PDA

View Full Version : Primary school become 1st CMs agency

Simona
28-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Primary school becomes first childminder agency | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1147757/primary-school-childminder-agency?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed)

Our childcare Minister has wasted no time in praise of the agency...with a good pinch of rhetoric

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/childminder-choice-has-never-been-better-thanks-to-first-agency

Smiley
28-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Saw this thanks and I've looked on their agency website again today. I still find it strange that the three childminders appear to have fictitious names and addresses.

Simona
29-10-2014, 08:10 AM
I have not been able to find the website you mention Smiley.....would you be s kind as to share the link so cms who do not do FB keep updated...thanks

This is the school website and says nothing about agencies.

St. Bede Academy, Bolton (http://stbedeacademy.org/index.html)

Smiley
29-10-2014, 08:43 AM
Here it is

St.Bede Childminding Agency | Bolton | Wigan & Leigh (http://www.stbede-childminders.co.uk)

Smiley
29-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Sorry, this is the one I was referring to

Childcare Agency (http://www.childcareagency.org/#)

Simona
29-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Sorry, this is the one I was referring to

Childcare Agency (http://www.childcareagency.org/#)

Thank you Smiley
I have found some of the details rather disturbing and frankly very unprofessional especially the section showing 3 male cms...one apparently with the same name and address as Superman I believe??
It gives them an agency rating...how when the agency has not been inspected as yet?

Under the packages...the info is all the same and there is no mention of any costs to cms or parents
The details of self employment 'within your own home' is rather ambiguous

Hope this is enough to raise and report concerns

Mouse
29-10-2014, 09:44 AM
I have found some of the details rather disturbing and frankly very unprofessional especially the section showing 3 male cms...one apparently with the same name and address as Superman I believe??

Hope this is enough to raise and report concerns

They are Superman, Batman and The Flash :ROFL1::ROFL1:

I would guess the website if just being set up at the moment as most of the links don't seem to work.

JCrakers
29-10-2014, 09:48 AM
It all seems really worrying to me. A large 'academy' with 6 nurseries already looking to recruit childminders, It all sounds very business like.

Seems that I'm making the right decision to give up in Sept 16 if this is the way its going.

The website looks more like a dating agency rather than someone looking for a childminder. The mugshots don't look like any childminders I've seen .. lol (Apoloies Bunyip if you are similar looking to one of these chaps)

JCrakers
29-10-2014, 09:50 AM

I would guess the website if just being set up at the moment as most of the links don't seem to work.

Maybe I could set up a close working relationship with Batman...just to share notes and stuff :D

Simona
29-10-2014, 09:53 AM

I am totally and utterly ignorant on the subject of setting up a website and characters as you can gather.... but ...if I were to try and sell mine to others I would ensure it did not go live with Mickey Mouse details...ooops....sorry don't take that wrong

Considering they are now registered at a very fast pace they should have had the time to prepare while 'teaming up with the DfE' and during their trials as it was obvious they were going to be the 'chosen' ones to lead the agency saga.

I like your thinking JCrakers!!!

Mouse
29-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Maybe I could set up a close working relationship with Batman...just to share notes and stuff :D

Batman must have something a bit special - he's 4 star rated and the others are only 3 :D

Mouse
29-10-2014, 10:00 AM
I am totally and utterly ignorant on the subject of setting up a website and characters as you can gather.... but ...if I were to try and sell mine to others I would ensure it did not go live with Mickey Mouse details...ooops....sorry don't take that wrong

Considering they are now registered at a very fast pace they should have had the time to prepare while 'teaming up with the DfE' and during their trials as it was obvious they were going to be the 'chosen' ones to lead the agency saga.

I like your thinking JCrakers!!!

I agree completely - if you want your business to be treated seriously you'd make sure the website was up & running properly before you published it (or whatever you do with a website).

I've looked on their FB page and there's very little info on there - certainly nothing that isn't on the website. There's no info about packages & costs, just a post saying the first 5 childminders to register will receive "great savings".

mama2three
29-10-2014, 10:04 AM
One childminder has already left a review saying thanks to the agency business has never been so good! This surely must be a 'trial' website , its certainly not the one I found when I googled. If its the actual website then they need to be reported for false information and false advertising!

Mouse
29-10-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm concerned that Barry Allen has space for 8 children under the age of 5 :eek:

Simona
29-10-2014, 10:12 AM
I agree completely - if you want your business to be treated seriously you'd make sure the website was up & running properly before you published it (or whatever you do with a website).

I've looked on their FB page and there's very little info on there - certainly nothing that isn't on the website. There's no info about packages & costs, just a post saying the first 5 childminders to register will receive "great savings".

Uh Uh...I was under the impression they had a queue of cms waiting to register?...remember their rhetoric during the trials?

Hope CMs are wise old beavers and not taken by huge savings based on non existing figures

I was thinking a spell on The Apprentice may do this agency good ...no costs...no idea of their USP...firing would not take that long :ohdear:
Rather laughable I think

Ripeberry
29-10-2014, 10:28 AM
They don't even know how to set up a website. Pages under construction should be hidden from the public. They have used fictional names to work out the layout. FAIL!

Smiley
29-10-2014, 07:10 PM
I couldn't believe it when I first saw the site a few weeks ago, seems a very strange way to promote a new business!

Simona
29-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I couldn't believe it when I first saw the site a few weeks ago, seems a very strange way to promote a new business!

You Smiley fox...you kept it all to yourself!! :D
Mind you it took me ages to find the right St Bede's school in the 1st place as you know...there are sooo many and never found the link to their website that's why I asked if you could share

Mmmm....thinking about a few questions to put to Sam Gyimah next week at #eytalking...since St Bedes can do no wrong for him, maybe he should take a look at their website?....food for thought

rickysmiths
29-10-2014, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't say anything Simona. Let the wonderful St Bede's look stupid and maybe they will shoot themselves because i would hope any self repecting cm would walk a million miles in the opposite direction! Let them fail on their own, don't tell them what they are doing wrong!

FloraDora
30-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Just popped on to website to see for myself what St Bedes is all about. If I was a childminder locally it doesn't give me confident vibes about the service they might provide for me!
You would think if the website designers are going to use fictional characters they would choose a childcare one, Mary Poppins, Euphegenia Doubtfire etc... though I have a LO who would love the action packed, shoot em up childcare that I would imagine you would get from Bruce - good role model for promoting characteristics of learning, solving problems, seeking challenges.

The idea of when you have low days being able to do supply in the nursery might be a positive for some - if you don't have your own children to care for though.

Smiley
30-10-2014, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=Simona;1382492]You Smiley fox...you kept it all to yourself!! :D
Mind you it took me ages to find the right St Bede's school in the 1st place as you know...there are sooo many and never found the link to their website that's why I asked if you could share

I think I didn't initially share because I couldn't quite believe it! :laughing:

Simona
30-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Just popped on to website to see for myself what St Bedes is all about. If I was a childminder locally it doesn't give me confident vibes about the service they might provide for me!
You would think if the website designers are going to use fictional characters they would choose a childcare one, Mary Poppins, Euphegenia Doubtfire etc... though I have a LO who would love the action packed, shoot em up childcare that I would imagine you would get from Bruce - good role model for promoting characteristics of learning, solving problems, seeking challenges.

The idea of when you have low days being able to do supply in the nursery might be a positive for some - if you don't have your own children to care for though.

That idea is possibly very attractive to some cms...a bit of variety and working with others settings...I would like it myself as an opportunity to engage and discover how other settings operate

What I am worried is that the website says 'Cms will be self employed in their own setting'...or such like...did I read that correctly?
What employment status will they have if they opt to do supply cover???

RS...I will reflect on that...if not the Minister I know where else to refer this

Does anyone not remember when the 20 Agencies Triallist were named one of them allowed their website to go live while still under construction?

it caused a few laughs and worries then ...it went a bit viral with people joking about it and sending links to one another to take a look...I did not think it was funny .

History repeats itself and CMs deserve better...

FussyElmo
30-10-2014, 09:53 AM
It all seems really worrying to me. A large 'academy' with 6 nurseries already looking to recruit childminders, It all sounds very business like.

Seems that I'm making the right decision to give up in Sept 16 if this is the way its going.

The website looks more like a dating agency rather than someone looking for a childminder. The mugshots don't look like any childminders I've seen .. lol (Apoloies Bunyip if you are similar looking to one of these chaps)

I find Bunyip to be more Iron Man than Batman but does have the batman voice down to a tee :littleangel::littleangel::littleangel:

Simona
05-03-2015, 09:23 AM
In addition to St Bede's Academy ...has anyone been able to access the websites of the 3 Ofsted registered agencies and found anything useful?

The other school now registered is Northumberland Church of England Academy (NCEA)...is it a coincidence that this one like St Bede's is an Academy?
I believe Trio Childcare is now registered as well but I am missing the 4th one despite searching the Ofsted website...has anyone found any more?

PS: I think it is @Home Childcare...so 3 agencies in the North and one in the south.

mama2three
05-03-2015, 04:01 PM
@homechildcare still say their service will be unveiled in the coming months! @homechildcare.co.uk (http://homechildcare.co.uk/)

natlou82
05-03-2015, 04:34 PM
It will be interesting if it is @homechildcare as that is local to myself and funnily enough we are about to lose our local pacey team and I'm at a loss at to what our LA support looks like. I'm also starting my level 3 training with them so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled and ears open x

Simona
05-03-2015, 05:41 PM
None of the 4 websites give any info on anything
St Bede's has a section with question on charges which they do not respond to

NCEA has nothing on being registered but they were advertised in NWorld with 4 Children's support...that ad is enough to make you yell....Google it and read it

Trio talk about scaremongering but no further info

@Home Childcare say they will announce further plans in future

Why the secrecy if they are registered?..all we want to know is how many CMs have switched over to them and how many they are currently registering...simple!
Not even Sue Robb would answer that last week but our LA told us what they would charge...ha ha ...I am still laughing :laughing:

In addition CMs agencies can now access a DfE grant to set up...£1,000 which is U turn on being self funded...smell a rat?

k1rstie
05-03-2015, 06:30 PM
The @homechildcare site looks VERY interesting. On the page for parents, it's says the cost of care is £4.17 per hour, and you only pay for what you use. At £4.17, I wonder what the childminders gets paid?

lollipop kid
05-03-2015, 06:39 PM
The @homechildcare site looks VERY interesting. On the page for parents, it's says the cost of care is £4.17 per hour, and you only pay for what you use. At £4.17, I wonder what the childminders gets paid?

This is why I would not go near an Agency. I bet the Childminder gets minimum wage, and has no choice but to take whichever 3 EY children she is given, regardless of how they 'gel' together. And I further bet that at the first accident/incident, it will be put down to poor standards on the childminder's part; then it will be 'bye-bye' (unsupported) childminder. The Agency will be blameless, and will write it off as having made a poor recruitment choice.

Shudder!

:censored:

moggy
05-03-2015, 06:48 PM
This is why I would not go near an Agency. I bet the Childminder gets minimum wage, and has no choice but to take whichever 3 EY children she is given, regardless of how they 'gel' together. And I further bet that at the first accident/incident, it will be put down to poor standards on the childminder's part; then it will be 'bye-bye' (unsupported) childminder. The Agency will be blameless, and will write it off as having made a poor recruitment choice.

Shudder!

:censored:

FAQs (http://www.athomechildcare.co.uk/looking-for-childcare/faqs)

But this price and all the info is all about 'HOME childcarers'= athomechildcare-employed nannies, not childminders.

No mention of children going for child care at a child minders house at all on this website, that I can find...?? Only that more info about how they will support childminders will come out in future months.

Smiley
05-03-2015, 06:51 PM
St Bedes says first childminder being signed up very soon and their Facebook page says many more in the pipeline!

lollipop kid
05-03-2015, 06:57 PM
FAQs (http://www.athomechildcare.co.uk/looking-for-childcare/faqs)

But this price and all the info is all about 'HOME childcarers'= athomechildcare-employed nannies, not childminders.

No mention of children going for child care at a child minders house at all on this website, that I can find...?? Only that more info about how they will support childminders will come out in future months.

Good spot, Moggy. I will be watching that with interest. Can't see the Agency being anything other than a profit centre, though, with a team of 'employed' home childminders on their books, all earning minimum wage, and all being disposable. (Like a Temp Agency.)

Here's hoping I'm wrong, for the children's sake. :panic:

L

blue bear
05-03-2015, 09:03 PM
St Bedes says first childminder being signed up very soon and their Facebook page says many more in the pipeline!

I couldn't help it :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
So much for the huge success it was predicted.

Simona
05-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Do not trust anything just because it is not 'in print'.
Lots is going on behind the scenes despite the fact agencies are hardly in the news

Keep your eyes and ears open and keep asking questions.

Kiddleywinks
06-03-2015, 06:50 AM

Is it possible they have to finish their training first......? :p

k1rstie
06-03-2015, 07:19 AM

Ah, just spotted. The Case study described the kids as being 'cared for in their own home'

Simona
06-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Is it possible they have to finish their training first......? :p

Kiddleywinks Who is finishing their training? ...........the Cms joining or the agency itself?

K1rstie.....@Home Childcare are an 'AGENCY' already for nannies although they also offer CMinding services and have branched off in Home Childcare

It says in one of their various website pages 'we employ you'....so I assume those cms who have given up end up being employed by the agency...not sure as I do not want to speculate.

As we already know Cms agencies can employ cms or allow them to remain self employed...the consequences are not to be taken lightly by any cm wishing to join or the agency itself if things go wrong.

One thing no one has spotted is that £4.17...if that is true is what they pay hourly...is well below the minimum wage
I understand that not paying the MW is illegal....can anyone confirm that?

loocyloo
06-03-2015, 08:31 AM
I might be wrong but I think in a private 'domestic' situation you don't have to pay minimum wage, however, I can't see that an agency can call itself a private domestic anything!

Simona
06-03-2015, 08:46 AM
I might be wrong but I think in a private 'domestic' situation you don't have to pay minimum wage, however, I can't see that an agency can call itself a private domestic anything!

If an agency employs anyone in any shape or form or situation or role ...they are an employer and would use PAYE...correct me if wrong
@Home Childcare will not be a private domestic anything...they will be registered.
Maybe you are thinking of a private arrangement between ...say...a cleaner and whoever requires the cleaning? that is a private arrangement and usually people receive cash in hand....usually around £10 in my area.

For an agency that goes on and on about giving CMs a 'choice' this is a very poor one ...if those wages turn out to be true....that is why I am asking cms to keep their eyes and ears open and ...ask questions.

moggy
06-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Kiddleywinks Who is finishing their training? ...........the Cms joining or the agency itself?

K1rstie.....@Home Childcare are an 'AGENCY' already for nannies although they also offer CMinding services and have branched off in Home Childcare

It says in one of their various website pages 'we employ you'....so I assume those cms who have given up end up being employed by the agency...not sure as I do not want to speculate.

As we already know Cms agencies can employ cms or allow them to remain self employed...the consequences are not to be taken lightly by any cm wishing to join or the agency itself if things go wrong.

One thing no one has spotted is that £4.17...if that is true is what they pay hourly...is well below the minimum wage
I understand that not paying the MW is illegal....can anyone confirm that?

I spotted that £4.17 cost-to-parents above and it was for employed-nannies and signaled as a 'prices from...' or such-like. How they achieve that rate is not explained but could be with nanny-share or who-knows-what other costs on top. No relation to agency-childminder rates which no one is publishing yet, it seems.

Simona
06-03-2015, 09:05 AM
I spotted that £4.17 cost-to-parents above and it was for employed-nannies and signaled as a 'prices from...' or such-like. How they achieve that rate is not explained but could be with nanny-share or who-knows-what other costs on top. No relation to agency-childminder rates which no one is publishing yet, it seems.

For cms who join an agency there will be a package...cms pay a yearly fee in return for whatever services they buy which will include various bits and pieces
Unless the agency employs cms an hourly fee is not discussed yet.
The agency also has to pay a registration fee to be inspected...so far I don't think any agency has been inspected only registered and that may be the reason they cannot state the cost of their package?

You are right ...no agency has so far said what they would charge cms...let alone parents.

My LA actually told us what the would charge cms ...they have already 'drafted' a leaflet and distributed to cms...but no charge to parents they say...they have gone further than anyone else so far....which in itself is very questionable !

Personally having an agency on my doorstep has changed the perception of agencies...it is not anymore what I see in a website for an agency miles away but what I will experience first hand.

Kiddleywinks
06-03-2015, 11:19 AM

The childminders joining
I would imagine, given the strength of feeling about established minders retaining their independance, that an agency model would appeal mostly to new minders.

Most of us got into childminding because we wanted to stay home for our own children, initially at least, being 'your own boss' is daunting to say the least - understanding the self assessment protocols, keeping accurate records, etc, but there was a considerable amount of support readily available that helped overcome those fears.
Face to face support over the last say, 10 years, has seen a huge drop, so for a parent looking at returning to work to still have the flexibility of being around for their own child/ren but without the confidence to 'go it alone' I can see an agency being a viable option.

It's a big uncertain jump to go self employed, especially when finding the funds now to complete the training puts it out of reach for a lot of people that are starting with pretty much nothing to begin with (those of us that have lived on benefits will understand how difficult it is to 'save' £20 let alone £200 or more)

I myself was more inclined to do childminder training because the course was 'free'
I'd have found it nigh on impossible to come up with the best part of £600 to pay for everything like they do now. (yes I know there's a £500 grant available but you only get that AFTER you become registered)

If an agency had come along and offered to train me, you, anyone else, pay direct, sourced work, did the accounting side of things including having to chase parents, then I would imagine a lot of us would have seriously considered it

We wouldn't now because we know how things work, we all know we're 'better off' doing it ourselves etc, but I can see how newbies could be persuaded easily to join an agency

Simona
06-03-2015, 11:37 AM
The childminders joining
I would imagine, given the strength of feeling about established minders retaining their independance, that an agency model would appeal mostly to new minders.

Most of us got into childminding because we wanted to stay home for our own children, initially at least, being 'your own boss' is daunting to say the least - understanding the self assessment protocols, keeping accurate records, etc, but there was a considerable amount of support readily available that helped overcome those fears.
Face to face support over the last say, 10 years, has seen a huge drop, so for a parent looking at returning to work to still have the flexibility of being around for their own child/ren but without the confidence to 'go it alone' I can see an agency being a viable option.

It's a big uncertain jump to go self employed, especially when finding the funds now to complete the training puts it out of reach for a lot of people that are starting with pretty much nothing to begin with (those of us that have lived on benefits will understand how difficult it is to 'save' £20 let alone £200 or more)

I myself was more inclined to do childminder training because the course was 'free'
I'd have found it nigh on impossible to come up with the best part of £600 to pay for everything like they do now. (yes I know there's a £500 grant available but you only get that AFTER you become registered)

If an agency had come along and offered to train me, you, anyone else, pay direct, sourced work, did the accounting side of things including having to chase parents, then I would imagine a lot of us would have seriously considered it

We wouldn't now because we know how things work, we all know we're 'better off' doing it ourselves etc, but I can see how newbies could be persuaded easily to join an agency

Got you...I agree on many areas

I am against agencies for one main reason and have never changed my mind: it is the deregulation of cms and takes us back years.
Had cms being able to keep their individual inspection the whole thing would be different.

I believe, whether in an agency or independent, CMs will have to dish out a lot of money for any training or support but there are organisations setting up to include Cms unable to access any LA's training unless they pay for it.

Agencies will be many different models and each one can do as they please ...no guidance on that.

All I am trying to do is ask cms to be alert...it appears that nothing is happening but that is exactly what worries me.
I have attended many meetings etc etc to know different now and it has cost a bomb...but worth the investment!

Simona
06-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Clarification...I am not sure if @Home Childcare is a registered Cms agency...maybe they are in the process of doing so

I have just received confirmation of the 4th agency
I have contacted them but they have nothing on their website as yet but have confirmed they are registered with Ofsted...they are in London and cover many LAs

Also confirmed as registered are Trio, St Bedes and NCEA.

lollipop kid
06-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Clarification...I am not sure if @Home Childcare is a registered Cms agency...maybe they are in the process of doing so

I have just received confirmation of the 4th agency
I have contacted them but they have nothing on their website as yet but have confirmed they are registered with Ofsted...they are in London and cover many LAs

Also confirmed as registered are Trio, St Bedes and NCEA.

What is the name of the London one, please, Simona?

L

Simona
06-03-2015, 05:39 PM
What is the name of the London one, please, Simona?

L

I am not ignoring your question Lollipop
I would like to find all the registered agencies on the Ofsted website...I have spent hours but all I get is info on setting them up and blah blah blah
The names do not pop up when I enter them

I have been told by several people they are there...so I am doing something not quite right not to get a result

Would anyone else like to try and see if they succeed?...that would help
Once I see them all I will also post the 4th agency's name.....it is an unusual company ...that's is why I am being cautious and want to be 100% sure.
despite the fact it was confirmed when I rang them

At our recent meeting with our LA and Sue Robb of 4 Children I asked if she would mention the 4 agencies' names...I didn't get anywhere...she said they are on the Ofsted website but we were promised they would be in the minutes.
These have now been emailed to cms...following Sue Robb's endorsement...therefore the info must be right.

Bear with me and I will definitely come back.

moggy
06-03-2015, 07:14 PM
I am not ignoring your question Lollipop
I would like to find all the registered agencies on the Ofsted website...I have spent hours but all I get is info on setting them up and blah blah blah
The names do not pop up when I enter them

I have been told by several people they are there...so I am doing something not quite right not to get a result

Would anyone else like to try and see if they succeed?...that would help
Once I see them all I will also post the 4th agency's name.....it is an unusual company ...that's is why I am being cautious and want to be 100% sure.
despite the fact it was confirmed when I rang them

At our recent meeting with our LA and Sue Robb of 4 Children I asked if she would mention the 4 agencies' names...I didn't get anywhere...she said they are on the Ofsted website but we were promised they would be in the minutes.
These have now been emailed to cms...following Sue Robb's endorsement...therefore the info must be right.

Bear with me and I will definitely come back.

I have had a good search of Ofsted website and can find no list of the registered agencies. Not sure why/where there would be- there is no list of ICMers or nurseries or school or any other Ofsted-registered setting so why list the agencies?

Simona
06-03-2015, 08:12 PM
I have had a good search of Ofsted website and can find no list of the registered agencies. Not sure why/where there would be- there is no list of ICMers or nurseries or school or any other Ofsted-registered setting so why list the agencies?

Thank you for spending your time searching on the website
I don' t know the answer to your question ...but...I have no reason to disbelieve those who have told me the info is out there

I will need time to look into this further until I have the answer I need.

moggy
06-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Thank you for spending your time searching on the website
I don' t know the answer to your question ...but...I have no reason to disbelieve those who have told me the info is out there

I will need time to look into this further until I have the answer I need.

Ah, I have got it! Go to Ofsted search for Ofsted reports page...

Find an Ofsted inspection report (http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/)

First section:

Search by name, address or Unique Reference Number (URN)

Just select 'childminder agency' from the 'Provider Type' drop-down list

And 4 are listed.

moggy
06-03-2015, 08:36 PM
It is public information on Ofsted website so I am copy-pasting it here to save everyone searching (I see their reg numbers are 000001, 2, 5 and 6... I wonder where 3 and 4 are?):

The Northumberland Church of England Academy Childminding Agency
Northumberland Church of England Academy , Josephine Butler Campus , Academy Road , Ashington , Northumberland, NE63 9FZ
URN: CA000002
Provider type: Childminder Agency

St Bede Childminder Agency
St Bede Primary Academy, Morris Green Lane, Bolton, Greater Manchester, BL3 3LJ
URN: CA000001

Trio Childcare Connections Limited
64 Basepoint Business Centre, Rivermead Drive, Westlea, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN5 7EX
URN: CA000005

Daryel Care
Kaamil Education LTD, 108 Regent Studios, 1 Thane Villas, London, Greater London, N7 7PH
URN: CA000006

rickysmiths
06-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Here is the London one clearly registered so nothing to be secretive about, they registered in Dec 2014, there is even their phone number so any of us could ring them to ask what areas they cover and how to join. I hope they are as successful as the other three have been so far. St Bede's has no cm signed up so far and no new ones training so a resounding success! :rolleyes: Our LA Hertfordshire did research about starting an Agency and they reported that it would cost a childminder a min of approx £880 per yer to give them a package that gave them the min legal training so First Aid and Child Protection so the equivalent of something like 5 ours Professional Development a year. they said that was not sustainable for any cm and have decided not to set up an Agency. Added that most of the local cm are not the slightest interested anyway!

Ofsted | Daryel Care (http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/CA000006)

Simona
06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
It is public information on Ofsted website so I am copy-pasting it here to save everyone searching (I see their reg numbers are 000001, 2, 5 and 6... I wonder where 3 and 4 are?):

The Northumberland Church of England Academy Childminding Agency
Northumberland Church of England Academy , Josephine Butler Campus , Academy Road , Ashington , Northumberland, NE63 9FZ
URN: CA000002

St Bede Childminder Agency
St Bede Primary Academy, Morris Green Lane, Bolton, Greater Manchester, BL3 3LJ
URN: CA000001

Trio Childcare Connections Limited
64 Basepoint Business Centre, Rivermead Drive, Westlea, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN5 7EX
URN: CA000005

Daryel Care
Kaamil Education LTD, 108 Regent Studios, 1 Thane Villas, London, Greater London, N7 7PH
URN: CA000006

Well done Moggy....I obviously have no skills in searching Ofsted websites...hahahaha!
Daryel Care is the one I was referring to

RS...I didn't mean for it to be a secrecy...I just wanted to be sure....it begs the questions why those in charge of this sorry saga were so reluctant to name the 4?....or had to be asked so often?
Now it is public knowledge I leave it to CMs to work it out who they are and what knowledge they have of CMs?
I did ring them...hope others will do so too after looking at their website.....see if you get more info than I did.

moggy
07-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Yes, Simona, I do find it amazing that 4 companies all launching new business enterprises are not singing it from the roof tops!

Where are the adverts, the promotions, the positive advertorials, the special 'sign-up now' offers, the stands at trade fairs (were they at the Expo?)... It is like they are bit ashamed or really not quite sure what they are doing or why they are doing it?

Simona
07-03-2015, 08:02 AM
Yes, Simona, I do find it amazing that 4 companies all launching new business enterprises are not singing it from the roof tops!

Where are the adverts, the promotions, the positive advertorials, the special 'sign-up now' offers, the stands at trade fairs (were they at the Expo?)... It is like they are bit ashamed or really not quite sure what they are doing or why they are doing it?

Has that not actually crossed every Cm's mind and caused concern?
do you yourself not think it is very strange that these 4 agencies are so very 'laid back' and quiet? do they actually have to do anything or are they being told they have passed the first hurdle...now they can sit and wait.

It has crossed mine but maybe that is the result of attending too many meetings and conferences and speaking to different people and different associations and asking questions and basically getting off my bottom to nose around and getting the gist of what is happening.
The perception of agencies has certainly changed out there

That is the very reason Moggy I have revived this thread because there is not enough noise being made about the agencies that are registered and those currently in the process....and those who will be registering soon....some will be quite a surprise to cms.

Too many CMs are feeling very safe just because they have decided to 'stay independent'...I wish they would think outside of the box for just one minute, worry about what could happen if this govt gets re elected.

There are so many things we are forgetting that have happened in the last 3 years...the main one is that the rest of the sector has also forgotten about CMs agencies...conveniently so maybe?...or inconveniently so?

You should have been at our CMs/agency meeting with Sue Robb...it was very obvious she did not like the questions....criceky I have met her on several occasions and she never likes the questions!

When I asked her the name of the 4 registered agencies she could not recall them?....oh yes! and this is the woman given a load of money to advertise and push agencies? sadly she is also very much disliked by a huge amount of people regardless of her being the DfE Strategic Partner.

Have Cms come across the advert from NCEA endorsed by 4 Children and posted in a full page advert in Nursery World?
it has caused a bit of a stir ...I cannot put the link here because it will definitely be deleted...I'll see if I can 'copy and paste' it.

Have you come across the film with Pacey and Trio now a registered agency?

I repeat what I have said before ...all I am trying to do is to remind Cms to be alert...just because you see and hear nothing it does not mean nothing is happening.
I have no idea what goes on in FB but there is a lot going on outside of this forum that does not get reported here and I see some Cms being very pro active against agencies..

Jayse74
11-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Have you all seen this?

BBC News - Northumberland academy to help children from birth (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-31806000)

I think somebody has opened the gate to the paddock!

Ashington school to become the first in the North East to take in pupils from birth - Chronicle Live (http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/ashington-school-become-first-north-8809175)

natlou82
11-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Oh dear the phrase "from cradle to university" is very unsettling!

rickysmiths
11-03-2015, 03:44 PM
If you read it they will be using Childminders for the babies to Pre Schoolers and working with them!

So thy are going to be an Agency I suspect. They will have to get Childminders to sign up first and none of the other Agencies have managed to do that yet even Mrs Truss's wonderful St Bedes which was registered back in October.

I can't see this working if there are good cm in the area who want to remain Independent.

rickysmiths
11-03-2015, 03:59 PM
Well done Moggy....I obviously have no skills in searching Ofsted websites...hahahaha!
Daryel Care is the one I was referring to

RS...I didn't mean for it to be a secrecy...I just wanted to be sure....it begs the questions why those in charge of this sorry saga were so reluctant to name the 4?....or had to be asked so often?
Now it is public knowledge I leave it to CMs to work it out who they are and what knowledge they have of CMs?
I did ring them...hope others will do so too after looking at their website.....see if you get more info than I did.

Right I have just rung Daryel Agency on the 0207 number on their Ofsted Registration and spoken to Henry!

It doesn't sound very hopeful and Henry didn't seem very clear what was happening! Are we surprised.

They will be covering Islington, Harringay, Enfield, Hackney, Waltham Forest and Camden. They are not open yet but are hoping to open by the end of April as long as talks go well with Councils, not sure what that means because as far as I am aware Councils don't have anything to do with the setting up of Childminding Agencies (please correct me if I have this wrong). No idea of costs they will be set when the childminding coordinator is appointed ( job going if anyone fancies it!). It will depend on cms experience, training etc he thinks so they have clearly thought that one through haven't they.

They are intending to cover a much larger area than any of the others, in fact a vast area. I wonder how many cms there are already registered in those areas and if there is a need for more?

No a very inspiring chat and if I lived in that area, he didn't ask me and didn't offer to take my details and call me back when they were ready for business.

Simona
11-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Right I have just rung Daryel Agency on the 0207 number on their Ofsted Registration and spoken to Henry!

It doesn't sound very hopeful and Henry didn't seem very clear what was happening! Are we surprised.

They will be covering Islington, Harringay, Enfield, Hackney, Waltham Forest and Camden. They are not open yet but are hoping to open by the end of April as long as talks go well with Councils, not sure what that means because as far as I am aware Councils don't have anything to do with the setting up of Childminding Agencies (please correct me if I have this wrong). No idea of costs they will be set when the childminding coordinator is appointed ( job going if anyone fancies it!). It will depend on cms experience, training etc he thinks so they have clearly thought that one through haven't they.

They are intending to cover a much larger area than any of the others, in fact a vast area. I wonder how many cms there are already registered in those areas and if there is a need for more?

No a very inspiring chat and if I lived in that area, he didn't ask me and didn't offer to take my details and call me back when they were ready for business.

Maybe the helpful Henry you spoke to you was on a break when I rang them? because the guy who answered my queries hardly spoke English...sorry not trying to be funny but it did not inspire much confidence.

He knew nothing, zilch, zero ...apart from the basics....oh but he did want my name to put me on the waiting list so I could receive more info when the agency ball got rolling
I politely refused and asked where they would advertise their agency...I have not found that link yet

Do google their website and look at who they are and what they do.

Daryel Care is what they are registered under for Ofsted but who runs them is on their registration certificate.

I wish I felt a little dismissive about agencies but...with one growing under my very nose I feel rather different.

rickysmiths
12-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Maybe the helpful Henry you spoke to you was on a break when I rang them? because the guy who answered my queries hardly spoke English...sorry not trying to be funny but it did not inspire much confidence.

He knew nothing, zilch, zero ...apart from the basics....oh but he did want my name to put me on the waiting list so I could receive more info when the agency ball got rolling
I politely refused and asked where they would advertise their agency...I have not found that link yet

Do google their website and look at who they are and what they do.

Daryel Care is what they are registered under for Ofsted but who runs them is on their registration certificate.

I wish I felt a little dismissive about agencies but...with one growing under my very nose I feel rather different.

Oh no the 'helpful Henry' sounds exactly like your guy. Very poor English and quite hard to understand.

Simona
13-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Oh no the 'helpful Henry' sounds exactly like your guy. Very poor English and quite hard to understand.

Well I am still uncertain from my additional phone call yesterday.
Indeed Henry is in charge of this agency but he was busy when I called...unfortunately I had difficulties in understanding the person who answered the phone in his place but called again when Henry was available.

I queried who is in charge...Daryel Care or Kaamil Education... because if they are registered that means they have had to put forward a plan and go through the Ofsted assessment process....at the moment is like a 'one man band'...in other words Henry?...not convincing enough.

They are putting together a website and hope to be up and running by end of April ...or maybe May...so very vague.
By the end Henry got a bit rattled by my questions when he understood I had read all the DfE and Ofsted documents regarding the agency saga.

I can see why any agency may need to liaise with any LA and this is my understanding...prospective cms will contact their LAs to register but they must be given the option of registering with Ofsted or signposted to an agency if that is what they want to do.

As an example... the company setting up an agency in my LA also runs the 'briefing sessions' and they will give new cms the option....so they say.
Having an agency so close to us is useful as we can query equal opportunity for advertising and support ...Cms did at our recent meeting and I am sure we will continue to query them at out next meeting in 2 weeks' time

In the case of Daryel Care their expertise is in looking after the elderly...so they may need support in several areas such as assessment and QI?...somehow I don't think Henry will do that

Their registration number is CA 00006...does that mean there 6 not 4 agencies registered?

This is their website for anyone to draw their own conclusions.
Daryel Care | Home Care, Nursing and Personal Support in London (http://www.daryelcare.co.uk/)

More info here.
Daryel Care (http://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-1107223748)

Mouse
13-03-2015, 09:50 AM
I can see there are going to be 2 sorts of agencies. Those who are established nurseries, schools etc, who see it as an extension to the services they already offer and not necessarily a money making exercise. Then those who are in it for the money, have no experience in childcare, have little or no understanding of how childminding works, but think it's a great business to add to their portfolio :rolleyes:

Simona
13-03-2015, 01:06 PM
I can see there are going to be 2 sorts of agencies. Those who are established nurseries, schools etc, who see it as an extension to the services they already offer and not necessarily a money making exercise. Then those who are in it for the money, have no experience in childcare, have little or no understanding of how childminding works, but think it's a great business to add to their portfolio :rolleyes:

I agree as we know the agencies 'models' can vary from money making to Social Enterprises...but...the aim of agencies is to raise the quality of cms....or so the rhetoric goes.

I can't imagine how this is to be achieved by those who know little...not only of cms but of EY quality in particular.
I believe this is what we should keep in mind at all times...Cms will be thrown at the mercy of those who make money but will not raise standards.

It may come back to haunt DfE and Ofsted when an agency inspection reveals quality is very low!

rickysmiths
13-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Simona it indicates on their website that they already offer Tutoring services to children but there is no information or even a contact number to find out about it!

Shambolic is the word that comes to mind with dear Henry!! What they are proposing to be doing over such a large area you would hope by now they would be a lot more organised and advertizing for business. They are clearly in it to make money so you would think for such a big operation they would need to be bringing in money from day one? It might even be funny if it wasn't so scary.

Hey Ho what to I know about running an EY business!! :laughing::laughing:

Simona
13-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Simona it indicates on their website that they already offer Tutoring services to children but there is no information or even a contact number to find out about it!

Shambolic is the word that comes to mind with dear Henry!! What they are proposing to be doing over such a large area you would hope by now they would be a lot more organised and advertizing for business. They are clearly in it to make money so you would think for such a big operation they would need to be bringing in money from day one? It might even be funny if it wasn't so scary.

Hey Ho what to I know about running an EY business!! :laughing::laughing:

Oh dear ...Mr Henry is causing me a lot of trouble!
Look here...click 'Financial Figures' and then 'Appointments'

Kaamil Education Ltd - Endole (http://www.endole.co.uk/company/07892631/kaamil-education-ltd)

agency12
17-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Hi guys

We are in the process of registering our childminder agency, Ofsted are giving us the once-over shortly and would appreciate your take on what you would expect from agencies going forward - especially if Ofsted remain our (much) cheaper competitor,

Thoughts ?

FloraDora
19-05-2015, 02:27 PM
Hi guys

We are in the process of registering our childminder agency, Ofsted are giving us the once-over shortly and would appreciate your take on what you would expect from agencies going forward - especially if Ofsted remain our (much) cheaper competitor,

Thoughts ?

Not sure about this?
Would be happier if more details given, is this a childminder who is also opening an agency?

Mouse
19-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Hi guys

Thoughts ?

Aw, that's a bit unfair of you to expect us to do your market research without telling us anything about who you are and how you propose to run your agency :laughing:

If Ofsted are ready to give the once-over your business model must be set up and ready to go. It would be great to hear how you plan to do things and maybe then you would get some feedback on your plans.

What will you offer childminders?

How much will it cost parents and/or childminders?

What experience do you have in childcare, particularly childminding?

What areas will you serve?

How do you plan to do things?

Simona
19-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi guys

Thoughts ?

Why do you think that after 35 years of moving forward CMs may now want to regress and become unregistered again?

The 'once over' is your preregistration visit where you need to prove your skills in Quality Assurance, safeguarding, training provision, peer support, supervision, assessment and judgement and ability to improve practice....a huge majority of CMs already show their practice is good/outstanding!
If you do not know what CMs need your members will be doomed....and their grade too!

I expect agencies to flop and huge resistance to them from CMs and the sector.
If you are referring to the cheaper registration then you must wait until our fee comes up for review....it is bound to be.

Ofsted is not a much cheaper competitor...Ofsted is the inspectorate...warts and all ....and for me the devil I know is better than an untested one!

Mouse
21-05-2015, 08:17 AM
I see St Bede is ready to register their first childminder. Still very evasive on exactly what they will offer and how much it will cost.

I have to be honest (and I know this may be an unpopular view) I don't have a problem with somewhere like St Bede setting up as an agency. I'm sure their way of working will appeal to some childminders, or some of those those hoping to register. I don't think they're out to take over the childminding world or do away with independent childminders. I think they are simply trying to expand their portfolio of services. It's a shame their info is all so secretive still, but I guess that might be to do with the hostility they're faced with, or with the fact that they're still working out exactly how things are going to work.

My concerns still remain with any agencies that set up purely as profit making businesses (not that I think they will succeed if that is their agenda), or if we find ourselves pushed towards joining an agency. That seems unlikely at the moment though considering there are so few of them.

lollipop kid
21-05-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm a little uncomfortable, not to mention surprised, that a Childminder Agency, who we know nothing about (Agency 12) is using this forum/searching around on it for tips - can't they get their own forum, or if they don't have one yet, set one up?

Just saying!

:D

L

sarah707
21-05-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm a little uncomfortable, not to mention surprised, that a Childminder Agency, who we know nothing about (Agency 12) is using this forum/searching around on it for tips - can't they get their own forum, or if they don't have one yet, set one up?

Just saying!

:D

L

The Childminding Forum is here for all childminders - including childminders who want to join agencies.

It was a tough decision for admin to make especially as none of us are intending to join an agency and as members know we have campaigned against them.

However, we feel that all our members need somewhere to come and ask questions - we have set up the Facebook group for independent childminders and we have sections here on the Forum for both agency and independent childminders.

I hope that clarifies our thinking :D

lollipop kid
21-05-2015, 07:17 PM
The Childminding Forum is here for all childminders - including childminders who want to join agencies.

It was a tough decision for admin to make especially as none of us are intending to join an agency and as members know we have campaigned against them.

However, we feel that all our members need somewhere to come and ask questions - we have set up the Facebook group for independent childminders and we have sections here on the Forum for both agency and independent childminders.

I hope that clarifies our thinking :D

Thanks. Grateful for the excellent job the forum already does for Independent Childminders, and appreciate that Individual Agency Childminders would equally benefit. But an Agency itself (Agency 12 - see post number 66 on this thread) on the forum? Just a bit baffled, that's all.

PS: When I said in my earlier post, "Can't they get their own forum?" I meant can't the Agencies set up their own forum, so that the Agencies can help each other. (I was being a bit tongue in cheek, as I understand that we'd have more luck finding hen's teeth than Agencies at the present time).

:eek:

L

Simona
22-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Those on twitter can follow St Bede CM Agency...they are about to register their 1st CM....or so the message said in February 2015
This is their link and yes they do have far reaching childcare services...just what the govt want including the EY sector led by schools.
St.Bede Childminding Agency | Bolton | Wigan & Leigh (http://www.stbede-childminders.co.uk/)

Considering how fast their registration happened ...no 16 weeks' wait for them ...and that there was a queue of CMs waiting I am holding my breath.
St Bede's is the DfE strategic partner in this agency saga...they are often in the news as a very successful academy.

Soon we will find out more on who will be registering as an agency...remember those huge funding the DfE handed to charities to facilitate agencies in the last 2 years?

I agree to a point that the way a CM agency works will appeal to some CMs...yes those new ones who have never run a business or handled the paperwork we have...I can see the attraction there....the agency will be their nanny state and do it all maybe?
Maybe those unemployed mothers and disadvantaged men being currently recruited as Cms do not really cherish the red tape. I am sure CMs have seen that bit of news?
It was the only argument I agreed with Truss...she thought anyone could be a CM but not anyone could run a business, a small self employed business and all it entails and that is not just the annual Tax return!

The main hostility against agencies is ...was and will remain...the withdrawal of individual inspection....the 'deregulation of CMs'...it will keep those against it fighting till the end....sad the rest of the sector has not grasped what it means.

The other is the fact that agencies will save Ofsted a load of money...I doubt Ofsted will be immune from coming govt cuts.
Wilshaw said 'CMs are too expensive to register and inspect'...and the rest is history
So my wild guess is...and it is an educated guess...our registration will finally be reviewed by DfE...agency 12 should know it is DfE that sets it not Ofsted and Truss froze it for 1 year only at £35.

Many who were against agencies now welcome them as members of anything....and I am not just referring to this forum....I am referring to many representing bodies and such like who will welcome the agency as they will the agency members.

Agencies can be money making businesses or Social Enterprises...my LA will be a SE.
SE means they do have to make money to pay staff wages, monitoring visits, training, Ofsted registration and expenses but they re invest the rest of the profit in the business....whichever they are they have to charge to keep the business afloat.

This forum, like I assume many others, is open for ICMs and those who want to join or will join an agency.

We shall have to wait and see if when they have joined an agency those Cms will require so mush support considering the agency is the one to provide it for them...interesting!

I had no problems with answering Agency12 questions in this thread...many did ...what is annoying is the lack of response....if you asked a question please come back and acknowledge it.

As Sarah says this forum is open to all CMs but agency 12 is an unknown quantity to us...she/he may be a CM or an agency...or anyone.

Lollipop kid....I too am baffled by the questions posed, the use of the 'once over' used to describe what is a very extensive and rigorous Ofsted registration visit and the very questions about what do CMs want from an agency....baffling !

If I wanted to join agency12 I would want to be reassured all is clear to those setting up and the agency ready to offer me the required support....not asking others just before registration.

agency12
24-05-2015, 09:54 AM
Many thank for the replies, positive and negative

Points about having 'our own' forum taken, but I'm having the same issues identifying fellow apply'ees, ofsted seem to like what we have presented - the meeting still to happen..

They are asking specifics about our senco support, which implies (to me) that we will be
taking a bigger support role than originally made clear, I'll keep you guys up to date

The what would you guys want is more of a what could a group provide (other than marketing) - we were thinking along the lines of group purchasing, training, group events and social stuff

Simona
25-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Many thank for the replies, positive and negative

Points about having 'our own' forum taken, but I'm having the same issues identifying fellow apply'ees, ofsted seem to like what we have presented - the meeting still to happen..

They are asking specifics about our senco support, which implies (to me) that we will be
taking a bigger support role than originally made clear, I'll keep you guys up to date

The what would you guys want is more of a what could a group provide (other than marketing) - we were thinking along the lines of group purchasing, training, group events and social stuff

Thank you for coming back agency12...our replies were not negative but constructively critical based on the terminology you used and the info you required.

You now mention you will have a 'meeting'....if I understand how agencies work from my own LA experience: you will have produced a very ' detailed plan' for Ofsted on which model you intend to use, then you apply and pay a registration fee and then Ofsted come along for the registration visit and yes they need to ensure you have all the safeguarding in place and are able to offer that support.

This is the sector's and Ofsted's main concern with any agency...a risk too far if this is not tested to the limit.....I am not reassured at this point because the SENCO in an agency will be the agency itself...that I am aware of, so sorry your answer is very unclear and doubly concerning if you say it was not the support role you envisaged?

Marketing is part of the package for agency cms for obvious reasons...as will be their own social media such as FB or similar...training is a 'must' ...the social stuff not obligatory....purchasing is also what many will offer.

Thank you again for the reply ...you certainly have given me some worrying points on which to continue our opposition to agencies.