PDA

View Full Version : Ggrrrrr!!!

smurfette
27-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Really annoyed this am.. Why is it that we don't get paid for time off lol?!!

One of our best friends dad's has passed away over the weekend. I want to go to the funeral but in order to do that I have to lose money we can't afford to lose.
Dh is fab and very supportive of my job but he gets on my wick when every time I want to take time off he says 'but we can't afford to be down x amount' he has talked me into and fully supported me working four days a week now with a Friday off but because we are so dependent on my money it makes it difficult to take time off . He always then backtracks
And says 'it's fine.. Take it off we will work out the money it's more important blah blah' but the damage is done and of
Course it has been my first thought too.. Really hate this aspect of the job! Sorry just needed a rant

mrsb79
27-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I hate having to take days off too, considering you have Friday's off and under the circumstances can you not just swap your day off to allow you to go to the funeral and work the friday. Sorry I'm not much help but totally understand I've got to go and have dilation drops on Wednesday and I'm working but luckily only till two but to take the day off I would lose a lot of money so thanks to my brilliant back up minder she's gonna help me out and watch the kids whilst I go for my appointment and stay with me till after they've gone as my vision may be affected. Hope you work it out x

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

smurfette
27-10-2014, 01:30 PM
I hate having to take days off too, considering you have Friday's off and under the circumstances can you not just swap your day off to allow you to go to the funeral and work the friday. Sorry I'm not much help but totally understand I've got to go and have dilation drops on Wednesday and I'm working but luckily only till two but to take the day off I would lose a lot of money so thanks to my brilliant back up minder she's gonna help me out and watch the kids whilst I go for my appointment and stay with me till after they've gone as my vision may be affected. Hope you work it out x Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

I
Can't unfortunately swap as it's halloween and we have plans .. Maybe I could offer another day though, maybe the next Friday .. Thanks !

Mouse
27-10-2014, 01:50 PM
My husband is the opposite. He's forever saying I should take a day off and I have to remind him how much money I would lose!

I know it's often very hard to save any money when things are tight, but could you try and put a little bit away now and again to cover for times when you need a day off? I have a month's money hidden away upstairs, so that if I needed urgent time off I always have something to fall back on. Even hubby doesn't know it's thereand it's completely separate to any other savings. If I were you I would try to save up enough to cover a day off. Even just putting the odd pound (or euro?) away when you can would soon add up.

smurfette
27-10-2014, 03:39 PM
My husband is the opposite. He's forever saying I should take a day off and I have to remind him how much money I would lose! I know it's often very hard to save any money when things are tight, but could you try and put a little bit away now and again to cover for times when you need a day off? I have a month's money hidden away upstairs, so that if I needed urgent time off I always have something to fall back on. Even hubby doesn't know it's thereand it's completely separate to any other savings. If I were you I would try to save up enough to cover a day off. Even just putting the odd pound (or euro?) away when you can would soon add up.

Thank you that's a good idea xx

AliceK
27-10-2014, 05:19 PM
It's awful isn't it.
I haven't had to take an unexpected day off for 5 years before today, however I went to the Dr's today as I am so poorly and she told me I shouldn't be working at all this week. I've had it in the ear from my mum and OH about it but there is no way I can afford to take the rest of this week off plus I can't bear to let down my families especially with it being half term week. I wished this morning I still worked in an office then I could take the week off as told and still be paid for it.

xxxx

ziggy
28-10-2014, 10:25 AM
know just how you feel. I had last week off for few days in Amsterdam (first proper holiday in 12yrs) then took yesterday off as it was anniversary of my husbands death. Very old friend about to die and her funeral could well be this friday, I just cant afford to take another day off this month. If funeral is next week I may go but i hate having to put money before a friend. Big big hugs.

Although nursery I worked at in England didnt pay if we had time off for funerals, dentist appt etc