accommodate. OTOH there are some who take the view they are regulated and inspected by Ofsted and either a parent trusts them 100% on that basis and gives them free rein to look after the child, or else they take a hike down the road to find another setting.

hectors house
03-11-2014, 04:00 PM
I do ask parents to give me a rough idea of the child's routine before they start but do say that I can't always guarantee to follow it eg: if they say child sleeps from 9.30 - 11.30 every day in a cot, I would ask if child would sleep in a buggy as this is the time I am either out at a toddler group, on a countryside walk or at the park. I would say that if I had to stay in all morning then have other older children sleeping in the afternoon then I would never leave the house and my outdoor play and outings are what make parents choose me. I would then suggest that we try to move the nap times back later over a period of time so that all children sleep in the afternoon.

Hello you
03-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks for your time and your experience is amazing!

Is there a specific issue? Is there a particular instruction you are struggling to accommodate? Is this a parent giving you trouble?

As said, it's difficult to comment without knowing the specifics, as circumstances alter cases. Very difficult (and probably dangerous) to generalise.

As a general point, I'd say CMs are probably more likely than group settings to be expected to accommodate parent's instructions/wishes.

There are some areas in which are simply not allowed to follow instructions: most obviously, I'm thinking of a parent who wants their child to be smacked. There are a lot of 'grey area' issues, which simply boil down to how the CM does things. There will almost inevitably be a certain amount of compromise if the CM-client relationship is going to work.

I was speaking only yesterday with a former nursery worker who gave up cos she hated the regimentation: all lo's put down to sleep at exactly the same time, everything timed to the settings' needs and not the individual child. CMs don't usually do this to the same degree, but some fitting in with "the routine" is necessary to make it work for every family. Inevitably, the odd parent comes along who wants to dictate, cos they see how different we are to a nursery and therefore think they can have the child treated exactly as if the were at home with mum. Inevitably, that sort of parent needs to be directed to a nanny service or to give up their day job if they can't understand the need to compromise.

Likewise, there are both extremes present amongst CMs. Some will jump through hoops to accommodate a 'Gina Ford' baby whilst others will take umbrage if mum wants them to use a particular brand of nappy. Some welcome lots of parental input and try their best to accommodate. OTOH there are some who take the view they are regulated and inspected by Ofsted and either a parent trusts them 100% on that basis and gives them free rein to look after the child, or else they take a hike down the road to find another setting.

Simona
04-11-2014, 08:51 AM
The main issue to keep in mind at all times...is that we work in 'partnership with parents'

That to me means discussing, agreeing, listening and understandi8ng ...or not as the case maybe and... at times compromising too...not on the care and well being of each child but because whatever we are asked we cannot ever replicate what a child does at home.

And there are plenty of books on this subject for any parent to read.

Good luck !

hectors house
04-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Just noticed Hello You that your status said you are a Nanny, if you are employed by the parents and working for them in the child's own home then you probably do have to do what they ask you to do with regards to the child's routine. If you are now a childminder then change your status and hope the previous answers have helped. :thumbsup:

Hello you
04-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks to remind me, but, I can not change my profile, where should I go to do it?
:panic::laughing::jump for joy:

Just noticed Hello You that your status said you are a Nanny, if you are employed by the parents and working for them in the child's own home then you probably do have to do what they ask you to do with regards to the child's routine. If you are now a childminder then change your status and hope the previous answers have helped. :thumbsup: